Fwd: Can You Come? - Trip to the Navajo Nation the Last Week in March

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2013

      Tribal Environmental Education
      Institute for Tribal Env Prof
      Northern Arizona University

      From: Doug Vilsack <elephantenergy@...>
      Date: March 2, 2013, 10:56:55 AM MST
      To: Doug Vilsack <elephantenergy@...>
      Subject: Re: Can You Come? - Trip to the Navajo Nation the Last Week in March

      Hi All,

         I just wanted to follow-up on this one last time before starting to make concrete plans.  Please read below and fill out this doodle scheduling survey ASAP if you would like to come on this trip to the Navajo Nation between March 23rd - 31st : http://doodle.com/uvizbrx6n5qiri2n.  Also, please let me know if you can drive.

      Best,
      Doug

      On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Doug Vilsack <elephantenergy@...> wrote:
      Hello EE Team,

         As many of you know, we have been hard at work over the last few months implementing a grant from Grand Canyon Trust to provide access to solar lighting products to people living in the Bennett Freeze Area of the Navajo Nation.  One of the components of this grant involves installing 100+ small solar home systems on the homes of vulnerable elders that live in remote areas without access to electricity (see attached for some information about the recipients).  We have been working with Community Health Representatives and a local non-profit partner, Forgotten People, to provide a few initial lights to each home.  However, we now need to install the "larger" solar home systems (see the newer version of the system here: http://www.goalzero.com/yeti150/).

          While the installation isn't hard, it is time consuming (mostly because people want to chat!), so we need to assemble a good group of folks that are willing to come down to Tuba City, AZ to assist between Saturday, March 23rd - Sunday, March 31.  We don't expect folks to come down for the entire time, but at least 2-3 days would be great.  This is also a great opportunity to visit one of our project areas, and I highly suggest pairing this trip with a visit to the Grand Canyon (1 hr away), Monument Valley (on way), Moab (on way) or some other beautiful destination.  While a couple EE cars will be heading down for the duration, we can't pay for everybody's transportation costs as you come and go throughout the week, so your own wheels and a packed car to cover gas are are appreciated.  We will cover the cost of some campsites in Tuba City, which are next to a hotel that has showers + other facilities, though if you want a room in the hotel you will have to cover that.  March is a finicky time for weather in this area, so it could be in the 80s and sunny or in the 30-40s and cloudy.  Please plan accordingly, as EE can't be responsible for packing your warm clothes!

           If you are interested in participating, please fill out the doodle scheduling survey linked here, with all days that you will be available, including travel days to and from the Navajo Nation - it takes a full day to get to Tuba City (http://doodle.com/uvizbrx6n5qiri2n).  Also, please e-mail me if you have a car that you are willing to pack with people and drive to Tuba or have other questions.  Please respond by Friday this week at the latest (earlier is better) so that we can start to make concrete plans.  I hope everyone is enjoying the blizzard today here in Colorado.  Keep warm!

      Best,
      Doug

      --
      Elephant Energy