Fwd: Flagstaff Water Festival

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2013

    Begin forwarded message:

    From: "Sleeper, Tina K - (tinasleeper)" <tinasleeper@...>
    Subject: Flagstaff Water Festival
    Date: August 27, 2013 11:21:08 AM MST

    Dear Flagstaff Water Festival Partners!

    This year flew by and our second annual Flagstaff Water Festival is less than a month away. Last year the Festival was revitalized after a long hiatus due to an amazing collaboration among the City of Flagstaff, SCA Tissue, Arizona Project WET, Northern Arizona University, and the Flagstaff Unified School District. This year, everyone stepped up once again and we even have some new partners at the Willow Bend Environmental Education Center and STEM City who are helping to recruit volunteers and invite charter and private school teachers. With everyone working together, this year's festival is going to be even better than last year!

    Here are some important dates for your calendars:
    • The Teacher Workshop is on September 7 at the FUSD District Office thanks to the hard work of Gretchen to secure access to the building on a Saturday and reserve us the nicest training room in the District! THANK YOU!
    • The Water Festival is on September 26 at Foxglenn Park. We are currently working on the exact times of the sessions with the FUSD transportation. Volunteers should plan to arrive about 7:30AM (subject to change depending on the start time of the first session).
    • Equipment set-up is on September 25 at 1 p.m. at Foxglenn Park. The set-up crew will meet me at the park at 1 p.m. Robin Harrington will be packing the trailer with City staff earlier and will meet us there with all the equipment.
    • Volunteer training is on September 25 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
    This is how we're doing on some of the logistics:
    • SCA Tissue and City of Flagstaff are jointly funding the entire festival. THANK YOU!
    • FUSD has provided a training room for all teachers, is paying FUSD teachers to attend the training, and will not charge for the transportation of the students to the festival. THANK YOU!
    • We have nearly 500 students and their teachers registered and we're giving teachers (officially) until Friday to register. There is only room for six more classes. Teachers can register at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WaterFestivalTeacher
    • We have 12 volunteers registered at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AWFvolunteerregistration. We need more volunteers, especially for the day of the Festival! Please help share the opportunity using the attached flyer!
    • We will have a NAU teacher candidate class participate in facilitating the lessons (Jim Manley is setting this up).
    • City of Flagstaff has the equipment, which I will be refurbishing and restocking on September 6th with the help of Robin to get access. Robin is also getting us a 4-wheeler to use to get equipment around the park.
    • AZ Rangers volunteers will be guarding the equipment from 6 p.m. on the 25th to 6 a.m. on the 26th.

    In the next coming weeks, I will be in touch regarding more updates and detailed information. Thank you everyone for being part of the Water Festival team!!!

    Tina Sleeper
    Arizona Project WET Communications
    Program Coordinator
    UA Cooperative Extension