Galapagos Marine Ecology Class in Summer 2013 through the University of Arizona

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2013

      From: "Warder, Eleanor M - (warder)" <warder@...>
      Date: January 29, 2013, 10:06:57 AM MST
      To: "gen_bio_program@..." <gen_bio_program@...>, "ua-announce@..." <ua-announce@...>, "sameck12@..." <sameck12@...>
      Subject: [ua-announce] Galapagos Marine Ecology Class in Summer 2013 through the University of Arizona

      Galápagos Marine Ecology (University of Arizona ECOL 496O/596O, 6 units) is an opportunity for secondary school science teachers, other graduate students, and undergraduates to study in the Galápagos Islands, Ecuador.

      This 19-day summer field course begins on the Island of San Cristobal. We explore different habitats on land and sea, learning about the ecology and evolution of the unique animals and plants found only on the Galápagos. You learn firsthand why these islands are considered the birthplace of evolution and of Darwin's revolutionary idea. The experience includes a service project with the Galápagos National Park and/or a local school.

      After our time in San Cristobal, we travel by boat to Santa Cruz and Isabela and to an uninhabited island and discover how the different environments of each island have led to the evolution of different species. We have opportunities to snorkel with sea lions and sea turtles, see marine iguanas feeding under water, visit breeding colonies of nesting seabirds doing courtship displays and tending young, and hike the active volcano of Sierra Negra. The course consists of lectures, readings and discussions on topics including ecology, evolution and conservation as well as field ecology investigations conducted with other class members. We stay in hotels in towns on the islands and eat in local restaurants, providing an opportunity to meet the people of the Galápagos, to practice your Spanish, and to learn about life in a different country and culture. This course provides you with a new perspective on conservation, natural selection, evolution and field research that you can take back to your students and classroom.

      Course will be offered from July 11-29, 2013. For more information on the course, trip dates, our itinerary, and program costs, please see the course webpage: http://www.eebweb.arizona.edu/courses/galapagos/

      Applications should be made through the University of Arizona Study Abroad Program at: http://global.arizona.edu/study-abroad

      If you have questions about the application procedure contact, Jill Calderon at jcaldero@... or (520) 626-4931.

      If you have any questions about the course, you can contact Dr. Katrina Mangin, mangin@...  or Dr. Dave Gori, dgori@...