Scholarships and Programs - a long list

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2005
      >===== Original Message From NativeShare-owner@yahoogroups.com =====

      There are 24 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. RUSSELL PAGE FOUNDATION - OPPORTUNITIES In DANCE
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      2. Funding for Activities Relating to the UN 2nd Decade of the World's
      Indigenous People
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      3. Advanced Studies Seminar on the Use of the Early Childhood
      Longitudinal Study, Birth Cohort (ECLS-B) Database
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      4. Scholarship Program for Natives
      From: "steffiejos" <steffiejos@...>
      5. Clinical Bioethics Fellowship Opportunity
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      6. NOAA Scholarship Program
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      7. 2006 Biomedical Research Apprenticeship Program Announcement
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      8. Free access to smithsonian folkways recordings (35,000 audio tracks)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      9. ARTICLE: African & Native Americans share a rich history
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      10. Applications for Barbara Jordan Health Policy Scholars Program Now
      Being Accepted
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      11. Reapply for Student Aid Using the 2006-2007 Renewal Free Application
      for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      12. Call for Conference Proposals
      From: "Senn Brown" <sennb@...>
      13. IGERT Wind Science and Engineering PhD Program
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      14. Conservation Careers Diversity Program
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      15. SACNAS News – Call for Authors and Contributions: Art and Science
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      16. Kaiser Family Foundation Relaunches Media Fellowships in Health
      Program
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      17. Human Rights Delegations for Young Leaders - Summer 2006
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      18. REU position - spring 2006 - modeling seed dispersal in Panama.
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      19. Attention current K-12 teachers: Albert Einstein Distinguished
      Educator Fellowship
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      20. Help them Live Project - Learn about the Convention on the Rights of
      the Child
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      21. Clinical Bioethics Fellowship Opportunity
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      22. Best Practices in Helping Victims in Indian Country: 11/16/05 via WEB
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      23. Alternative Social Forum - Caracas, January 2006
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      24. Indigenous Peoples of the Americas: Conflict, Resistance, & Peace
      Making, November 16-18, 2005
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:35:09 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: RUSSELL PAGE FOUNDATION - OPPORTUNITIES In DANCE

      RUSSELL PAGE FOUNDATION - OPPORTUNITIES In DANCE

      > Please see flyer inviting applications for the 2006
      Russell Page
      Fellowship
      > for Contemporary Dance.
      >
      > The Fellowship was established in 2004 in memory of
      the late Russell
      Page,
      > principal dancer of Bangarra Dance Theatre, and
      offers up to $10,000
      annually
      > to support the development of an emerging or
      mid-career professional
      dancer.

      > Submissions are due by Friday 11 November and
      selection criteria can
      be
      > obtained by calling Ben White on (02) 9250 1908 or
      emailing
      > bwhite@...
      <mailto:bwhite@...> .
      If you
      > could pass this flyer on to relevant parties through
      your networks
      (including
      > electronic and other mail-outs, office noticeboards
      etc. ) we'd be
      most
      > grateful.
      >
      > If you would like further details or more detailed
      copy to include in
      > newsletters etc, please do not hesitate to contact
      Jo Dyer on (02)
      9250 1785.

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:58:47 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Funding for Activities Relating to the UN 2nd Decade of the World's
      Indigenous People

      FUNDING FOR ACTIVITIES / FONDO DE CONTRIBUCIONES
      VOLUNTARIAS

      Dear Friends,

      We would like to inform you that the guidelines and
      the template for
      preparing project proposals for FUNDING FOR ACTIVITIES
      RELATING TO THE UNITED NATIONS SECOND INTERNATIONAL
      DECADE OF THE WORLD’S INDIGENOUS PEOPLE are ready,
      please check the Permanent Forum website for more
      details at
      http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/news/news_2.htm

      Best regards,

      Message: 3
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:38:56 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Advanced Studies Seminar on the Use of the Early Childhood
      Longitudinal Study, Birth Cohort (ECLS-B) Database

      The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES),
      Institute of
      Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education, will
      sponsor a 3-day
      advanced studies seminar on the use of the Early
      Childhood Longitudinal
      Study, Birth Cohort (ECLS-B) database. The ECLS-B
      training seminar will
      be conducted from January 11-13, 2006 in Washington,
      DC. Support for
      travel
      and lodging will be provided to accepted applicants.
      The application
      deadline for the seminar is November 18, 2005.
      ECLS-B is designed to support research on a wide
      range of topics
      pertaining to young children's cognitive, social,
      emotional, and
      physical development across multiple contexts (e.g.,
      home, nonparental
      care,
      and school entry). This seminar is open to advanced
      graduate students
      and
      faculty members from colleges and universities
      nationwide and to
      researchers, education practitioners, and policy
      analysts from federal,
      state, and local education and human services agencies
      and professional
      associations.

      For more information, please visit the NCES website
      at:
      http://nces.ed.gov/conferences/confinfo.asp?confid=78

      Message: 4
      Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:35:28 -0000
      From: "steffiejos" <steffiejos@...>
      Subject: Scholarship Program for Natives

      KNOWLEDGE RIVER at the University of Arizona
      School of Information Resources and Library Science
      is Recruiting Students for its Fall 2006 Class
      Application Deadline: April 1, 2006
      http://knowledgeriver.arizona.edu

      The University of Arizona School of Information Resources and Library
      Science (SIRLS) is pleased to announce it is now recruiting students
      for Knowledge River--a Master's Degree program leading to an exciting
      career as an information professional, focusing on the information
      and library needs and perspectives of Hispanics and Native Americans.
      Students accepted into Knowledge River will receive full tuition and
      a generous graduate assistantship or stipend for one academic year,
      in addition to other special program features. A Bachelor's degree in
      any field is acceptable. The application deadline is April 1, 2006.

      We ask that you share information about Knowledge River with all
      potential applicants. Knowledge River has an innovative program
      design, with culturally relevant courses, professional development,
      academic support and the opportunity to go through the program with a
      large peer group. Now starting our fifth year, we will be admitting
      fifteen new students to Knowledge River for fall, 2006. All
      eligibility requirements and application procedures can be found on
      our website above. Students wishing to be considered for Knowledge
      River must be accepted into the SIRLS graduate program. All
      application materials are online at the SIRLS website. To contact
      SIRLS for information or questions, call 520 621-3565 or go to their
      website: www.sir.arizona.edu Please contact us directly for
      additional information or any questions you may have concerning
      Knowledge River at 520 621 3958 or email: kriver@...

      Patricia A. Tarin
      Knowledge River Director

      Message: 5
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:42:37 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Clinical Bioethics Fellowship Opportunity

      Fellows will conduct theoretical and empirical
      research in the ethics of health policy, international
      research ethics, and human subject research. Fellows
      will also participate in ethics consultations, review
      of research protocols, bioethics seminars and many
      other educational opportunities available at the NIH.
      Two-year positions are available beginning September
      2006. Applications to include resume/CV, official
      undergraduate (and graduate) transcripts, 1000-word
      statement of interest, a writing sample not to exceed
      30 pages, and three letters of reference. Postdoc
      applications must be received by Dec. 30, 2005 and
      pre-doc application deadline is Jan. 15, 2006.

      Information: http://www.fastweb.com/sp/106283

      Message: 6
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:44:22 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: NOAA Scholarship Program

      The NOAA Educational Partnership Program,
      Undergraduate Scholarship Program and Graduate
      Sciences Program are accepting applications
      (applications are attached). Please follow the
      instructions contained in the application packages.
      The application period will end on Tuesday, January
      31, 2006, at 5:00 p.m.

      Information: http://epp.noaa.gov

      Contact: Chantell Haskins, NOAA Educational
      Partnership Program, Student Scholarship

      Programs, 1315 East West Highway, SSMC3, Room 10703,
      Silver Spring, MD

      Phone: (301) 713-9437 x125

      Email: Chantell.Haskins@...

      Message: 7
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:43:07 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: 2006 Biomedical Research Apprenticeship Program Announcement

      The 2006 Biomedical Research Apprenticeship Program
      (BioMedRAP) to be held at Washington University in St.
      Louis May 30 - August 4, 2006. BioMedRAP is designed
      to recruit exceptional students interested in a career
      in biomedical science with an intensive 10-week
      laboratory experience at one of the top research
      institutions in the nation. Participants will engage
      in an independent research project under the
      mentorship of faculty at Washington University School
      of Medicine. Program Benefits: 2006 BioMedRAP
      participants will receive a $3,000 research stipend.
      On-campus housing and travel to and from St. Louis are
      provided by BioMedRAP at no cost to the participants.

      Application: biomedrap.wustl.edu

      Deadline: January 31, 2006

      Contact: Benita Wolff, Manager, e-mail:
      benitawolff@...

      Message: 8
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:37:18 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Free access to smithsonian folkways recordings (35,000 audio tracks)

      ENJOY FREE ACCESS TO SMITHSONIAN FOLKWAYS RECORDINGS
      THROUGH NOV. 23
      Alexander Street Press is offering free access to
      Smithsonian Folkways Recordings through November 23,
      2005, to let librarians, students, and educators enjoy
      all 35,000 audio tracks from around the world. No
      passwords or trial sign-ups are necessary. Simply
      visit http://glmu.classical.com and be connected to
      the entire database.

      Listeners can choose from their favorite sounds –
      American Folk, Blues, Bluegrass, Old Time Country,
      American Indian, Jazz, Classical & Broadway, Spoken
      Word & Sounds, or Children's. Listeners can browse by
      artist, cultural group, country, instrument, or other
      fields.

      Smithsonian Folkways Recordings is the nonprofit
      record label of the Smithsonian Institution.

      For more information, contact Rita Patrick at Amigos,
      1-800-843-8482 (972-851-8000 in the Dallas area), ext.
      2850, mailto:patrick@..., or Debbie Nelson at
      Alexander Street Press, 1-800-889-5937, ext. 214, or
      dnelson@....

      Message: 9
      Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:55:12 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: ARTICLE: African & Native Americans share a rich history

      November 3
      African & Native Americans share a rich history

      Kitty Cloud, John Taylor
      married in 1907
      *From the beginning of U. S. history, American Native
      populations and Africans had a historical relationship
      of both cooperation and confrontation.

      Europeans first enslaved Indians, introducing Africans
      to the Americas shortly after. Nicolas de Ovando,
      Governor of Hispaniola first mentioned African and
      Indian interaction in a report, circa 1503. Indians
      who escaped generally knew the surrounding areas,
      avoided capture, and returned to help free enslaved
      Africans. Europeans feared an Indian/African alliance.
      The first slave rebellion occurred in Hispaniola in
      1522, while the first on future United States soil
      (North Carolina) occurred in 1526. Both rebellions
      were organized and executed by coalitions of Africans
      and Indians.

