summer M.I.T. MOOC: Mechanics ReView uses aspects of Modeling Instruction for problem-solving

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2013

      From: Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@...>
      Date: May 2, 2013, 7:38:55 AM MST
      To: <TCHRS@...>
      Subject: [tchrs] summer M.I.T. MOOC: Mechanics ReView uses aspects of Modeling Instruction for problem-solving

      summer M.I.T. MOOC: Mechanics ReView uses aspects of Model
      New MIT Online Physics Course to Provide Continuing Education Credit

      Mechanics ReView is a new Massive Open Online Course offered by MIT on the edX platform this summer.

      Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) have been hailed for their ability to provide education flexibly to thousands of learners at a time.

      Mechanics ReView was developed out of a three-week January review of classical mechanics offered to MIT students who struggled in MIT¹s first semester physics course, 8.01 Classical Mechanics. The course is designed for learners with a previous exposure to classical Newtonian mechanics, and uses rigorously designed assessments and a unique pedagogical approach to help learners develop confidence in their ability to solve physics problems using a structured approach.

      By choosing a system of objects, defining their interactions, and deciding on a model to use to describe them, you will come to solve physics problems more easily and more systematically.

      Prerequisites: An introductory physics course in high school or college. Very good algebra and trigonometry skills are essential, introductory calculus and vector calculus are helpful.

      Classes start on June 1 and end on Aug. 31. People can register after the start date.

      FOR TEACHERS:  If you are a teacher looking to improve your knowledge of mechanics, or to learn new approaches to teach your students, we encourage you to sign up. Our approach has been researched carefully and has proven effectiveness...
         Teachers in the United States, and especially in Massachusetts, can receive extra benefit from this course. We offer Professional Development Points (PDPs) at no charge to teachers in Massachusetts who complete our course. If you are in a different state, we instead offer Continuing Education Units through the AAPT. There is a $250 fee for this certificate.

      Course staff include David E. Pritchard,  a professor of physics at MIT and the creator of the MAPS curriculum that is at the core of Mechanics ReView. Dr. Pritchard is a pioneer in atomic physics research and has mentored three Nobel laureates. His research group currently focuses on understanding how students can learn better, especially from online courses such as this one.
      [Jane's note: David Pritchard and David Hestenes are friends, and the course uses aspects of Modeling Instruction for problem-solving.  Students do not develop models; rather, they are given the models, and they choose them and use them to solve problems. It is quite different from Modeling Instruction as taught in Modeling Workshops.]