Fwd: [tchrs] What kind of future do you want? (contest for people ages 13-25). Nov. 10 DEADLINE

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2013

      From: Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@...>
      Date: September 11, 2013, 2:53:20 PM PDT
      To: <TCHRS@...>
      Subject: [tchrs] What kind of future do you want? (contest for people ages 13-25). Nov. 10 DEADLINE

      [received on July 25, 2013. Please announce to your students and young faculty. Nov. 30 deadline -- Jane J]

      http://azscitechfest.org/blogs/future-%E2%80%93-powered-fiction

      What kind of future do you want to live in? What kind of future should we avoid? What is your wildest request of the future?

      At Arizona State University (ASU), the Center for Science and the Imagination has teamed up with Intel's Tomorrow Project and the Society for Science & the Public to start a broad public conversation about these questions -- and about the future we're building together.

      The Future - Powered by Fiction is a new competition that challenges young people worldwide to share their innovative designs for the future and explore possible futures through storytelling and creative expression.

      The competition runs until November 10, 2013 and is open to people ages 13-25 from anywhere in the world.

      Participants can submit science fiction short stories, essays, short films or comic books in any language. The 10 best submissions will be published in an e-book distributed for free by Intel and receive a $1000 award.

      "To build better futures, you need better dreams. Creating stories about the future that we can all believe in is a crucial first step in bringing those dreams to life," says Ed Finn, the director of the Center for Science and the Imagination. The competition is one aspect of our mission to craft new narratives that will inspire people to imagine a more equitable, beautiful and exciting future.

      To learn more and enter the competition, visit http://isef.tomorrow-projects.com.

      If you would like to  connect young people in your community with "The Future - Powered by Fiction," please contact Joey Eschrich at jpe@... .