      Europeans feared communities of escaped Africans,
      known as Maroons or quilombos in frontier areas. The
      largest of these communities, the "Republic of
      Palmores," originated in the 1600s, and at its peak
      had a population of approximately 11,000. This
      community composed primarily of Africans but including
      Indians, contained three villages, spiritual gather
      places, shops, and operated under its own legal
      system. Its army repelled European military attacks
      until 1694.

      White reaction to such communities was extreme despite
      their limited numbers. Europeans sought to keep the
      two peoples separated and, if possible, mutually
      hostile. They taught Africans to fight Indians and
      bribed Indians to hunt escaped Africans, promising
      lucrative rewards. Indians who captured escaped
      Africans received 35 deerskins in Virginia or three
      blankets and a musket in the Carolinas. Further sowing
      division, Whites introduced African slavery into the
      Five Civilized Nations in the United States.

      The U. S. government ended slavery among Indians by
      1776. From pre-Revolutionary times to the Civil War,
      the government negotiated treaties with Indian tribes
      that included promises by the Indians to return
      escaped slaves. However, while harboring many slaves,
      they returned none. The most powerful African-Indian
      alliance linked escaped Africans who had settled in
      Florida, and Seminoles (a word that means "runaway"),
      who were fleeing the Creek federation. The Africans
      taught the Indians rice cultivation, and the groups
      formed an agricultural and military alliance.

      In 1816, a U. S. soldier reported that prosperous
      plantations existed for fifty miles along the banks of
      the Apalachicola River. The African-Seminole forces
      repeatedly repelled U. S. slaveholders' posses and the
      U. S. Army. The Second Seminole War resulted in 1,600
      dead and cost over $40 million. The purchase of
      Florida from Spain was the U. S. government's attempt
      to eliminate it as a refuge for runaways. Before the
      Civil War, many Native American nations on the eastern
      seaboard of the United States became biracial
      communities.

      African-Americans were well represented in the Trail
      of Tears. By 1860, the Five Civilized Nations in the
      Indian Territory consisted of 18 percent African
      Americans. The Seminoles appointed six Black Seminoles
      members of its governing council. After the Civil War,
      the Buffalo Soldiers, six regiments of African
      American U. S. Army troops, helped to end Indian
      resistance to U. S. control after the Civil War. The
      most significant African-Native American was John
      Horse, a Black Seminole Chief who was a master
      marksman and diplomat in Florida and Oklahoma and by
      the time of the Civil War, the Black Seminole Chief in
      Mexico and Texas.

      Horse negotiated a treaty with the U. S. government in
      1870. On July 4th of that year, when his Seminole
      nation crossed into Texas, it was a historic moment:
      an African people had arrived together as a nation on
      this soil, under the command of their ruling monarch,
      Chief John Horse. Today, many African Americans can
      trace their ancestry in part to an Indian tribe.

      Reference:
      African American and Native American History
      Princeton Public Library
      65 Witherspoon Street
      Princeton, NJ 08542

      Message: 10
      Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:42:36 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Applications for Barbara Jordan Health Policy Scholars Program Now
      Being Accepted

      Applications for Barbara Jordan Health Policy Scholars
      Program Now Being Accepted

      Deadline: January 9, 2006

      The Barbara Jordan Health Policy Scholars Program,
      an
      initiative of the Kaiser Family Foundation
      ( http://www.kff.org/ ), brings talented African
      American,
      Latino, American Indian/Alaska Native, and
      Asian/Pacific
      Islander college seniors and recent graduates to
      Washington, D.C., in order to learn firsthand how
      health
      policy is developed and implemented.

      During a nine-week program (May 23-July 28, 2006),
      Jordan
      Health Policy scholars will learn about federal
      legisla-
      tive procedure and health policy issues, while
      further
      developing their critical thinking and leadership
      skills.
      In addition to gaining experience in a Congressional
      office, scholars participate in seminars and site
      visits
      to enhance their knowledge of healthcare issues.
      Upon
      completion of the session, scholars are expected to
      write
      and present a health policy research memo.

      Eligible candidates must be U.S. citizens who will
      be
      seniors or recent graduates of an accredited U.S.
      college
      or university in the fall of 2006. Currently
      enrolled law,
      medical, and graduate students are not eligible to
      apply.
      Successful applicants will show evidence of academic
      achievement and must be a member of a population
      that is
      adversely affected by racial or ethnic health
      disparities,
      and have experience working in or with programs that
      address health disparities or have done previous
      academic
      work related to health disparities.

      Jordan Health Policy scholars receive approximately
      $7,000
      in support, which includes a stipend, airfare,
      lodging,
      and a daily expense allowance. While in Washington,
      D.C.,
      scholars reside at Howard University.

      Applications will be processed and reviewed as they
      are
      received. Application forms and additional
      information
      about the Scholars Program are available at the
      Kaiser
      Family Foundation Web site.

      RFP Link:
      http://fconline.fdncenter.org/pnd/5001734/kff/jordan

      For additional RFPs in Health, visit:
      http://fdncenter.org/pnd/rfp/cat_Health.jhtml

      Message: 11
      Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:49:27 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Reapply for Student Aid Using the 2006-2007 Renewal Free Application
      for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web

      Subject: Important: Reapply for Student Aid Using the
      2006-2007 Renewal Free
      Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web

      Beginning on January 1, 2006, you can reapply for
      student financial aid for
      the 2006-2007 school year using your Renewal FAFSA on
      the Web at
      www.fafsa.ed.gov. Because most students now use the
      Web to reapply for
      student aid, we will not print and mail paper Renewal
      FAFSAs for the
      2006-2007 school year.

      You will need your U.S. Department of Education PIN to
      complete your
      2006-2007 Renewal FAFSA on the Web.

      If you have forgotten your PIN, you can request a
      duplicate by going to
      www.pin.ed.gov and selecting the option "Request a
      Duplicate PIN." From the
      PIN Web site, you can ask to have your PIN sent to you
      by e-mail or U.S.
      postal mail. You will receive your duplicate PIN in 4
      hours by e-mail or in
      7-10 days by postal mail.

      Remember, your PIN gives you access to your personal
      information on the Web
      and also allows you to sign student aid documents
      electronically. To
      protect the confidentiality of your application data,
      you should never share
      your PIN with anyone, even if that person is helping
      you to complete your
      Renewal FAFSA on the Web.

      If you have questions about your Renewal FAFSA, plenty
      of online help is
      available at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You can also contact
      the Federal Student Aid
      Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)
      and a customer
      service representative can assist you.

      Thank You,

      U.S. Department of Education
      Federal Student Aid

      Message: 12
      Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:57:47 -0600
      From: "Senn Brown" <sennb@...>
      Subject: Call for Conference Proposals

      Charter School Friends -- You're invited to participate in the 2006 Wisconsin
      Charter Schools Conference. Submit your presentation proposal and program
      session ideas for the conference to the WCSA prior to November 30, 2005.

      The proposal online submission form is just below the program evaluation
      criteria at: http://www.wicharterschools.org/conf.2006.proposals.cfm

      The 2006 Wisconsin Charter Schools Conference is scheduled to be held on April
      2, 3, 4 (Sunday afternoon through Tuesday) at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel
      in Appleton.

      Growth and sustainability through collaboration and partnerships is the theme
      of the 6th annual conference. Be sure to read the proposal evaluation criteria
      before submitting your presentation propoosal. If you have questions, contact
      Sue Steiner at: ssteiner@... .

      SENN BROWN, Secretary
      Wisconsin Charter Schools Association
      P.O. Box 628243
      Middleton, WI 53562
      Tel: 608-238-7491 Fax: 608-663-5262
      Email: sennb@... Web: http://www.wicharterschools.org

      Message: 13
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:46:40 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: IGERT Wind Science and Engineering PhD Program

      The IGERT Wind Science and Engineering PhD program is
      accepting applications for 2006-2007. Students in
      engineering, mathematics, economics, and atmospheric
      science wanting to do research in windstorm disasters,
      structural design, shelter development, or wind power
      are encouraged to apply.

      Deadline: February 1, 2006

      Contact: Carol Ann Stanley, TTU WISE Box 1023,
      Lubbock, TX 79409-1023, (806) 742-3479 or toll-free
      (888) 946-3287

      Email: CarolAnn.Stanley@...
      mailto:CarolAnn.Stanley@...

      Information:
      http://www.wind.ttu.edu/Academics/PhdProgram.php

      Message: 14
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:42:10 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Conservation Careers Diversity Program

      Explore a career in conservation through a paid summer
      internship with the Federal government. The U.S. Fish
      and Wildlife Service and USDA Forest Service will
      sponsor 60-80 internships with a primary focus on
      recruiting and exposing college freshman and sophomore
      (and for some positions more advanced undergraduate
      and graduate student) African, Hispanic and Native
      American students to the conservation field. Paid
      internship includes: $4,800 stipend, $300 relocation
      expenses, free housing or $1,000 housing allowance.

      More Information: www.eco.org/conservation

      Contact: Casey Barnard, 617-426-4783, ext. 160,
      cbarnard@...

      Message: 15
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:41:02 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: SACNAS News – Call for Authors and Contributions: Art and Science

      Undergraduate and graduate students, professional
      researchers and administrators, newly minted Ph.D.s,
      K-12 educators—the editors of the SACNAS News are
      looking for contributors to the upcoming edition of
      the newsletter. The spring 2006 SACNAS News will
      explore the relationships between art and science:

      Science and art share a rich communion of ideas and
      inspiration, technique and tools that have co-evolved
      and enriched innovation for each discipline. Many
      individuals who are both scientists and artists are
      finding that the creative synergy between the fields
      is enhancing their research and their creative
      _expression in unexpected and exciting ways. This
      issue of the SACNAS News explores the intersection of
      science and art and introduces readers to scientists
      who create and perform, artists who draw from science
      and technology, and those somewhere in the middle.

      In addition, the SACNAS Community section will feature
      the efforts and adventures of SACNAS Student Chapters.
      Chapter representatives are encouraged to contact the
      editors by the December 16 deadline.

      More Information: http://www.sacnas.org/journal.htm
      Contact: Please contact Lin Hundt at
      editors@... or 831-459-0170, ext. 227 to
      discuss your ideas, article focus, and confirm your
      participation as a contributing author.
      Deadline to Indicate Interest/Submit Queries: December
      16, 2005

      Message: 16
      Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:41:57 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Kaiser Family Foundation Relaunches Media Fellowships in Health
      Program

      Kaiser Family Foundation Relaunches Media Fellowships
      in Health Program

      Deadline: March 16, 2006

      The purpose of the Henry J. Kaiser Family
      Foundation's
      ( http://www.kff.org/ ) Kaiser Media Fellowship in
      Health
      Program is to help journalists and commentators do
      the
      best possible job of keeping the public informed
      about
      health issues at this critical time in the evolution
      of
      the U.S. healthcare system. Starting in 2006, up to
      ten
      fellowships will be awarded to U.S. journalists
      interested
      in U.S. health policy issues.

      The fellowship program is designed to provide a
      highly
      flexible range of opportunities tailored to each
      fellow's
      interests; help journalists improve the quality of
      the
      work they do; provide time to research specific
      topics;
      and deepen participants' commitment to becoming
      special-
      ists in health reporting.

      In the redesigned program, fellows will have the
      option
      of undertaking a fellowship project for up to nine
      months;
      however, shorter fellowship projects are also
      possible,
      with a minimum one-month research/reporting project.

      All fellows will be required to accomplish the
      following:
      complete at least one individually designed research
      project or field practicum; meet regularly with
      other
      Kaiser media fellows and with a range of leading
      experts,
      policy makers, journalists, and others in the health
      field; and participate in program site visits.

      All stipends will be awarded on the basis of
      fellowship
      length and project need, with up to $50,000 awarded
      for a
      nine-month fellowship. Additional expenses,
      including
      travel, will also be met. Where possible, the
      fellow's
      employer will be actively encouraged to supplement
      the
      fellowship stipend.

      Any journalist, editor, or producer specializing in
      health
      reporting -- or wanting to do so -- is eligible,
      with one
      main restriction: applicants must be U.S. citizens,
      or
      must work for an accredited U.S. media organization.
      There
      is no age restriction, but typically fellows are in
      the
      early to mid-career range, with at least five years'
      experience as a journalist.

      Visit the Kaiser Family Foundation Web site for
      complete
      program details and application requirements.

      RFP Link:
      http://fconline.fdncenter.org/pnd/5001736/kff/media

      For additional RFPs in Journalism/Media, visit:
      http://fdncenter.org/pnd/rfp/cat_journalism.jhtml

      Message: 17
      Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:54:39 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Human Rights Delegations for Young Leaders - Summer 2006

      Human Rights Delegations for Young Leaders

      Summer 2006 Programs
      Bosnia, Cambodia, Guatemala and Rwanda

      Global Youth Connect, an international human rights
      organization, is pleased to announce that we are
      currently recruiting young leaders (ages 18-25) to
      participate in human rights delegations during the
      summer of 2006. Program locations include: Bosnia,
      Cambodia, Guatemala and Rwanda.

      Human rights delegations are a unique, first-hand
      opportunity to cross cultural boundaries and learn
      about the daily reality of human rights as experienced
      in a complex and increasingly globalized world.

      Bosnia

      Program Dates: June 26 - July 15, 2006

      This delegation will explore the roots of conflict and
      the dynamics of justice, reconciliation and
      peacebuilding as experienced in Bosnia. In
      particular, participants will gain experience in
      conflict resolution and transformation and deepen
      their understanding of the post-conflict challenges
      faced by Bosnians today, especially youth.

      Cambodia

      Program Dates: July 16 - August 15, 2006

      Participants will learn about the historical roots of
      conflict and genocide in Cambodia. We will examine
      how current human rights challenges, especially
      landlessness, are impacting the country, particularly
      their effect on the lives of Cambodian youth. We will
      connect with young Cambodians and get involved in
      collaborative projects to support the development and
      rebuilding process already underway.

      Guatemala

      Program Dates: July 1 - July 31, 2006

      This delegation will analyze the roots of historical
      and current violence in Guatemala as well as seek to
      better understand how this violence, both past and
      present, has impacted the people of Guatemala. In
      particular we will focus on connecting with youth in
      indigenous communities in the Western Highlands as
      well as reflect on how policies and practices in the
      U.S. have affected the lives of ordinary Guatemalans.
      Spanish proficiency is required.

      Rwanda

      Program Dates: May 21 - June 19, 2006

      This program will explore the roots of the 1994
      Rwandan genocide and how this legacy of violence has
      impacted the country and its people, particularly
      Rwandan youth. Participants will learn more about the
      current situation in Rwanda, connect with young
      Rwandans, and get involved in collaborative projects
      aimed at promoting peace and reconciliation.

      How to Apply

      We invite interested young leaders to apply. We are
      looking for participants who are between the ages of
      18-25, possess U.S. citizenship or residency, or are
      studying full-time at a U.S. college or university.
      Most importantly, applicants should wish to expand
      their knowledge and understanding of human rights and
      social justice. The deadline to receive applications
      is December 2, 2005.

      For more information on the program details, costs,
      and how to apply, please visit our website:
      www.globalyouthconnect.org/participate

      Best wishes,

      Jennifer Kloes
      Executive Director
      Global Youth Connect
      www.globalyouthconnect.org
      jennifer@...

      Message: 18
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:43:38 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: REU position - spring 2006 - modeling seed dispersal in Panama.

      We seek a highly motivated upper-level undergraduate
      with a strong quantitative background to conduct
      research on seed dispersal by wind in tropical forests
      for three or more months between January and May 2006.

      Information:
      http://www.cbs.umn.edu/eeb/faculty/Muller-LandauHelene/Seed%20disperal.htm

      Contact: Helene Muller-Landau at hmuller@...

      Message: 19
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:45:31 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Attention current K-12 teachers: Albert Einstein Distinguished
      Educator Fellowship

      Apply Now for the 2006-2007 Albert Einstein
      Distinguished Educator Fellowship Program
      Attention current K-12 teachers: Are you an
      experienced educator who is ready to make a difference
      on a national scale? If so, consider applying for an
      Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellowship and
      prepare for a year of unique opportunities. As a
      Fellow you will spend a school year in Washington, DC
      sharing your expertise with policy makers. You may
      serve your Fellowship with Congress or one of several
      government agencies such as the Department of Energy,
      the National Science Foundation, the National
      Institutes of Health, the National Oceanic and
      Atmospheric Administration, the National Institute of
      Standards and Technology, or NASA.

