Fwd: [E-TEACHERS] URGENT: Obama 2014 budget zeroes out NASA education and public outreach activities

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2013

      Tribal Environmental Education
      Institute for Tribal Env Prof
      Northern Arizona University

      From: Patricia Reiff <reiff@...>
      Date: April 16, 2013, 3:11:30 PM MST
      To: <e-teachers@...>
      Subject: [E-TEACHERS] URGENT: Obama 2014 budget zeroes out NASA education and public outreach activities

      URGENT!

      HELP SAVE NASA EDUCATION ACTIVITIES!

      Did you know the Obama 2014 budget released last week zeroed out all the NASA Education and Public Outreach funding, and will move all science education into either NSF, Smithsonian or Department of Education?  YOU COULD LOSE:  NASA Wavelength, NASA Edge, NASA Ambassadors, NASA-funded mission outreach, "Space Math", NASA-funded planetarium shows and software, NASA educator workshops, and much more.  Say goodbye to: Camilla SDO and all the NASA mascots and tweetups.  So long to NASA scientists working with educators to bring you the new results in language you can use with your students.  Forget the booths at NSTA handing out amazing educational materials.  (Also, forget educational materials and workshops from NOAA and other agencies).

      How can you help??

      http://t.co/r1oCFOU0Fn

      > Send an email, fax, call or write your congressional representatives, with a copy to OSTP Director John Holdren.  Give statistics or stories on how NASA resources have helped your students or helped you teach.   (Post your favorite stories here, too, with links, so we all can see them!)

      > Send letters to:

      OSTP Director John Holdren:

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/ostp/contactus

      >Check to see if your state is represented on any of these committees or subcommittees... letters to them will be especially helpful…

      House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology:

      http://science.house.gov

      especially the subcommittee on space:

      http://science.house.gov/subcommittee-space-and-aeronautics

      House Appropriations Committee:

      Commerce, Justice, Science subcommittee:

      http://appropriations.house.gov/subcommittees/subcommittee/?IssueID=34794

      Senate Commerce Committee:

      http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/

      Subcommittee on science and space:

      http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=ScienceandSpace

      Senate Appropriations Committee:

      http://www.appropriations.senate.gov

      Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies

      http://www.appropriations.senate.gov/sc-commerce.cfm

      PLEASE SHARE!!

      If you got this forwarded, and want to be on our "e-teacher" list, send email to e-teacher-subscribe@...

      To unsubscribe:  reply to me with "unsubscribe" in the subject.  For those few who asked to unsubscribe last week, I will do so but I wanted you to get this last email.

              ^

            /     \     Prof. Patricia H. Reiff

           /        \      Associate Director for Outreach, Rice Space Institute

         / _^ ^_ \     Rice University MS108, Houston, TX 77251-1892

        / /  O O  \ \     email:  reiff@...       (713)348-4634

       /  \       /  \     www:  http://space.rice.edu/reiff

       | \  ""U""  / |    "Why does man want to go to the Moon?

         | _/|\ /|\_ |   .. Why does Rice play Texas?"..JFK, Rice Stadium, 1962

         /             \       twitter:  @PatReiff  @DiscoveryDome @TriggerMMS

       facebook:  Discovery Dome  ; Trigger MMS ; Magnetospheric Multiscale