50 Modeling Workshops nationwide this summer: in physics, chem, biology

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6 9:41 AM

      From: Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@...>
      Date: March 6, 2013, 9:09:57 AM MST
      To: <TCHRS@...>
      Cc: Wendy Heheman <Gheheman@...>
      Subject: [tchrs] 50 Modeling Workshops nationwide this summer: in physics, chem, biology

      50 Modeling Workshops nationwide this summer: in physics,

      [Colleagues: If ASU Modeling Workshops are at inconvenient times, and/or if your biology teachers want to take a Modeling Workshop, below is information.
      Please forward this to your biology teachers.  Biology Modeling Workshops will be in Dallas Texas and near Philadelphia PA.  -- Jane Jackson, ASU]

      Fifty Modeling Workshops in high school physics, chemistry,  physical science, and biology will be offered in summer 2013, in many states. Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is designated by the U.S. Department of Education as an Exemplary K-12 science program.

      Some sites offer stipends, usually for in-state teachers.  Graduate credit is available at some sites. Pre-service teachers and TYC faculty are welcome too.

      Most workshops are described at  http://www.ptec.org/pd .

      Teachers say:
      *  "After the first year of teaching using the modeling method, I wished I had learned about modeling years ago."
          -- David Braunschweig (retired; consultant for Vernier Software & Technology).
      *  In the one year that I have been modeling, I have seen wonderful results.
      *  [As a graduate student in physics], I discovered the modeling method
      of instruction to be a rigorous approach to physics instruction on the high school level, and one that is consistent with the way physicists understand the universe.
           -- Doug Vallette
      *  Compared to "traditional" physics teaching, at our school modeling has created:
        (A) Larger enrollment in physics and AP Physics
        (B) Higher retention of students majoring in engineering and science when
      they go off to college
        (C) Greater quantitative analytical skills
        (D) Greater quantitative presentation skills
        (E) Much higher ability for "future non-science students" to communicate
      with science people
        (F) No plugging and chugging.
      *  We have had 3 physics teachers and 5 chemistry teachers enhance their professional development at your ASU modeling workshops.  Modeling has made a world of difference in our science courses.
          --Ray Howanski