Programs and Opportunities for Native Students and Educators

  • Mansel Nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2006

      There are 26 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

            1. 2006 Health Center Advocacy Information
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
            2. NAES SIGNS HISTORIC AGREEMENT WITH EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
                 From: dpwiese@...
            3. CCSSO's January 2006 Language, Culture, and Equity e-newsletter
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
            4. Trail of Tears sponsors contest
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
            5. Norm Mineta Internship Summer Deadline Approaching
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
            6. 2005 Summer Educational Opportunities for Students (OK)
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
            7. Discover the promise of FREE college tuition! (OK)
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
            8. University program seeks out American Indians for graduate school (PURDUE)
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
            9. Travel to Indonesia with Global TeachNet
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           10. APAICS 2006 SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           11. EDUCATION DEPARTMENT SEEKS NOMINATIONS FOR 2006 'AMERICAN STARS OF  TEACHING
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           12. 14th Annual Four Corners S~U~N Education Conference "Affirming Diversity Through Education"
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           13. STOP THE RAID UPDATE!
                 From: Alyssa Macy <alyssa@...>
           14. Is Your Campus Sweat Free?
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           15. Project: Valentine's for our Native Troops Overseas
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           16. Workshop "Service Learning with a Human Rights Focus" Boston, March 14, 2006
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           17. Harvard's Administrative Fellowship Program
                 From: "Roth, Geoffrey" <Geoffrey.Roth@...>
           18. Call for participation: International Justice Education Conference (New York, May 3-4, 2006)
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           19. Cook College & Theological School Celebrates 95th Anniversary in 2006
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           20. IHS Scholarship Workshop - Saturday, January 21st! (OK)
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           21. Free training for Native Youth!!! (Mpls)
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           22. Comments Sought
                 From: "apcKaruk" <andrekar@...>
           23. ICONS simulations
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           24. 2006 Human Rights Advocates Program Application - Columbia
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           25. 7th Annual American Indian Studies Consortium (02/15 - 02/16)
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
           26. Upward Bound position opening
                 From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:39:44 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: 2006 Health Center Advocacy Information

      Happy New Year!

      I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all
      your efforts on behalf of health centers and our
      patients in 2005 and to give you a brief heads up on
      what may be happening in early 2006.

      Congress is scheduled to reconvene on January 31st.
      Since 2006 will see the 2nd Session of the 109th
      Congress, all the issues that were unresolved last
      year will continue to be "live" and we will face a
      host of new issues that have dramatic implications for
      health centers and our patients. These include:
      Continuing the fight to stop or mitigate proposed cuts
      in Medicaid that will cause significant harm to health
      center patients.
      Redoubling our efforts to increase funding for health
      centers and other important health programs.
      Beginning the process of working with Congress to
      reauthorize the Health Center program in a way that
      protects the core elements that make health centers
      what they are.
       As we learned in 2005, no matter how much the
      President and Members of Congress say they support
      health centers, we must greatly increase our own
      ability to influence policymakers if we are to survive
      the fiscal pressures that exist in Washington and in
      many states. As a result, I am asking that you do the
      following as we begin 2006:
      Recruit at least five people to join the Health Center
      Advocacy Network. They can do that (or you can sign
      them up) by clicking on the link at the end of this
      message.
      Make a commitment to respond immediately to our
      requests to contact Congress. In 2005, fewer than 20%
      of our advocates actually sent even a single email or
      fax or made a phone call when asked. We have to do
      better if we are to have any influence on what happens
      in 2006.
      Plan to attend the NACHC Policy and Issues Forum in
      Washington, DC on March 26 - 29 and join others from
      your state and Congressional District in personally
      visiting your Senators and Representatives. The
      conference registration brochure is available online
      at www.nachc.com
      Plan to join in the celebration of National Health
      Center Week August 6-12, 2006 and invite your Members
      of congress and state and local officials to visit
      your center.
      I know that many of you found your email boxes filled
      with calls to action as the Congressional session
      wound down in 2005. I wish I could tell you that it
      will be different in 2006. Unfortunately, I have to
      tell you that I think we will need you more, much
      more, not less. As always, we at NACHC and your state
      Primary Care Associations will be working hard in 2006
      to strengthen and protect Health Centers, but we can
      not do it without your active and committed support.
      Advocacy is NOT a spectator sport and we need every
      one of you and many more in the game!

      If you have any questions or thoughts about how we can
      make our advocacy efforts more effective, please let
      me know.

      Thanks again for your efforts in the past. I look
      forward to working with you in 2006.

      Marc Wetherhorn
      National Advocacy Director
      NACHC
      540-942-3862

      Click the link below to proceed to the Action Center:
      http://grassroots.nachc.com/gac.asp?id=nachc:10976866

      Message: 2
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:36:17 -0500
         From: dpwiese@...
      Subject: NAES SIGNS HISTORIC AGREEMENT WITH EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY

      Native American Educational Services Signs Historic Agreement with
      Eastern Illinois University

                  Eastern Illinois University and Native American Educational Services
                  will enter into an historic partnership in January, 2006. The only
                  private Native American college level program in the United States
                  will offer the EIU Bachelor of Arts Degree in General Studies. Both
                  on-line and classroom courses including offerings in  Native American Studies
                  will begin spring semester 2006, through a special memorandum of understanding
                  signed on November 30, 2005, with EIU. For more information contact
                  Dr. Dorene Wiese, dpwiese@....

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:50:00 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: CCSSO's January 2006 Language, Culture, and Equity e-newsletter

      Welcome to the Language, Culture, and Equity
      e-newsletter, a free
      publication from CCSSO focusing on efforts at the
      state and district
      level
      to strengthen the quality of instruction for English
      language learners
      and
      Native American students and to improve their academic
      achievement. The
      purpose of this newsletter is to provide links to
      recent reports,
      studies,
      legislative action, and news articles related to
      education and language
      policies, programs, and practices that affect ELL and
      Native American
      students.

      To submit a news item about a state or district
      program, provide
      feedback,
      or subscribe/unsubscribe, contact Cindy Prince at
      cindyp@....
      All
      back issues are available online on the CCSSO website
      (www.ccsso.org).

      To view the newsletter go to the following website:
      http://www.ccsso.org/content/pdfs/LCENewsletterJan06.pdf

      Message: 4
         Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:38:06 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Trail of Tears sponsors contest

      Trail of Tears sponsors contest

      Staff Reports, Madison Record

      http://www.madisoncountyrecord.com/articles/2006/01/05/news/news3.txt

      Local artists should sharpen their pens and get out
      their paintbrushes: The Trail of Tears Commemorative
      Motorcyle Ride is seeking entries for its annual
      T-shirt design contest.

      The 13th annual Trail of Tears, which cuts through
      North Alabama with stops in Madison, is set for Sept.
      16. The deadline for entries is Jan. 7 at 3 p.m.
      Winners will be notified by March 1.

      The first place winner will receive $250, two VIP ride
      passes and two T-shirts. The winner will also be
      recognized at the trail's Pow-Wow.

      All entries must be original creations and contain no
      imagery designed by others, whether copyrighted or
      copyright free.

      Entries have a maximum image area of 18 inches by 24
      inches and can have a full or no bleed. Up to eight
      standard PMS colors are allowed. All designs must
      include the name ""13th Annual Trail of Tears
      Commemorative Motorcycle Ride(r)" and the phrase,
      "Riding to Remember." Designs must also include the
      names of the five Native American Nations commemorated
      in the ride: Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Creek,
      Seminole

      Entries must submit a matter, color design preferably
      on illustration board at 100 percent size or no larger
      than 18 inches by 24 inches. Media allowed includes
      opaque water based colors, inks, markers, original
      computer generated imagery or a combination of all
      four.

      PMS color swatches may accompany artwork to represent
      the actual color but is not required.

      Each entry must have an identification label placed in
      the upper left corner of the back with the name,
      return address, and phone number of the artist and a
      signed artist's agreement. The agreement can be found
      at www.al-tn-trailoftears.org. A check made to
      ATTOTCAI in the amount of $7.50 must be included if
      you would like your entry returned.

      Entries should be sent to Florence/Lauderdale Tourism,
      c/o Alison Standfield, One Hightower Place, Florence,
      AL 35630.

      The Trail of Tears organizers are also accepting
      applications for its annual scholarship. Six $5,000
      scholarships are given to Alabama students and six to
      Tennessee students each year.

      The deadline to apply for the scholarships is June 1.
      Scholarship recipients are announced July 9.

      The scholarships are designed for students of Native
      American descents in tribes originating from the
      Southeast. Academic achievement and financial
      situations are among the considerations in awarding
      the scholarship.

      For more information on the scholarship, call
      256-740-4141.

      Message: 5
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:15:52 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Norm Mineta Internship Summer Deadline Approaching

      >Fully-Funded Summer Internships in Washington, D.C.
      >
      >Greetings!
      >
      >My name is Roshni D. Lal - I am a Senior Program
      Coordinator for The
      >Washington Center for Internships and Academic
      Seminars, a
      >non-partisan, non-profit, educational organization
      based in
      >Washington, D.C.
      I would like to remind you that this summer the Norm
      Mineta
      Internship Immersion Program will provide fully-funded
      internship
      opportunities in the U.S. Department of Defense for a
      total of 90
      undergraduate students from diverse backgrounds. There
      will be
      substantive placements in a variety of DOD offices and
      functions.

      Students participating in this selective program must
      be financial
      aid eligible (or receiving some form of financial
      assistance/scholarships) and US citizens. They will
      receive a full
      scholarship covering The Washington Center's program
      fee,
      fully-furnished housing in the Washington, D.C. metro
      area, a weekly
      stipend of $250, and roundtrip travel to and from
      Washington, D.C.
      The program is funded by Congress and is offered only
      for the summer
      term of 2006. The application deadline is February 3,
      2006.

      >A pdf document outlining program components,
      eligibility, and the
      >application process is attached. To apply, students
      need to submit a
      >cover letter; resume; official college transcript; a
      copy of
      >official university assistance award statement and/or
      copy of
      >notification for financial awards from other sources
      (includes any
      >form of scholarship); and the Norm Mineta Internship
      Immersion
      >Program application (it is attached and also
      available on our
      >website below). Students do not need to submit
      letters of
      >recommendation or an issue essay. Please distribute
      this information
      >to qualified student candidates or their mentors in
      your
      >organization. Should you have any questions regarding
      this exciting
      >opportunity, please do not hesitate to contact me or
      visit our
      >website.
      ><http://www.twc.edu/students/financial_federal.shtml#mineta>http://www.twc.edu/students/financial_federal.shtml#mineta
      >Regards,
      >
      >Ms. Roshni D. Lal
      >Senior Program Coordinator, Institutional Relations
      >The Washington Center for Internships and Academic
      Seminars
      >2301 M Street, NW, Fifth Floor
      >Washington, D.C. 20037-1427
      >Email: <mailto:kevinw@...>roshnil@...
      >Direct: 202-336-7567
      >Fax: 202-336-7609
      >Web: <http://www.twc.edu>http://www.twc.edu

      Message: 6
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:21:33 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: 2005 Summer Educational Opportunities for Students (OK)

      Information regarding summer educational opportunities
      was provided by the individual organizations. The
      State Regents are not responsible for the accuracy of
      this information and recommend that individuals
      contact the various organizations for more details.
      The information listed here was provided to the State
      Regents and does not represent a comprehensive list of
      all programs offered in Oklahoma. To learn how your
      organization can post its summer educational
      opportunity online, e-mail abruce@....

      http://www.okhighered.org/student-center/fun-center/summer-ed-opps-students.shtml

      Message: 7
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:21:04 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Discover the promise of FREE college tuition! (OK)

      Note:  This is your tax dollars at work!!!

      Discover the promise of FREE college tuition!

      http://www.okhighered.org/ohlap/

      Oklahomans want to see deserving students succeed ­
      students who study and work hard, but whose families
      find it difficult to afford college. If your child
      dreams of going to college and works to achieve it,
      then we can help make it a reality!

      To make that happen, the Oklahoma Legislature has set
      up a unique program for eighth-, ninth- and 10th-grade
      students that will help pay for their college
      education if their family's income is $50,000 or
      less.* This program is the Oklahoma Higher Learning
      Access Program (OHLAP), or as we like to call it,
      Oklahoma’s Promise.

      But college isn't easy. So to make sure students get
      ready for college while they're still in high school,
      the program requires students to take certain high
      school courses. They will have to pass those courses
      and keep up their grades. And besides staying on top
      of the books, students will also have to show that
      they're in control outside the classroom. That means
      staying away from trouble like gangs, drugs and
      alcohol. In short, the student promises to prepare
      academically for college and stay out of trouble, and
      in return, the state of Oklahoma promises to help pay
      the student’s college tuition.

      If you don't qualify for this program, there are still
      other ways to pay for college, including scholarships,
      grants and student loans. For more information on
      other financial aid, see your counselor for more
      details, visit our financial aid section on the
      Student Center, or call the Oklahoma State Regents for
      Higher Education's student information hotline at
      800.858.1840.

      *Family income is documented only at the time of
      enrollment in the program.

      Message: 8
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:46:27 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: University program seeks out American Indians for graduate school (PURDUE)

      http://www.purdueexponent.org/index.php/module/Issue/action/Article/article_id/2358

      University program seeks out American Indians for
      graduate school

      By JC Romero
      Staff Writer

      Purdue hopes to increase awareness of the option of
      graduate school in
      American Indian communities by implementing a program
      to recruit
      American Indian students.

      The Native American Cohort at Purdue program, which is
      also called the
      Tecumseh Project, will start with a group of five
      students in the fall
      semester of 2006 and will actively seek out American
      Indian students
      for
      graduate study at Purdue and develop strategies for
      making their stay
      at
      Purdue a pleasant one.

      John Contreni, dean of the graduate school, said,
      "This will give their
      friends and family an immediate reference with respect
      to graduate
      school."

      Contreni said this is important because graduate
      school is often not on
      the radar of underrepresented students.

      As for giving American Indian students positive
      experiences at Purdue,
      Dwight Lewis, director of multicultural programs for
      the graduate
      school, said, "I think you gain comfort by numbers."

      Lewis said that over time the University hopes to
      reach a "critical
      mass" of American Indian students at Purdue, which
      will also help in
      recruiting students.

      Contreni said initially American Indian students will
      be recruited from
      Northern Arizona University, but if this pilot program
      is successful
      then it will be expanded to tribal colleges and other
      American Indian
      colleges.

      In addition to increasing awareness of graduate school
      among American
      Indians, Lewis said that graduate degrees will give
      American Indian
      students a chance to help their communities in ways
      that undergraduate
      degrees could not, such as by allowing them to conduct
      research on soil
      or health issues.

      Students at Purdue also stand to benefit from this
      program, said
      Contreni, because it helps to create a student body
      that looks more
      like
      the United States general population.

      Contreni said it also helps to expose students to
      other cultures, which
      is increasingly important in a steadily globalizing
      world.

      Lewis said that there are other universities that have
      been recruiting
      American Indian students for a long time, so Purdue
      will not be
      engaging
      in this endeavor without some competition.

      However, Purdue has established similar initiatives in
      the past, such
      as
      the Historically Black College Visitation Program,
      which invites
      seniors
      to campus each fall and introduces them to programs
      and faculty so that
      they will apply here for graduate study.

      Message: 9
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:55:13 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Travel to Indonesia with Global TeachNet

      As part of an ongoing program in summer travel for
      educators, the National Peace Corps Association is
      sponsoring a trip to Indonesia in July 2006.

      The NPCA is collaborating with Friendship Force
      International, which will be coordinating homestays
      and travel. Participants will stay with host families
      in Jakarta, and spend five days visiting Banda Aceh
      high schools in English language conversation classes.
      There will be an optional side trip to Lombok and a
      stop-over in Singapore. This trip provides educators
      with an excellent opportunity to experience culture
      and education in Indonesia firsthand.

      A detailed itinerary and application materials for
      this trip are available to download at
      http://www.rpcv.org/pages/sitepage.cfm?id=205.

      Please direct questions about the trip to Exchange
      Director Sien Lemke at mailto:icciusa@.... Note
      that she is traveling in Indonesia until early
      February 2006, so there may be a slight delay in her
      email response. Please put "NPCA Indonesia trip" or
      something similar in the subject line of your email.
      Do not submit materials directly to Friendship Force
      or to NPCA.

      To read about NPCA’s past trips coordinated through
      Friendship Force, please visit http://www.rpcv.org/pages/sitepage.cfm?id=29.

      Message: 10
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:14:19 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: APAICS 2006 SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM

      Press Release

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      January 10, 2006

      Contact: William H. (Mo) Marumoto (202) 296-9200

      APAICS 2006 SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM

      The Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional
      Studies (APAICS)
      invites college students to apply to our 2006 Summer
      Internship Program
      in Washington , DC . The term of the internship will
      be from June 5 to
      July 28, 2006 .

      APAICS is a non-partisan, non-profit, educational
      organization whose
      mission is to promote the participation of Asian
      American and Pacific
      Islanders in the political process. Through our
      internship program,
      APAICS hopes to encourage the political and civic
      involvement of young
      people, to foster their interest in political and
      public policy-related
      careers, and to develop their leadership skills.

      APAICS places our interns in the U.S. Congress,
      Federal agencies and
      institutions that further APAICS' mission. (Please see
      the accompanying
      document, "Host Offices.") Interns attending
      continental U.S. schools
      will receive a total stipend of $2,500 . Interns
      attending Hawaii
      schools, or who live in Hawaii , will receive a total
      stipend of $3,000
      to cover additional transportation costs. All interns
      will be required
      to complete weekly journals, and a program evaluation
      at the end of the
      internship.

      To qualify for the 2006 Program, applicants must meet
      the following
      requirements:

      *  Interest in the political process, public policy
      issues and Asian
      American and Pacific Islander community affairs.

      *  Evidence of leadership abilities and excellent oral
      and written
      communication skills.

      *  Current enrollment in an accredited undergraduate
      educational
      institution. (Recent graduates - within 90 days prior
      to June 5, 2006 -
      are also welcome to apply.)

      *  U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency by
      June 5, 2006.

      *  18-years old by June 5, 2006.

      *  Submission of all application materials (Part I &
      Part II) by
      January
      31, 2006 .

      In order to further our mission, APAICS will give
      preference to
      students
      who have not previously had an internship in
      Washington , DC . Please
      follow application submission instructions carefully .
      Finalists may be
      contacted for a telephone interview, and successful
      applicants will be
      notified in March 2006 .

      For other detailed information and online application
      materials, please
      go to the APAICS webpage at www.apaics.org
      <http://www.apaics.org/> ,
      contact the APAICS office by e-mail at
      apaics@... , or call our
      office at 202/296-9200.

      ________________________________

      The Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional
      Studies (APAICS)
      <http://www.apaics.org> is a nonprofit, nonpartisan,
      educational
      organization based in Washington, D.C., that seeks to
      build a
      politically empowered APA community, to fill the
      political pipeline for
      Asian Pacific Americans to enter and advance into
      elected office, and
      be a resource to Congress about the APA community.

