Pre-College Workshop For Native American Students

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2004
      AIGC/COLLEGE HORIZONS
      A Pre-College Workshop For Native American Students
      Co-sponsored by AIGC (American Indian Graduate Center) Winds of Change
      Magazine, Westmont College, Oberlin College, Harvard College and 33 of the
      nation’s finest colleges and universities

      JUNE 11-15, 2005 at Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA
      JUNE 18-22, 2005 at Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH
      JUNE 25–29, 2005 at Harvard College, Cambridge, MA

      College Horizons is a five-day “crash course” in preparing for college.
      Expert college counselors, teamed up with admission officers, will help you:

      • Select colleges suitable for you
      • Complete winning applications and write memorable essays
      • Learn what turns an applicant into an admitted student
      • Become a test-prep “whiz kid
      • Find your way through the financial aid/scholarship jungle

      Students will learn about a broad variety of colleges and universities and
      establish personal relationships with admission representatives and college
      counselors that will continue long after the program is over. Participants
      will be limited to 56 at each site and will be Native American (enrolled
      members only), Native Alaskan or Native Hawaiian current sophomores and
      juniors from throughout the U.S. Students will be selected by application: a
      minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. First round, priority receipt deadline is
      February 10; 2nd round receipt deadline is
      March 1. Applications will be accepted on a space-available basis to June 1
      (after March 1, please contact us to see which sites may still have spaces).
      Complete program cost is $100 (includes tuition, room, board and all
      materials). Substantial funds are available for travel and tuition assistance
      (each year we award travel assistance to over 50% of our students). Students
      may indicate preference for a site.
      Colleges and Universities represented: (1 - at Westmont, 2 - at Oberlin, 3 -
      at Harvard)
      Barnard College 1,3 Princeton University 2,3
      Brown University 1,2,3 Reed College 1
      Cal Tech 1,2 Rice University 1,3
      Carleton College 1,2,3 St. John’s College, Santa Fe 1,2
      Cornell University 1,2,3 St. Lawrence University 1,3
      Dartmouth College 1,2,3 Smith College 1,3
      Grinnell College 2 Stanford University 1,2,3
      Guilford College 2 Union College 3
      Harvard University 1,2,3 University of Denver 1
      Haverford College 3 University of Notre Dame 2
      Johns Hopkins University 3 University of Puget Sound 2
      Lawrence University 2 Washington University 1,2,3
      Macalester College 1,2,3 Wellesley College 3
      MIT 2,3 Westmont College 1,2,3
      National Institutes of Health 3 Whitman College 1,2,3
      Oberlin College 1,2, 3 Whittier College 1
      Occidental College 1 Yale University 1,2,3

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University Hanley Hall
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb