Fwd: Humanity in Action Summer International Fellowship

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 7 KB

    From: Melissa H Riggs
    Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:57 PM
    To: Sharon Singer Doctor
    Cc: Catherine R Talakte; Kathleen Frank
    Subject: Humanity in Action Summer International Fellowship

    Please announce ASAP  to your listserv of undergrad students.   Thanks!

    Humanity in Action is an international educational organization that educates, inspires, and connects a global network of students, young professionals and established leaders committed to promoting human rights, diversity, and active citizenship—in their own communities and around the world.

    The Humanity in Action Fellowship is a unique opportunity for university sophomores, juniors, seniors, and recent graduates to study human rights and minority issues in an international setting. All majors and academic disciplines are encouraged to apply. Recipients participate in a summer orientation hosted by the Council on Foreign Relations in Washington, DC and a month-long human rights fellowship program in one of five European cities: Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Paris or Warsaw.

    NAU had an HIA Fellow last year!  She says: HIA was a fantastic experience! I feel like I learned more in that month than I did in a semester of college. It's not often that you get to be put together with people of all different backgrounds, experiences, countries, and mother tongues. I lived with a fabulous family who was excited to share their culture and home with me. By the end I felt a little bit Dutch. I rode a bike they lent me all over the city and used it as my main source of transportation. I was able to go to the ITCY in the Hague, talk with grassroots community organizers, and so much more. If you need financial help they provide it. It was such a unique and awesome experience. They are also very well organized. Once you have finished your fellowship you become a senior fellow and are always connected to the organization and the networks and benefits it provides. There are all sorts of opportunities for senior fellows whether it’s going to an international conference or internships. It is an intimate and exhausting program that is well worth it!”

    The program is highly interdisciplinary and features daily lectures and discussions with renowned academics, journalists, politicians and activists, as well as site visits to government agencies, non-profit and community organizations, museums and memorials. The programs seek to highlight different models of action to remedy injustice.

    Humanity in Action Fellows are selected on a highly competitive basis for their high academic standing, active participation in human rights issues, leadership potential, social maturity, and outstanding recommendations from academics and other professionals known to the applicant.

    Program Dates:  May 26 - June 30, 2014

    Application Deadline:  January 9, 2014

    Find out more at http://www.humanityinaction.org/.  I am available for feedback to help you polish your application.

    Melissa Hatfield Riggs

    Coordinator, National and International Scholarships and Fellowships

    Northern Arizona University
    Office:  Cowden, Room 110

    PO Box 5689, Flagstaff, AZ  86011-5689

    928.523.6357 (ph); 928.523.6558 (fax)

    nau.edu/nisf     facebook.com/NAUScholarships