      Message: 11
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:51:04 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: EDUCATION DEPARTMENT SEEKS NOMINATIONS FOR 2006 'AMERICAN STARS OF  TEACHING

      The U.S. Department of Education again plans to honor
      outstanding
      classroom
      teachers through the American Stars of Teaching
      program. The
      Department's
      Teacher-to-Teacher Initiative is seeking nominations
      and information
      about
      teachers who are improving student achievement, using
      innovative
      strategies
      in the classroom, and making a difference in the lives
      of their
      students.
      Teachers across all grade levels and disciplines will
      be honored this
      fall
      as 2006 American Stars of Teaching. Parents, students,
      colleagues,
      school
      administrators and others can nominate an exemplary
      teacher who they
      believe
      has the qualities to be an American Star of Teaching.
      One teacher will
      be
      recognized from each state.

      To learn more or nominate a teacher to become an
      American Star of
      Teaching,
      please visit the Teacher-to-Teacher Initiative Web
      site at:
      http://www.ed.gov/teachers/how/tools/initiative/index.html.
      All
      nominations
      must be completed by April 15.

      The U.S. Department of Education received more than
      2,000 nominations
      for
      the 2005 school year. A list of past years' honorees
      can be found at:
      http://www.ed.gov/teachers/how/tools/initiative/american-stars-teachers.html.

      Message: 12
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:52:52 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: 14th Annual Four Corners S~U~N Education Conference "Affirming Diversity Through Education"

      February 24-25, 2006
      Ute Mountain Ute Conference Center
      3 Weeminuche Drive, Towaoc, CO 81334

      To register or for more information, call Wendy at
      970-565-7522, ext
      130
      Or visit www.sunconference.org

      Message: 13
         Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:05:26 -0600
         From: Alyssa Macy <alyssa@...>
      Subject: STOP THE RAID UPDATE!

> [...]

      > and that students and groups are organizing to stop the raid will
      > carry interest.

      > And don’t forget ­ Grassroots Days of Action will occur on the 24th
      > and the 31st!  Bush will appear to the country on the evening of the
      > 31st in his state of the union address.  Then he will propose the
      > spending plan for this upcoming year.  Be prepared to differentiate
      > with reporters about which spending and budget plans we are talking
      > about ­ the loan cuts are housed in the spending plan/budget bill from
      > LAST YEAR.

      > CL

      > Bush pushes Congress to save tax cuts
      > He also urges spending limits
      > By Deb Riechmann, Associated Press  |  January 8, 2006

      > WASHINGTON -- Boasting that the economy is strong and growing,
      > President Bush urged Congress yesterday to save tax cuts from expiring
      > and adopt the first spending restraints in nearly a decade on such
      > benefit programs as Medicaid, Medicare, and student loans.

      > In his weekly radio address, Bush said the federal budget faces the
      > challenge of long-term deficits driven by mandatory spending on those
      > entitlement programs.  ''We do not need to cut entitlements, but we do
      > need to slow their growth," he said.

      > Before leaving for the holidays, the Republican-controlled Senate
      > passed legislation to cut federal deficits by $39.7 billion. The
      > measure passed by the narrowest of margins, 51-50, with Vice President
      > Dick Cheney casting the deciding vote.

      > The legislation, the product of a year's labors by the White House and
      > congressional Republicans, imposes the first restraints in nearly a
      > decade in benefit programs.
      > ''Congress needs to finish its work on this important bill," Bush
      > said. ''By passing the first reduction in the growth of entitlement
      > spending in nearly a decade, Congress will send a clear signal that
      > the people's representatives can be good stewards of the people's
      > money."

      > The bill would take on, for the first time since 1997, the growth of
      > federal benefit programs such as Medicaid, Medicare for the elderly,
      > and student loan subsidies. It is part of a campaign by Republican
      > leaders to burnish their party's budget-cutting credentials as they
      > try to reduce a deficit swelled by spending on the Iraq war, Hurricane
      > Katrina, and an earlier round of tax cuts.

      > Opponents said the bill will hurt the middle class. The GOP is
      > advancing ''an ideologically driven, extreme, radical budget," Harry
      > Reid, of Nevada and Senate Democratic leader, said after the bill
      > passed. ''It caters to lobbyists and an elite group of
      > ultraconservative ideologues here in Washington, all at the expense of
      > middle-class Americans."

      > In his broadcast, Bush also called on Congress to make permanent all
      > the tax cuts passed at his urging earlier in his administration. Most
      > are due to expire before or at the end of 2010.

      Message: 14
         Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:30:41 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Is Your Campus Sweat Free?

      Be part of the strongest anti-sweatshop stance that
      any institution of higher education has ever taken!
      United Students Against Sweatshops, as part of the
      Sweat Free Campus Campaign, is currently putting
      together a series of worker tours that will travel the
      country for the entire month of February, bringing
      garment workers from Kenya, Thailand, Indonesia, El
      Salvador, Mexico, and the Dominican Republic to
      college campuses. Workers from these countries will be
      telling their stories of working and organizing, and
      underlining the importance of democratic trade unions.
      USAS expects a number of new victories during the
      spring semester and are looking forward to an exciting
      few months of education and activism. www.studentsagainstsweatshops.org

      Message: 15
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:58:57 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Project: Valentine's for our Native Troops Overseas

      CONTACT: Sherry" <shergirt@...>

      Valentine's Day is just around the corner.

