FWD: Young Naturalist Awards

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2005
      >===== Original Message From Deb Thrall <dthrall@...> =====
      Please circulate this submission information on the Young Naturalist
      Awards at the American Museum of Natural History (see below and web site
      at http://www.amnh.org/nationalcenter/youngnaturalistawards/).

      Fall, 2005

      Dear Educator,

      The American Museum of Natural History invites you and your students to
      participate in the 2006 Young Naturalist Awards. The Young Naturalist
      Awards is a research-based essay contest for students in grades 7 - 12
      to promote participation and communication in science.

      Students who enter will conduct their own investigations on a topic in
      the field of biology, Earth science or astronomy. They will plan their
      own scientific expeditions during which they will identify questions,
      collect data, make observations, and draw conclusions Students will
      present their findings in narrative essays that combine the story of
      their expeditions with sound facts, detailed observations and insightful
      questions.

      The essays will be judged by a panel of Museum scientists, docents,
      environmentalists, and science teachers. All students who enter will
      receive a personalized letter from the judges providing constructive
      feedback that highlights the strong points of their research. Winners of
      the contest (two from each grade) win cash scholarship awards, and an
      expense-paid trip to New York City to meet Museum scientists and attend
      an award ceremony. Their essays will published on the Museum Web site
      and excerpted in /Natural History/ magazine.

      New updates to our Web site provide strategies and tips that can be used
      by teachers who want to integrate the Young Naturalist Awards into their
      science curriculum or by teachers who run science clubs. Student
      guidelines take them step-by-step through the research process. Complete
      contest guidelines, entry information, and prize categories can be found
      at: www.amnh.org/youngnaturalistawards
      <http://www.amnh.org/youngnaturalistawards>.

      We hope you and your students will take advantage of this opportunity to
      explore the natural world around you. If you have any questions, please
      contact Christine Economos, the YNA administrator at yna@...
      <mailto:yna@...> or call 212-496-3498.

      Sincerely,

      Rosamond Kinzler, Ph. D.

      Director, National Center for Science Literacy, Education, and Technology

      American Museum of Natural History

      Central Park West at 79^th Street

      New York, NY 10024-5192

      Lisa Breslof, M.S.Ed
      Supervising Museum Instructor
      Department of Education
      American Museum of Natural History
      Central Park West at 79th Street
      New York, NY 10024
      Phone: 212-769-5169
      Fax: 212-313-7182
      e-mail:breslof@...
      John Burroughs Association
      http://research.amnh.org/burroughs

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University North Union
      Flagstaff, AZ 86011 Bldg 3, APT A
      http://www.nau.edu/eeop/
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb