GCC SciTech Festival -- Main Campus, Friday, Feb.22

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2013

      From: Keith Watt <keith.watt@...>
      Date: February 19, 2013, 4:24:26 PM MST
      To: <tchrs@...>
      Subject: [tchrs] GCC SciTech Festival -- Main Campus, Friday, Feb.22

      Hello all -

        I just wanted to remind everyone about our SciTech Festival event happening this Friday from 4-7 PM at Main campus.  You can get all of the information on our website:  http:\\www.gccaz.edu\SciTechFestival Don't miss your chance to get some one-on-one time with an astronaut as well as see all the great demos and activities we have prepared for your students.  This is a rare chance to have your students exposed to 8 different science and technology departments at the same event!  You can also get your City of Glendale "Passport to Science" stamped -- get your prize bag!

         Here are the details, all from the website.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

      Keith "Kilo" Watt, M.A., M.S.
      GCC Astronomy
      MCCCD Astronomy Instructional Council Chair

      Date: February 22, 2013
      Time: 4-7 PM
      Place: Life and Physical Sciences Plaza, GCC Main Campus

      Meet and Astronaut!

      Come meet a NASA Astronaut at GCC! Working in cooperation with NASA's Destination Station program, the GCC SciTech Festival will host NASA Space Station astronaut Clay Anderson for the first hour of the Festival. Chat with someone who has left our planet and get his unique perspective on our world! Don't miss an opportunity you'll never forget!

      NASA representatives will staff their booth throughout the Festival and will have fun activities and take-aways! Visit NASA's Destination Station page to learn more about our incredible International Space Station.

      Physics Wyld!

      Come get your Wyld on! The GCC Department of Physics will feature a number of events at the GCC SciTech Festival:

      Makin' Lightning: Physics Wyld will fire up the Van Der Graff generator with a event that will make your hair stand on end! You'll love this shocking experience!

      Phone Book Tug-o-War: As featured on Mythbusters! We will take two standard telephone books and interleave the pages together -- no glue or other adhesives. Can you put together a team that can pull them apart?

      Loop-the-Loop Target Gallery: Think you're a good shot? See if you can hit the target when the ball does a complete 360-degree vertical loop before launching!

      Fastest in the West: Do you think you're fast? Find out just how fast you are in this test of reaction time for all ages. Drop a ruler and catch it again as fast as you can -- try for the smallest drop possible. Do video games really improve reaction time?

      Turning the Tables: When an ice skater spins, she tucks her arms in to go faster and extends them to slow down. Make yourself turn by tilting a bicycle wheel? How does this work? Experience it for yourself! This event is definitely not for the weak of stomach -- you were warned!

      Lite Soda? Diet or regular soda, it's all the same, just without the calories, right? Not so fast! Come see a demonstration of how these two nearly-identical soft drinks aren't so identical after all.

      Chemical Madness!

      Come join the GCC Chemistry Department for exciting explosions, geysers of goo and and perhaps even a little glow-in-the-dark magic!

      Elephant Toothpaste: Does an elephant need toothpaste? If it did, it would have to be a lot, right? This exciting experiment creates a dramatic fountain of pasty goop, enough for a whole herd!

      Liquid Nitrogen: Freeze the air into a liquid! See how this amazingly cold liquid superfreezes anything it contacts. Don't touch!

      Whoosh Bottle: A roaring detonation and a fountain of flame - you won't want to miss this!

      Sugar Snake: It's just sugar, right? Wait 'til you see what happens when concentrated acid turns common sugar into a slimy, slippery, sinister serpent!

      Chemiluminescence: Fireflies have nothing on us! Once the sun goes down, we'll be making our own glow-in-the-dark fun!!

      Game Programming Contest

      Do you play computer games? Do you think you have what it takes to create a video game? Take the challenge and find out! In this competition, you have been tasked to create a simple tic-tac-toe computer game. The code has been written for you -- but it doesn't work! Your challenge is to fix the code and save the program. Get all the info on thecompetition from the contest home page: http://web.gccaz.edu/~gmarrer/scitech13/scitechpython.htm Are you game?

      Beginning in Februrary 2013, the GCC Astronomy Department will host public programs at the new Astronomy Observatory at GCC's North Campus. Come get a taste of the heavens at the GCC SciTech Festival on the Main Campus! The astronomy department will have telescopes available that will enable you to safely see sunspots and storms raging on the surface of the sun. Don't miss this rare opportunity to look at the Sun and its fury directly! Once you've seen the Sun, launch outward with a game of "Solar System Golf" -- walk through a scale model of the Solar System and try to get the best score in this fun target game. Great for kids and adults alike!

      Gold and Fossils!

      Pan for gold (is it real or is it fool's gold?) and make your own rubbing of an actual fossil -- it's yours to keep! The GCC Geology Department will show you everything you need to know to learn to pan for gold. Create your own ancient work of art that you can take home and display. Come see a miniature watershed on the stream table! The Geology Department also will have a number of fossils, crystals, and other geological wonders on display. Is that really dinosaur dung over there...?

      Visit the Biology and Life Sciences area for exciting demos and activities! The Biotechnology Lab on the third floor of the Life Sciences Building will be open for tours as well.

      Biology Triathlon: Come test your knowledge and your athletic abilities by competing in the GCC Science Triathlon. Teams of two will complete a course made up of three physical feats alternating with questions about science. Final score will be based on time and accuracy. Perfect for teams of all ages -- parent and child, two friends, two siblings, two teens, two adults -- questions will be age-appropriate. GCC Science Triathlete Certificates (with score) will be awarded to all finishers.

      DNA Extraction: You've read about in crime stories, watched in on CSI, and maybe even seen the results of it in your relatives. Now see it in person as the Biology Department extracts actual DNA during the festival!

      Critter Corner: Biology in the study of life in all its forms. Come see preserved specimens of animals of all types!

      How Green Are You? What impact do you personally have on the planet? Now you can find out! Visit the GCC Green Efforts station and measure your actual "carbon footprint" and see just how much carbon you produce. You may be surprised!