      If you like to send a Valentine's card and/or care
      package to our
      Native Troops overseas, hit me back for a name and
      address of a troop
      member :)

      If you want mulitple names just ask :)

      Let's bring some smiles to our brave young men and
      women.

      Sherry

      Message: 16
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:00:07 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Workshop "Service Learning with a Human Rights Focus" Boston, March 14, 2006

      Dear colleagues,

      HREA will be organizing a workshop on service learning
      during the Northeast Regional Conference on the Social
      Studies. This workshop demonstrates how a human
      rights-based approach can deepen students' critical
      engagement with the social justice component of
      service learning. Participants receive a copy of the
      new publication Human Rights Education and Service
      Learning Guide developed by Amnesty International-USA
      and Human Rights Education Associates (HREA).
      Participants take part in an activity from the new
      manual and engage in an overarching conversation of
      the value added from applying the human rights
      framework to service learning.

      Facilitators: Liz Sullivan and Felisa Tibbittts
      (HREA).

      This workshop is held during the Northeast Regional
      Conference on the Social Studies, March 13-16, 2006.

      Participants: middle school and high school teachers,
      and college/university professors

      Tuition, fee, lodging: Registration for Northeast
      Regional Conference on the Social Studies is required
      in order to participate in this workshop. Registration
      forms have to be submitted to the Massachusetts
      Council for the Social Studies.

      Registration form (in PDF format):
      http://www.masscouncil.org/NERC_PreRegistration.pdf

      Pre-registration deadline: February 15, 2006

      For further information:

      HREA
      PO Box 382396
      Cambridge, MA 02238
      USA
      Tel: +1 978 341-0200
      Fax: +1 978 341-0201
      E-mail: nerc-workshop-2006@...
      Web: http://www.hrea.org

      Message: 17
         Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:28:43 -0500
         From: "Roth, Geoffrey" <Geoffrey.Roth@...>
      Subject: Harvard's Administrative Fellowship Program

      Geoff Roth
      U.S. Department of Education
      Office of Indian Education
      400 Maryland Ave., SW
      Washington DC 20202-6335
      202-205-4372

      Dear Friends and Colleagues,

      Harvard's Administrative Fellowship Program (AFP) typically places one applicant each year to serve in the Harvard University Native American Program (HUNAP). In addition to the AFP experience, the HUNAP fellow is provided many unique professional development opportunities in native research, recruitment and admissions.

      Harvard University has a long history with American Indians - the founding Charter of 1650 pledges Harvard to "the education of English and Indian youth." HUNAP brings together resources, faculty, and students from across the University in a shared commitment to research, teaching, and outreach, advancing the well-being of indigenous peoples through self-determination, academic achievement, and community service ( http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/hunap). In addition, HUNAP has a fabulous native research arm of its program called the Harvard Project on American Indian Economic Development ( http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/hpaied). .

      Please forward this announcement to your friends and colleagues who might be interested in applying.  As a former AFP/HUNAP fellow, I am more than welcomed to share my experience and insight with others who might apply.

      Thank you,

      Mellor C. Willie

      Director of Development

      National Congress of American Indians

      1301 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 200

      Washington, D.C.  20036

      Phone 202/466-7767

      Fax 202/466-7797

       <http://www.ncai.org> www.ncai.org

      Dear Fellows,

      We are currently seeking applicants for Harvard University's 2006-2007 Administrative Fellowship Program.  As you know, the Program, now in its seventeenth year of operation, will begin in September 2006.  The Administrative Fellowship Program offers a twelve-month management experience complemented by a professional development program.  In particular, the Program provides participants with specific opportunities to broaden their experience as mid-level administrators by working in Harvard's dynamic academic environment.  In the end, the Program seeks to enrich and diversify the field of higher education and the growing Harvard community by increasing the pool of trained administrators with more individuals drawn from underrepresented ethnic minority groups as well as individuals who are committed to addressing the underrepresentation of ethnic minorities as academic administrators.

      Each participant receives a stipend with all costs for the required educational seminar series covered by the University.  However, participants must secure and cover the cost of their housing.  Fellows will participate in a seminar series in addition to a full-time work assignment.  Seminars, lectures, and case studies have been designed to enhance management and administrative skills and to assist in self-assessment and development.  The overall goal of the education program is to encourage Fellows to assess their own career development and to generate strategies for advancement.

      Applicants must have a bachelors degree and at least five years of professional work experience.  The evaluation of applications will be based on professional and academic achievement, a written statement of purpose, and three letters of recommendation.  The final selection of Fellows will be based on interviews with the sponsoring Harvard schools and departments and suitability for the Program.  The application deadline is February 10, 2006.

      Please help us develop the strongest pool of applicants by identifying individuals whom could be valuable members of our fellowship program.  You can pass on the enclosed brochure and application or refer candidates to our website at  <javascript:ol('http://www.oap.harvard.edu/afp');> www.oap.harvard.edu/afp for additional information about the Program.

      With your support, we look forward to attracting a group of diverse and interesting candidates.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

      We greatly appreciate your cooperation.  And Happy 2006!

      All the best,

      Teresa

      Teresa C. Malonzo
      Office of the Assistant to the President
      932 Holyoke Center
      Cambridge, MA  02138

      (617)496-1567 Phone
      (617)495-8520 Fax
      teresa_malonzo@...

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 18
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:58:02 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Call for participation: International Justice Education Conference (New York, May 3-4, 2006)

      GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR JUSTICE EDUCATION
      North American Region

      International Conference

      "International Collaboration in Teaching, Learning,
      Lawyering and Scholarship"
      May 3-4, 2006
      Fordham Law School
      New York, NY

      CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

      *Due date:  January 17, 2006 *

      Conference Goals

      This conference is a one-day workshop designed to
      explore the theme of facilitating global collaboration
      in teaching, learning, lawyering and scholarship to
      promote justice education.

      It will follow the 2006 Association of American Law
      Schools annual conference on Clinical Legal Education,
      to be held at the Sheraton New York Hotel from Sunday,
      April 30 through Wednesday, May 3, 2006.

      Reception

      A reception for all participants will be held on
      Wednesday evening, May 3.

      Workshops

      Workshops will take place on Thursday, May 4.

      Planning Session

      The conference will conclude with a planning session
      with our Central and South American colleagues for the
      fourth international GAJE conference, scheduled for
      late November/early December 2006 in Cordoba,
      Argentina.

      Sponsorship

      The conference is sponsored by the North American
      Region of the Global Alliance for Justice Education.
      GAJE is an alliance of persons committed to achieving
      justice through education. Clinical education of law
      students is a key component of justice education, but
      this organization also works to advance justice by
      working with NGOs, practicing lawyers, judges, law
      students and the lay public. Delegates from every
      continent and over 50 countries have participated in
      GAJE's first three worldwide conferences. Membership
      is open and free to anyone interested in justice
      education.

      More information about GAJE is available at
      http://www.gaje.org .

      Invitation for Proposals

      We invite proposals for workshops, presentations,
      works-in-progress and scholarly papers on issues
      relating to the conference theme of "facilitating
      global collaboration in justice education", including,
      but not limited to, any of the following topics:

      o-  Collaborative teaching and program development
      between and among law schools, NGOs, community
      organizations, and governmental entities
      o-  Interdisciplinary efforts at justice education
      o-  Collaborative learning in clinical and
      non-clinical contexts
      o-  Strategies for integrating collaborative
      approaches into legal education around the world
      o-  Exchanging lessons learned on implementing justice
      education

      Submissions should address the question of why the
      proposed topic is of interest to an international and
      multi-cultural audience.

      How to Make Your Submissions

      Abstracts of papers and proposals for presentations or
      workshops should be submitted to the conference
      committee, in care of Peggy Maisel, maiselp@... ,
      no later than January 17, 2006.

      Acceptances will be made by February 15, 2006.

      Full drafts of papers are due by April 15, 2005.

      The Fordham Law School International Law Journal will
      review and publish selected scholarly papers that are
      presented at this conference; however, acceptance of a
      paper for the conference is not a guarantee of
      publication.

      Non-presenters are welcome to attend and participate
      as well.

      Participants from Outside the US

      For participants attending from outside the United
      States and who require a visa, GAJE will provide the
      necessary documentation as soon as possible after
      requested.

      Registration and Fees

      Registration materials will be forthcoming. We
      anticipate that the registration fee will be nominal.

      Accommodations

      We anticipate that participants who also attend the
      AALS conference will be able to extend their stay at
      the Sheratonâ?Ts reduced conference rate. Organizers
      also will attempt to find local hosts for no-cost
      accommodations.

      Contacts

      Louise McKinney
      Program Co-chair
      Case Western Reserve University School of Law
      11075 East Boulevard
      Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
      Phone: 216-368-6360. Fax: 216-368-5137
      Louise.mckinney@...

      Catherine Klein
      Program Co-chair
      The Catholic University of America
      Columbus Community Legal Services
      3602 John McCormack Rd., N.E.
      Washington, D.C. 20064, USA
      Phone: 202-319-6788. Fax: 202-319-6780
      Klein@...

      Minna Kotkin
      Local Co-chair
      Brooklyn Law School
      One Boerum Place
      Brooklyn, NY 11201 USA
      Phone: 718-780-7994. Fax: 718-780-0367
      minna.kotkin@...

      Liz Cooper
      Local Co-chair
      Fordham Law School
      33 W. 60th Street
      Third Floor
      New York, NY 10023, USA
      Phone: 212-636-6934. Fax: 212-636-6923
      Ecooper@...