      The goal of the Einstein Fellows program is to provide
      an opportunity for teachers to inform national policy
      and improve communication between the K-12 STEM
      education community and national leaders.
      Information: www.trianglecoalition.org/ein.htm
      Application Deadline: January 10, 2006

      Message: 20
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:22:13 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Help them Live Project - Learn about the Convention on the Rights of
      the Child

      Dear Friends,

      The Help Them Live Project is an educational music
      project which promotes awareness of the Convention on
      the Rights of the Child. The project is designed for
      ages 5-12,and includes research about the plights of
      children around the globe. It may serve also as a
      fund-raiser, being a form of service learning for a
      chosen charity of the participants' choice. The piece
      is an excerpt from a larger dramatic musical,
      Everybody's Everybody, which focuses on helping
      children in Africa. Help Them Live is now available as
      a free download on the website,
      http://www.spiralingmusic.com
      An MP3 download of the sountrack is included.

      Yours,

      Merrill Collins, Spiraling Music
      merrill@...

      Message: 21

      Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:53:22 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Best Practices in Helping Victims in Indian Country: 11/16/05 via WEB

      Best Practices in Helping Victims in Indian Country:
      November
      16,
      2005

      On November 16th at 2 p.m. (eastern time), the Office
      for Victims of
      Crime
      (OVC) will host a Web Forum discussion with Jo Hally
      on assisting
      victims of
      crime in Indian Country. Mrs. Hally is the founder and
      Executive
      Director of
      Native American Circle, Ltd. (NAC)-a nonprofit
      corporation established
      provide victim advocacy and training to urban and
      Tribal Nation
      programs
      providing services to American Indian/Alaska Native
      victims of violent
      crime, including domestic violence, sexual assault,
      and stalking. She
      brings
      more than twenty years of organizational,
      administrative, and
      managerial
      experience to the field. Mrs. Hally wrote the first
      edition of NAC's
      handbook concerning domestic violence, sexual assault,
      and stalking
      crimes
      in Native communities, and she is an outspoken
      activist for the rights
      of
      battered women and speaks at national, regional, and
      local conferences
      and
      seminars.

      Mrs. Hally is of Choctaw (Chahta)/Cherokee (Tsaligi)
      descent and is
      adopted
      to the Ware family, Kiowa Tribe of Oklahoma.

      Visit the OVC Web Forum now at
      http://ovc.ncjrs.org/ovcproviderforum to
      submit questions for Mrs. Hally and return on November
      16th at 2 p.m.
      (eastern time) for the live discussion.

      OVC's Web Forum allows participants to tap into a
      national network of
      people
      with various backgrounds but all facing similar
      challenges and
      experiences.
      It's the perfect place for crime victim service
      providers and allied
      professionals to gain peer insight and support related
      to best
      practices in
      victim services.

      Make connections. Share ideas. Change lives. Visit the
      OVC Web Forum
      today
      at http://ovc.ncjrs.org/ovcproviderforum.

      PUTTING VICTIMS FIRST.
      OVC shares your mission and has a wide range of
      resources to help you
      accomplish it. Visit the National Criminal Justice
      Reference Service
      online
      at http://www.ncjrs.gov to register for services or
      call 1-800-851-3420
      (TTY
      1-877-712-9279 ) to find out more.

      Message: 23
      Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:51:12 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Alternative Social Forum - Caracas, January 2006

      Original article is at:
      http://www.indybay.org/news/2005/10/1775672.php

      Alternative Social Forum - Caracas, January 2006
      Foro Social Alternativo - fsa@...
      Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2005 at 2:00 PM

      * From Venezuela we extend an invitation to an
      international event of and for social movements in the
      struggle, as a more valid option to the bureaucratic
      spectacle the World Social Forum has become.

      º Call to the Alternative Social Forum

      From January 24 to 29 2006 the VI World Social Forum
      -WSF- will take place in Caracas and in other parts of
      the world. The Venezuelan capital will also host the
      II Social Forum of the Americas.

      We are a group of social activists, artists,
      professionals, workers, leftist intellectuals and
      people convinced of the need for change and the
      promotion of freedom and social justice, we believe it
      is appropriate to open and maintain spaces for debate
      and the construction of the dynamics of
      transformation; however, considering the experiences
      of National Social Forums, the diverse Festivals in
      Solidarity with Venezuela, the World Festival of
      Students and Youth and the very conformation of the
      committee promoting the WSF–Caracas, the conditions do
      not exist to make the January gathering a pluralistic,
      independent, open, self-managed, and non-deliberative
      encounter as declared by the same World Social Forum.

      We therefore issue a call for an Alternative Social
      Forum during the same days, with the participation of
      all those in agreement with the importance of opening
      a space for gathering, debate and the rebuilding of
      social networks, a space for the debate of the
      movements’ agendas and not the ones imposed by those
      at the top, whatever their sign, and critical of the
      fixed-point and the contradictions in the Bolivarian
      government, a space for meaningful debate on the
      revolution and the traditional political categories in
      times of globalization, where the diversity, identity
      and autonomy of the participants are honored, that
      would transcend from being a week long forum to become
      an open permanent network for dialogue among the many
      actors, a counter current to the blackmails,
      manipulations and false polarizations that have
      characterized the current situation in this country.

      The Alternative Social Forum aspires to be a net with
      as many hubs as possible, performing many activities
      in different places throughout the nation, with an
      agenda collectively defined and coordinated in a
      decentralized way. We want a space without
      homogenizing intentions and without electoral
      rationality that will in practice and in its
      discussions be a reply to the authority, imperialism,
      capitalism, economic globalization, bureaucratic
      cronyism, militarism, machismo, ecological
      destruction, exclusion and discrimination that oppress
      us in our daily lives.

