Fwd: El Dia del Agua to be held April 10, 2013!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2013

      From: "Thompson, Teresa Handloser - (tht)" <tht@...>
      Date: March 3, 2013, 4:13:18 PM MST
      To: "Thompson, Teresa Handloser - (tht)" <tht@...>
      Subject: El Dia del Agua to be held April 10, 2013!

      Apologies for cross-posting if you are on multiple mailing lists! -- LW

      -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

      Where can you find a world-class group of student researchers from one of the premier institutions of hydrology and water resources, an exciting display of innovative and cutting edge-posters from all areas of water science, and a gathering of the best and brightest professionals, alumni, and faculty working in that field—all on one day and all in one location?  At the University of Arizona’s 23rd Annual El Dia del Agua!

      The Department of Hydrology and Water Resources and the HWR Student Association will host El Dia del Agua 2013, the annual student research showcase, on April 10, 2013.  El Dia is one of the hallmark events to be held during EarthWeek 2013 sponsored by the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences.

      El Dia del Agua Agenda

      You can view a tentative Schedule at a Glance here.  View programs from previous El Dias del Agua here.

      El Dia del Agua 2013 will feature a registration and continental breakfast hour, student oral presentations during the morning and afternoon, and student poster sessions several times throughout the day.  A light buffet lunch will feature a talk by Maria Baier, CEO of The Sonoran Institute and former Arizona State Land Commissioner.  Following the final afternoon oral and poster sessions is our keynote speaker, Dr. Abe Springer, Professor, College of Earth Sciences and Environmental Sustainability at Northern Arizona University.  Following the keynote address, student prizes and awards will be announced.  The president of the HWR Student Association will then announce this year’s recipients of the AquaMan-Aqua-Woman Awards, voted by the student population, that recognize the most outstanding junior and senior faculty instructors in the department.  Following the awards ceremony, a reception and social hour will be held for sponsors, attendees, and student presenters.

      Student Awards and Prizes

      El Dia del Agua is a juried competition, and students will be competing for over $5000 in awards and prizes, including The Montgomery Prize for Best Oral Presentation ($2000), The Hargis Awards for Best Posters ($1000 for 1st Place, $400 for 2nd Place), The Donald R. Davis Undergraduate with Distinction Award ($400), The Eugene S. Simpson Award for Best Undergraduate Poster ($400), The Department of Hydrology and Water Resources Best Oral Presentation ($400), and The Department of Hydrology and Water Resources Best Poster Presentation ($400).

      Registration

      All members of the hydrology and water resources profession and related fields and all supporters of water science in general and invited to join us for a fantastic day of student presentations and guest speakers.  You can register for El Dia 2013 here!

      Become A Sponsor

      The University of Arizona HWR department was the first autonomous department of hydrology and water resources in the nation and has a long history of academic and research excellence.  We encourage alumni, working professionals, and friends of the department to become a Sponsor of El Dia del Agua.

      Contributions of any amount above the basic cost of registration are tax deductible and will help defray the costs for student participation (oral and poster presenters) and student registration for this event.  There will be several opportunities for attendees to meet our outstanding student presenters between sessions but especially at the end of the day.

      Why Should You Attend El Dia del Agua?

      Expect to be amazed and inspired by our young student researchers.  The depth and breadth of their work and their passion and commitment to the field of hydrology and water resources is outstanding.  After attending El Dia del Agua, we feel assured that you will leave confident about the future of our profession.

      We look forward to seeing you at the 23rd Annual El Dia del Agua!

      For more information, see our El Dia 2013 Contacts page.

      /\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\

      Sent on behalf of C. Larrabee "Larry" Winter, Professor and Head
      Department of Hydrology and Water Resources at the University of Arizona

      by

      Terrie H. Thompson
      (Part-Time) HWR Web Designer/Developer
      (Retired) HWR Academic Advising Coordinator
      for BS, MS, M ENG, PHD in Hydrology and MS, PHD in Hydrometeorology

      CAMPUS:  318A JW Harshbarger Building

      TELE:  520-621-3801
      EM:  tht@... or terrie@...
      LINKED: Terrie Handloser Thompson

      Department of Hydrology and Water Resources

      The University of Arizona
      318A JW Harshbarger Building #11
      PO Box 210011
      Tucson AZ  85721-0011