Fwd: Native students NAU Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26 6:53 PM

    ------ Forwarded Message
    From: Chun-Hsing Jun Ho <chun-hsing.ho@...>
    Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 05:20:17 +0000
    To: <CEFNS-CECMEENG-DEPT@...>
    Subject: NAU Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship

    All,

    I have recently received a grant support from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) University and Grants Program (U&GP) to operate a Dwight D. Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship (DDEPFP) program at NAU. The program provides funding for NAU American Native students and Hispanic students in the pursuit of a Degree (Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate) in transportation related fields at NAU. The DDEPFP program is currently accepting applications from students and their mentors for the 2013-2014 Academic year through April 1, 2013. The fellowship, if applicable will cover tuition fees (up to $10,000), a one-time travel support (up to $1,500), and monthly stipends.  Eisenhower Program Managers at the Federal Highway Administration will determine stipends based on the local cost of living figures and shall be calculated as follows:
    Monthly

          • Undergraduate Level                                     Up to $1,450
          • Masters Level                                                    Up to $1,700
          • Doctoral Level                                                   Up to $2,000

    All recipients may not receive a full award (i.e. tuition, stipend, and travel to the Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) in Washington D.C.) Recipient awards will be based on the ranking given and available funding and is subject to the review and approval by the Federal Highway Administration. Applications will be reviewed by an Evaluation Panel consisting of five transportation professionals from ADOT, City of Flagstaff, and local consulting firms. I will be serving as the Program Campus Manager to coordinate the review processes, oversee the operations of the Fellowship at NAU, and communicate with the FHWA U&GP.
    This is an excellent opportunity to allow our students to conduct a research project with their faculty advisor under a sponsorship by FHWA. In addition to undergraduate research activities, I believe this fellowship will promote our Master of Science program with funding opportunities from the FHWA to enable our faculty members to work with prospective students (seniors) towards their graduate degree. Students who are awarded a fellowship will be recognized at TRB and will be entitled as an Eisenhower Transportation Fellow that will polish their resume as they seek for a career. An information session for faculty and students has been scheduled for March 5th, 2013 from 11am-12pm in RM 321 located in Engineering Building (#69). I will be making a presentation for the Fellowship program. Please notify your students and encourage them to attend. If your 200, 300, and 400 level classes have current junior or senior students that you think they may be interested in the fellowship, please let me know of your class schedule, I will be happy to come to your class to make a 10 minute presentation  to introduce the program.
    To learn more about the program and/or how to apply, please refer to the attached application packet or go to the following link (thanks to John T.).
    https://cmswork.nau.edu/CEFNS/Engineering/Construction-Management/Dwight-D-Eisenhower-MIHE-Fellowship/

    I hope this program will add strength of our department as we look forward to a projected student increase.

    Best
    Jun

    Chun-Hsing (Jun) Ho, Ph.D.
    Assistant Professor
    Department of Civil Engineering, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering
    Northern Arizona University
    Box 15600
    Flagstaff AZ 86011
    chun-hsing.ho@...