      º Frequently asked questions about the Alternative
      Social Forum -ASF-

      1) What is the ASF and how does it work?

      The ASF is an initiative for the development of a
      meaningful debate about the significance of social
      change today. It tries to be a wide and diverse
      network of groups engaged in activities in various
      points of the Venezuelan geography, with a
      collectively defined agenda and decentralized
      operational coordination. Any person or group can
      propose a topic for discussion or make a call for a
      reunion, video forum, workshop or talk on any matter
      of interest, participate in any discussion or generate
      a new one. The ASF will make sure all gatherings will
      be promoted equally and that all the parts can
      communicate among themselves with no restrictions. If
      need be, the ASF could also look for physical space,
      logistical support and suggest speakers to enrich the
      discussions. The ASF is a dynamic moment for debate
      and construction, a plural network of forums for
      discussing and confronting ideas while respecting the
      human condition of those who defend them.

      2) Who finances the ASF?

      This forum is a self-managed effort and will not
      accept donations or contributions form State organisms
      or private enterprise. Its financing will come from
      the contributions of the participants as individuals,
      from social and cultural collectives or donations from
      foundations or academic institutions that do not
      threaten its autonomy.

      3) How can I participate in the ASF?

      Anybody interested and in tune with the general
      principles of the ASF can take part. There is no
      accreditation or static membership and taking part in
      the dynamics is effective when proposing events or
      taking part in the activities put forth by any of its
      participants. The degree of commitment is variable and
      range from lending a space to helping maintain the
      network and the communication among the various links.

      4) Where is the ASF located?

      The ASF doesn’t have offices or paid personnel. The
      ASF exists as long as there are discussions and
      relations among the different performers under its
      name, given that diversity enriches and strengthens
      such space. In principle there is a web site
      [fsa@...] (URL:
      http://www.fsa.contrapoder.org.ve)

      5) Is the ASF anti-Chavez?

      The current government of Venezuela is not the only
      or the most important issue, the agenda will be formed
      as many times as necessary, by those who believe they
      have something to argue in favor or against. The
      participants in the ASF will take a position on any
      national or international situation, but the ASF as
      such rejects the dichotomy – promoted by the powers
      that be – that splits the nation between “chavistas
      and “opposition” and will defend its independence from
      any institution, whether public or private, as well as
      from political parties. As can be seen in our call,
      the ASF responds to some general principles such as
      the rejection of capitalism, economic globalization,
      bureaucratic cronyism, militarism, bureaucratic and
      authoritarian socialism, machismo, imperialism,
      ecological destruction, exclusion and discrimination.
      In tune with these values, the ASF is a pluralistic
      space for dialogue, discussion and debate for all
      those who want social change and are active in!
      social movements.

      6) Given that the ASF is a network of forums and
      links, who can speak for the forum?

      There will be no political declarations under the
      signature of the ASF. Participating individuals and
      groups can, when they deem it convenient, show their
      own opinions or their relationship to the ASF, but
      nobody can make collective declarations. Operational
      decisions will be taken by means of decentralized
      coordination.

      7) Will the ASF propose candidates for elections?

      The ASF harbors no electoral intentions and will not
      allow candidates of any sign to capitalize on it. The
      ASF will not support or advertise any candidate of any
      country for whatever office. The individuals taking
      part can vote or abstain according to their ideology.

      8) Can political parties take part in the ASF?

      Everything is open to discussion in the ASF and there
      isn’t any previously decided issue: the forms of
      organization, electoral suffrage or instances of
      municipal, local or national power are subjects for
      debate. However, being that political parties already
      have their own communication platforms and
      proselytizing spaces, the ASF will avoid becoming an
      electoral party and will not accept the incorporation
      as such of parties and organizations enrolled and
      active in the National Electoral Council. Any militant
      from such organizations may become individually
      involved and may participate in social, cultural,
      intellectual or sports collectives.

      9) Is the ASF against the World Social Forum?

      There is generalized refusal in the ASF. Some
      promoters have questions regarding the form and spirit
      of the development of the WSF, but our dynamic doesn’t
      attempt to compete or be a rival with the WSF. We
      think that the current situation in Latin America –
      with several rhetorically left governments in power-
      is different than when the WSF appeared as a counter
      weight to the Davos Economic Forum. This situation
      opens up new agendas for discussion, for example the
      performance of the Latin American Left in power, more
      or less influenced by social policies promoted by the
      same WSF, the performance of the NGO’s or this space –
      in theory the “movement of movements” – reproducing
      the hierarchies and dynamics of global power. On the
      other hand, we doubt the ability of a country where
      there isn’t any autonomous and struggling social
      fabric to stage an event of this nature without
      becoming an act of proclamation or an appendix to the
      political propaganda of the Venezuelan State, as !
      we have already seen in the National Social Forums
      and the various international conclaves that have
      taken place in Caracas. Given these considerations, we
      take the dates for the WSF as a motivating factor for
      the development of a space in which the country’s
      social movements may engage in dialogue, debate their
      agendas and exchange experiences without the
      blackmails and polarizations that stopped and
      fragmented the people’s organizations and
      mobilizations initiated in 1989 for a profound change
      in society. The promotion of an ASF is a reply to the
      diverse exclusions, the belittling of thought and the
      imposition of electoral rationality upon popular
      people’s initiatives. Therefore, the ASF is born not
      to become the rival of the WSF, but to initiate a
      dynamic for debate from and for the local social
      movements that we think does not exist today.

      10) Can I participate in the ASF while also
      participating in the WSF?

      The ASF empowers the autonomy of the individuals that
      take part in its development, therefore anybody is
      free, if they so wish, to get involved in the events
      or discussions of the WSF as with any other political
      initiative and, in parallel, to take part in the ASF.
      The ASF wishes to ensure that the agenda for
      discussion, brought about by means of a decentralized
      network, will occur independently of whether this
      debate also happens in other instances.

      www.fsa.contrapoder.org.ve

      Message: 24
      Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:33:44 -0800 (PST)
      From: Alyssa Macy <nativeshare@...>
      Subject: Indigenous Peoples of the Americas: Conflict, Resistance, & Peace
      Making, November 16-18, 2005

      Wednesday, November 16, 2005

      10-11 am SACRED STAFF CEREMONY UNM Plaza-
      East Side
      (Peace & Dignity Journey)

      11-2 pm UNM INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL UNM
      Johnson Auxiliary
      Gym
      - Food, music, and crafts from
      every corner of
      the
      world.
      - Including Fair Trade
      Exhibits from
      Indigenous
      communities in:
      * Chiapas *
      Pueblo * Ecuador
      Amazon
      * Huichol
      * Manta Ortiz *
      Navajo *
      Raramuri *
      Sarayacu

      4-6 pm SACRED HOMELANDS UNM Student
      Union (SUB)
      Ballroom A
      - Laurie Weahkee, Facilitator
      - Tupac Enrique, Tonatierra
      - Adrian Hendricks, Oothham
      - Ikaika Hussey, DMZ
      Hawaii/Aloha Aina
      - Luci Beach , Gwich¹in
      Village Alaska

      6-9 pm WELCOME RECEPTION UNM
      SUB Ballroom A
      - Prayer Offering , Everett
      Baldwin (Red Wolf)
      - Native American Studies
      Program, Greg Cajete
      - NM Department of Indian
      Affairs, Cabinet
      Secretary Benny Shendo Jr.
      - Americans for Indian
      Opportunity, La Donna
      Harris
      - UNM Presidents Office, Pam
      Agoyo
      - CONAIE, Luis Macas
      (Ecuador)

      Thursday, November 17, 2005

      10-12 am GLOBALIZATION AND INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
      SUB Union
      (Session conducted in Spanish
      with English
      translation) Spirit/Trailblazer
      -
      Esperanza Lujan, Facilitator
      Room
      - Feliciano Valencia,
      Colombia -
      Pedro
      Sosa, Guatemala
      - Lottie Cunningham,
      Nicaragua -
      Rosamel
      Millaman Reinao, Chile
      - Jose Carlos
      Morales, Costa Rica - Margarita Gutierrez,
      Chiapas

      12-2 pm UTILIZING GRADUATE EDUCATION
      SUB
      Union
      FOR NATIVE ACTIVISM Spirit/Trailblazer
      Room
      - Student Panel from UNM Society for Native
      American Graduate
      Students
      (brown bag lunch)

      2-4 pm HEART OF THE PEOPLE
      SUB Union
      - Christine Zuni, Facilitator
      Spirit/Trailblazer Room
      - Maurus Chino, Acoma Pueblo
      - Phyllis Fast, Athabascan
      - Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz,
      - Larson Bill, Western
      Shoshone

      6-9 pm VISION QUEST (films)
      SUB Ballroom C
      - PO¹PAY, Beverly Singer
      - Amoxtli San Ce Tojuan,
      Roberto Rodriquez
      - Homeland: Four Portraits of
      Native Action
      (Capitan family invited)
      - Star Quilt Presentation for
      Peace, Richard
      Iron
      Cloud

      Friday, November 18, 2005

      9-12 am PEACE MAKING IN A WORLD OF CONFLICT
      SUB LOBO Room

      Encuentro Continental ­ A Public Plenary Session to
      prepare a
      communique to the Special Rapporteur, Office of the
      United Nations
      High Commission for Human Rights and the Secretariat,
      UN Permanent
      Forum on Indigenous Issues regarding the human rights
      of Indigenous
      Peoples of the Americas. Facilitator,
      Ted Jojola,
      Indigneous
      Planning Division, APA, UNM, Community and
      Regional Planning
      Program.

      12-12:30 pm KEYNOTE ADDRESS: LUIS MACA, Ecuador
      SUB LOBO Room
      President, Confederación Nacional Indígena de Ecuador
      (CONAIE) an
      international advocate for Indigenous rights

      12:30-1:30 CLOSING CEREMONY (Red Wolf)
      SUB
      LOBO
      Room
      pm

      Aloha kakou,

      Ikaika Hussey is on the program at this conference.
      Anyone from UH
      going...?

      mahalo,

      ~rs

      Friday, November 18, 2005

[...]

      **You are welcome to reprint, copy, archive, quote or re-post this item, but
      please retain the original and listserv source**

      For individuals that would like to post information, please send it in an
      email format (preferably Times New Roman 12 font; no bold, italics,
      underlining). Please be sure you include a contact for your postings. As a
      policy, we do not post attachments.

      If you have any questions or comments regarding this service, please do not
      hesitate to contact NativeShare at NativeShare@.... If you are receiving
      this as a forwarded message, please join the list serve by sending an email
      to: NativeShare-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Moderated by Alyssa Macy

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University North Union
      Flagstaff, AZ 86011 Bldg 3, APT A
      http://www.nau.edu/eeop/
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb