REU announcement for distribution to Tribal College Network

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2013

    I am writing to share an exciting summer research opportunity for undergraduate students.  This summer at Georgia State University in Atlanta, we are pleased to host the second year of our “Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site: Addressing Social and Environmental Disparities through Community Geography and Geographic Information Systems”.  The project is funded by the National Science Foundation.  The program runs June 10th – July 25th 2013.   The flier and application form are attached.

    Research Interests: Working with faculty mentors in one of three research tracks, selected undergraduates will engage in community-based research and fieldwork to quantitatively and qualitatively examine neighborhood change, property markets, social geographies, air and soil quality, urban green spaces, and neighborhood visioning in partnership with neighborhood residents and community groups in Atlanta, Georgia.

    Compensation: Each REU student will receive a competitive funding package, including: a $3000 stipend, up to $250 in travel support to/from Atlanta, up to $750 for conference presentations, free room and most meals at GSU, and 3 required texts.

    Application Process: Applications are due Friday, March 1st @ 5 PM EST.  Complete application instructions and the application form can be found at http://csaw.gsu.edu/nsf-reu/application-instructions/

    To Learn More:  Visit http://csaw.gsu.edu/nsf-reu/

    Any questions can be directed to the Dr. Timothy Hawthorne (PI) at thawthorne@... or Dr. Katherine Hankins (Co-PI) at khankins@...

    Please feel free to share with interested students and your professional networks.

    --

    Timothy L. Hawthorne

    Assistant Professor of Geography
    Georgia State University Dept. of Geosciences
    Affiliated Faculty, Partnership for Urban Health Research

    Office: Sparks 350B

    Office #: 404.413.5771
    Atlanta, GA 30302