Fwd: [wmanuranium] REMINDER: February 15: grant opportunity!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2013

    Begin forwarded message:

    From: Aimee Boulanger <aboulanger@...>
    Subject: [wmanuranium] REMINDER: February 15: grant opportunity!
    Date: February 6, 2013 5:18:23 PM MST
    To: 'WMAN Uranium' <wmanuranium@...>, <wmangreatlakes@...>, <wmanyouth@...>, "'Indigenous Caucus'" <wmanindcaucus@...>, 'WMAN' <WMAN@...>, 'WMAN SW Caucus' <wmansouthwestcaucus@...>, 'WMAN SC' <wmansc@...>

    Hello WMAN participants,

    Please be aware that February 15 is our next deadline for applications to WMAN and the Indigenous Environmental Network?s Mining Mini-Grant Program. The updated application form is attached. I?ve also pasted the application requirements and guidelines into this message below. [Note: Normally our February deadline is February 1, and you?ll see that date mentioned in the information below; however, Simone and I have extended the deadline this time.]

    If you have any questions about the program or would like to discuss it further, please don?t hesitate to contact me or Simone Senogles at the Indigenous Environmental Network. My email and phone number are listed at the bottom of this message. Simone can be reached at (218) 751-4967, simone@....

    This is a very special program, offering small grants to communities impacted by mining for specific short-term projects. We feel very fortunate to have the resources to offer this program and are privileged to provide this support to worthy groups doing important work to protect the environment and their local communities.

    Here is more specific information:

    Indigenous Environmental Network (IEN)

    and

    Western Mining Action Network (WMAN)

     2012- 2013 Grassroots Communities Mining Mini-Grant Program

    The goal of the Mining Mini-grants Program is to support and enhance the capacity building efforts of mining-impacted communities in the U.S. and Canada to assure that mining projects do not adversely affect human, cultural, and the ecological health of communities.

    Applications accepted are accepted three times a year:  June 1, October 1, and February 1. Applicants will be notified of the funding decision within one month of the application deadline.

    There will be an ?emergency? fund for extremely time-sensitive projects that fall between grant cycles (i.e., needs that could not have been anticipated at the time of the last cycle and cannot wait to be addressed until the next cycle).  These grants will be very limited and awarded on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Mini-Grant Review Committee

    WMAN/IEN Grassroots Communities Mining Mini-grants program criteria:

    1)     Grassroots community-based organizations, and Tribes or Tribal programs in the U.S. and Canada with any budget level may apply. However, if there are more applicants than funds available, priority will be given to organizations with an organizational or mining-specific project budget under $75,000 U.S.. Priority will also be given to community-based grassroots groups affected by mining.

    2)     We prefer to make grants to organizations with a nonprofit 501(c)3 tax designation, or those working with a fiscal sponsor that has a 501(c)3, however this is not a requirement. We do not, however, write grant checks to individuals.

    3)     Requests must be project-specific for an immediate need such as legal assistance, organizing and outreach, development of campaign materials, media development, reports, travel, mailings, interns and consultants, etc. to be fulfilled within the next six months on a specific mining campaign.  Funds cannot be used for an organization?s general operating funds, staff salaries, rent or telephone bills.

    4)     Priority will be given to projects that build bridges and community across socio-economic and cultural lines.

    5)     Applicants may receive one grant per twelve month cycle. However, this limit does not apply to emergency grants.

    6)     Each grant issued will not exceed $3,000 U.S.

    7)     Funding recipients must submit a brief report detailing how funds were spent within 6 months of having received funding. Recipients will not be eligible for additional funding until the project has been completed and a project report, or an extension request, is received and accepted by WMAN and IEN.

    Any questions? We are happy to help.  Please contact either Aimee Boulanger, WMAN Network Coordinator at (360) 969-2028 ~ aboulanger@... or Simone Senogles, Indigenous Environmental Network, (218) 751-4967 ~ simone@....

    The application below can be emailed to either Aimee Boulanger or to Simone Senogles, or it can be sent by regular mail, postmarked by June 1, 2012, October 1, 2012 or February 1, 2013 respectively, to: IEN attn: Mining Mini-grants, PO Box 485, Bemidji, MN 56619If you are mailing the application, please call Simone or Aimee to let us know to expect it.  Thank you

    Aimee Boulanger, Network Coordinator

    Western Mining Action Network

    (360)969-2028

    aboulanger@...