Using Models to Simplify the Complex Interactions of Water in the Valley

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2013

    From: Arizona Project WET <arizona.wet@...>
    Date: April 15, 2013, 4:33:58 PM MST
    To: <CAZ_pWET@...>, <SAZ_pWET@...>, <NAZ_pWET@...>, <Yava_pWET@...>
    Cc: Kerry Schwartz <kschwart@...>
    Subject: [SAZ_pWET] Opportunity to Delve in to one Aspect of the NGSS!

    Hi everyone,

    We at Arizona Project WET hope you are getting through that AIMS time of year!  Next Gen Science Standards are out and say:

    K-12 Science Education Should Reflect the Interconnected Nature of Science as it is Practiced and Experienced in the Real World.

    The NGSS Focus on Deeper Understanding of Content as well as Application of Content.

    Our topic for this year's UA/ASU workshop is: Using Models to Simplify the Complex Interactions of Water in the Valley.  Science and Engineering Practice #2 is Developing and Using Models.  From the Standards:

    In science, models are used to represent a system (or parts of a system) under study, to aid in the development of questions and explanations, to generate data that can be used to make predictions, and to communicate ideas to others. As such, models are based upon evidence. When new evidence is uncovered that the models can’t explain, models are modified.

    In engineering, models may be used to analyze a system to see where or under what conditions flaws might develop, or to test possible solutions to a problem. Models can also be used to visualize and refine a design, to communicate a design’s features to others, and as prototypes for testing design performance.

    The workshop will be held July 10-11, 2013 at Arizona State University's Decision Center for a Desert City, Brickyard Orchard House, 9:00am - 4:00pm daily. Middle and High School teachers will enhance their knowledge about how scientists and engineers develop and use models to solve problems and ask questions about water in the city with researchers from ASU and UofA as well as local water and science experts. Registration is first come first served and 35 participants will be selected (22 are currently signed up).
    See attached flyer for additional details and go to http://cals.arizona.edu/arizonawet/workshops/current_workshops.html to register.
    For questions, please contact Jill Hamilton at arizona.wet@....

    We look forward to seeing you this summer!

    --
    Jillian Hamilton

    Student Assistant

    Arizona Project WET