      Message: 19
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:52:25 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Cook College & Theological School Celebrates 95th Anniversary in 2006

      "For nearly a century, from 1911 to 2006, it (Cook
      College &
      Theological
      School) has been the students, representing more than
      ninety different
      Indian tribes from throughout the U.S. and Canada, who
      have been the
      purpose
      for this inter-tribal and multi-denominational
      college-the only one of
      its
      kind."

      On March 16-17 current students will hold a choir fest
      and revival.
      708 South Lindon Lane
      Tempe, Arizona

      For more information on the spring celebrations,
      contact Dona Avery,
      Director of Public Relations
      480-968-9354 ext 138
      e-mail: davery@...
      website: http://www.cookcollege.org/

      Message: 20
         Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:38:47 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: IHS Scholarship Workshop - Saturday, January 21st! (OK)

      Dear IHS Scholarship Applicant, Counselors and Tribal
      Representatives:

      The Oklahoma City Area Indian Health Service, in
      conjunction with the University of Oklahoma’s Center
      for Native American Excellence and Indian Health
      Service Headquarters East, would like to invite you to
      our first annual scholarship workshop to be held on
      the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center
      Campus, Saturday, January 21, 2006 from 9 AM to 4PM,
      in the Basic Science Education Building, East Lecture
      Hall, located at 941 Stanton L. Young Boulevard.  Free
      parking is available in the OUHSC Library parking lot,
      on the NW corner of NW 10th and Stonewall, in Oklahoma
      City.

      The workshop will be telecast live to the University
      of Oklahoma -Tulsa Schusterman Center, room D28, as a
      convenience for those parties geographically located
      in the Northeastern quadrant of our state.  The
      Schusterman Center is located on 41st and Yale, just
      west of Tulsa’s Promenade Mall.  Free parking is
      provided at this location as well, in the east parking
      lot of the campus.

      The workshop agenda will include an in-depth
      presentation, highlighting key items of the
      application, and simplifying the overall application
      process.  Keynote speakers will also be on hand,
      enlightening the audience with their own valuable
      scholarship and work experiences with IHS.  Applicants
      will also be provided with lists of alternative
      payment and scholarship resources, unaffiliated with
      IHS.  Lunch will be provided free of charge at both
      locations.

      Please plan to attend this informative workshop, and
      contact our office at the numbers listed below, or
      e-mail our division in order to accept this
      invitation, as an accurate count is needed for the
      catered lunch.  We will accept responses on or before
      January 17, 2006.

      Thanks for your continued interest in the Indian
      Health Service.  We look forward to meeting with you
      soon.

      Melissa Langley
                          Wendy Montemayor
      Scholarship Coordinator
                     Assistant Scholarship Coordinator
      Oklahoma City Area IHS
                  Oklahoma City Area IHS
      Phone: 800-829-7044
                    Phone: 800-829-7044
      OR      405-951-3950
                     OR      405-951-6069
      melissa.westfall@...
                      wendy.montemayor@...

      Message: 21
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:57:22 -0800 (PST)
         From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Free training for Native Youth!!! (Mpls)

      Please contact Joy Rivera at the number listed below!

      Save the dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Attention all programs, agencies, organizations and
      schools who work with Indigenous youth grades 7 -12.
      You & some youth from your organization/school are
      invited to attend a free Ogitchidag Peer Education
      Training on Monday February 13 & Tuesday February 14,
      2006 at the Grand Casino Mille Lacs Convention Center.
      This event is sponsored by The Indigenous Peoples Task
      Force’s Ogitchidag Gikinooamaagad Peer Education
      Program & the MN Department of Education.

      The training includes (at no cost): meals during the
      training’s schedule, lodging, and a copy of the
      Ogitchidag Curriculum. You will be responsible for
      your own transportation to and from the training, and
      the meals outside of the training schedule.

      For more information and/or to sign up for this
      training contact Joy Rivera at phone number
      (612)870-1723 ext. 16 or e-mail address joyr@....

      Message: 22
         Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:16:00 -0000
         From: "apcKaruk" <andrekar@...>
      Subject: Comments Sought

      I received your alert about the Time Out review of The New World and the headline "Squaw
      Talent." I'm working on a short headline story for Independent Native News about the
      national release of The New World this weekend and wondered if you or anyone you know
      has seen the film and has comment about how Native Americans are portrayed in the film,
      or how the Pocahontas story has been misrepresented by white-owned media.

      Please let me know. I'm working on the story over the weekend and could do a phone
      interview anytime today, Saturday, or Sunday.

      All the best,

      Catherine Komp
      804-649-0069 (home office)
      315-478-1747 (cell)
      --
      Catherine Komp
      Media Section Editor

      CLAMOR: Your DIY Guide to Everday Revolution

      Clamor is a quarterly print magazine and online community of radical thought, art, and
      action. An iconoclast among

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)