AMS graduate climate course offered for free in Arizona

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2013

      Tribal Environmental Education
      Institute for Tribal Env Prof
      Northern Arizona University

      From: "Warder, Eleanor M - (warder)" <warder@...>
      Date: December 3, 2013 at 1:50:00 PM MST

      Dear Arizona Educator,

      My name is Dana Perry, and I am the Arizona education representative to the American Meteorological Society (AMS).  I am writing to invite you and your colleagues to participate in an online climate course offered by the AMS in Spring 2014.  Earth’s Climate System (ECS) is a free 12-week online course for teachers and staff at K-12 schools and districts (http://www.ametsoc.org/amsedu/ECS/index.html); the course begins January 20, 2014.

      ·      Please consider the information in this email for yourself and pass along to others you think would benefit.

      ·      Please submit applications by December 22, 2013.

      ·      Yes, the course is free!  All course materials (textbook, investigations manual) are provided at no cost to course participants, plus participants get three graduate-level credits from the State University of New York, again, at no cost.  By taking ECS, the AMS hopes that teachers/staff will become climate resource persons to their schools, districts, and communities.

      ·      The course is online.  Participants email weekly assignments to their mentors.  One portion of those weekly assignments is found on the AMS webpage for ECS, where AMS takes advantage of the online venue by providing up-to-date exercises related to current weather and/or climate events.  In addition to the online weekly assignments, the Arizona ECS group meets three times throughout the semester.

      ·      The weekly workload takes about 3-5 hours, based on input from past participants.  Over the past three years, nearly 40 K-12 teachers/staff from around the state have participated in the ECS course and developed their plans for becoming climate resource persons.  The participants said they spent anywhere from 2-4 hours per week for the assignments, which include reading, answering questions, and completing three investigations.  As they started to develop their future plans, participants added approximately 1 hour per week.

      ·      Participants work with mentors who are professionals in the field of weather and climate.  The Arizona Local Implementation Team of mentors consists of Nancy Selover (Arizona State Climatologist and ASU faculty), Lynn Newman (Physical Geography faculty at Glendale Community College), and myself; I am a chemistry instructor at Glendale Community College.

      ·      Interdisciplinary!  Teachers from various science areas, such as biology, environmental science, and earth science have participated, in addition to teachers in social science.  Math teachers are encouraged to apply, as much of the data is mathematically based through the use of graphs and equations.

      ·      Hurry and apply, the course has filled quickly the past three years, and several teachers have already expressed an interest in the Spring 2014 course!  Only 8 participants are accepted each semester (teams of participants from the same school or district are preferred).  The AMS gives priority to applicants who apply in teams from the same school or district.  To apply for the Spring 2014 ECS course, complete the DS ECS application (attached or at http://www.ametsoc.org/amsedu/ECS/index.html).

      This program offered by the AMS is an excellent professional development/continuing education opportunity for K-12 teachers and staff, so I encourage you and your colleagues to apply.  If you would like more information, please contact me.  Also, please feel free to pass this information along to others who will benefit from this program.

      Thank you,

      Dana Perry

      dperryaz@... or dana.perry@...

      623-236-9391

      Department of Chemistry

      Glendale Community College

      6000 W. Olive Ave.

      Glendale AZ 85302

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13 12:52 PM

        Begin forwarded message:

        From: "Warder, Eleanor M - (warder)" <warder@...>
        Date: November 13, 2014 at 1:34:10 PM MST
        Subject: [ua-announce] AMS graduate climate course offered for free in Arizona

        Dear Arizona Educator,

        My name is Dana Perry, and I am the Arizona education representative to the American Meteorological Society (AMS).  I am writing to invite you and your colleagues to participate in an online climate course offered by the AMS.  Earth’s Climate System (ECS) is a free 12-week online course for teachers and staff at K-12 schools and districts (http://www.ametsoc.org/amsedu/ECS/index.html).

        ·      Please submit applications by January 9, 2015.  Applications for both the Spring 2015 and Fall 2015 semesters are being accepted at this time.  Note on your application the semester you wish to apply for, but also note that you are open to either semester if you are not accepted to the semester of your choosing.

        ·      Yes, the course is free!  All course materials are provided at no cost to course participants, plus participants get three graduate-level credits from the State University of New York, again, at not cost.  By taking ECS, the AMS hopes that teachers/staff will become climate resource persons to their schools, districts, and communities.

        ·      The course is online, with the exception of 2 group meetings per semester.  Participants email weekly assignments to their mentors.  One portion of those weekly assignments is found on the AMS webpage for ECS, where AMS takes advantage of the online venue by providing up-to-date exercises related to current weather and/or climate events.  In addition to the online weekly assignments, the Arizona ECS group meets twice throughout the semester.

        ·      The weekly workload takes about 3-5 hours, based on input from past participants.  Over the past four years, nearly 50 K-12 teachers/staff from around the state have participated in the ECS course and developed their plans for becoming climate resource persons.  The participants said they spent anywhere from 2-4 hours per week for the assignments, which include reading, answering questions, and completing three investigations.  As they started to develop their Lesson Plans, participants added approximately 1 hour per week.

        ·      Participants work with mentors who are professionals in the field of weather and climate.  The Arizona Local Implementation Team of mentors consists of Nancy Selover (Arizona State Climatologist and ASU faculty), Lynn Newman (Physical Geography faculty at Glendale Community College), and myself; I am a chemistry instructor at Glendale Community College.

        ·      Interdisciplinary!  Teachers from various science areas, such as biology, environmental science, and earth science have participated, in addition to teachers in social science.  Math teachers are encouraged to apply, as much of the data is mathematically based through the use of graphs and equations.

        ·      Hurry and apply, the course has filled quickly the past four years, and several teachers have already applied for the Spring 2015 course!  Only 6 participants are accepted each semester. The AMS gives priority to applicants who apply in teams from the same school or district, so teams of participants from the same school or district are preferred.  To apply for the ECS course, complete the DS ECS application (attached or at http://www.ametsoc.org/amsedu/ECS/index.html).

        This program offered by the AMS is an excellent professional development/continuing education opportunity for K-12 teachers and staff, so I encourage you and your colleagues to apply.  If you would like more information, please contact me.  Also, please feel free to pass this information along to others who will benefit from this program.

        Thank you,
        Dana Perry
        623-236-9391

        Department of Chemistry