GLOBE Workshops

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2002
      All,

      We are getting ready for a series of three GLOBE workshops. We still have
      a number of openings. If you are interested, please let us know right away.

      man

      Tribal Schools Ecological Monitoring Project
      Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment
      (TSEMP-GLOBE)

      Dates/Times: Workshop I - Friday, February 22, 2002,
      8:30 am to 4:30 pm
      Saturday, February 23, 2002, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
      (Atmospheric, Soil Temperature, GLOBE Activities,
      Data Entry)
      Location: TBD

      Workshop II - Friday, March 8, 2002,
      8:30 am to 4:30 pm
      Saturday, March 9, 2002, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
      (Project WET, Hydrology, Data Entry)
      Location: TBD

      Workshop III - Friday, April 26, 2002, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
      Saturday, April 27, 2002 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
      (Soil, Land Cover, Data Entry)
      Location: Dine' College Tsaile, Tasile, AZ
      Stipend: Stipend of $60 for each non-contract day. (Teacher must
      attend all sessions, both Friday and Saturday to be eligible for the
      stipend.) Travel and lodging support is provided on a reimbursement basis
      with original receipts and a travel claim form, which will be provided by EEOP.

      Equipment: Each school will be able to order $350 of equipment
      in order to implement
      the GLOBE program for each workshop attended. (Teacher must attend all
      sessions both Friday and Saturday to be eligible for the equipment.)

      Teacher Kits: Each teacher will receive the GLOBE Teacher Guide,
      which provides all
      the instructions needed to implement the GLOBE program.

      Registration:

      Name: ____________________________________

      School: ____________________________________

      Phone: _____________________ Email: ______________________

      Mailing Address: ______________________________________________

      FAX: ____________________

      Select one or more: ____ Workshop I
      ____ Workshop II
      ____ Workshop III

      Send to Mansel.Nelson@... or FAX to 928 523 1280, ATTN: Mansel A. Nelson
      For more information about the GLOBE program, please visit
      http://www.nau.edu/globe

      Project Goals: The Tribal Schools Ecological Monitoring Project (TSEMP) is
      a pilot project to teach and apply ecological concepts and biological
      monitoring skills to teachers and students in selected schools. This
      program advances science curricula, meets state and national science
      standards, and increases interest in science and in environmental
      protection for students. TSEMP aims to establish a long-term monitoring
      system in biologically significant areas on tribal lands.

      GLOBE is worldwide association of students, teacher, and scientists working
      together to better understand the global environment. Students and teachers
      from over 7,000 schools in more than 80 countries are working through GLOBE
      to learn more about our planet. GLOBE students make environmental
      observations at or near their schools and report their data through the
      Internet. Scientists use GLOBE data in their research and provide feedback
      directly to the students. GLOBE's interactivity and direct participation
      ensures computer literacy and promotes student interest and confidence.

      Workshops: To become GLOBE certified teachers participate in one or more of
      the scheduled workshops. Participants learn the GLOBE monitoring
      techniques and how to enter GLOBE data on line. Teachers who complete the
      GLOBE training and implement monitoring projects will earn stipends and
      receive monitoring equipment for their school. Travel and lodging support
      are available on a reimbursement basis.

      Support: EEOP and TNC will coordinate follow-up training and implementation
      at schools and ecological sites. The Native American Environmental
      Education Outreach Program (EEOP) is designed to encourage native students
      to pursue environmental careers and to assist schools in improving
      environmental science literacy. The program is an extension of Northern
      Arizona University's Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals
      (ITEP). The Nature Conservancy is an international nonprofit membership
      organization committed to the global preservation of natural
      diversity. Its mission is to identify and preserve the world's best
      remaining examples of plants, animals, and natural communities by
      protecting the lands and waters they need to survive. The tribal
      environmental offices will also provide on-site technical support to the
      schools.

      Funding: Funding for the TSEMP-GLOBE project is provided by grants from the
      United States Environmental Protection Agency, the Wharton Foundation, and
      the National Science Foundation through the Science Technology Center at
      the University of Arizona.

      Contact: For more information contact:

      Environmental Education Outreach Program PO Box 5765
      Program Coordinator, EEOP - Mansel A. Nelson Flagstaff,
      AZ 86011-5765
      mansel.nelson@...
      Phone: 928 523 1275
      Fax: 928 523 1280

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator Voice 520 523 1275 / 1496
      Northern Arizona University Hanley Hall

      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
      children." Native American Proverb