Fwd: Student research opportunity (Namibia)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012

    From: A. Auzenne [mailto:mauzenne@...]
    Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 8:46 AM

    Good morning,

    Please see the attached flyer and information below for a fabulous opportunity for our Native American students interesting in doing research in reptile ecology in an international setting.  Specifically, the project focused on the behavior and ecology of Namib Desert lizards.  The project is funded by the NSF International Research Experience for Students (IRES) program; the PI is a faculty member at Haskell Indian Nations University.  I encourage you to share this information with your students and faculty; thank you!

    Michele Auzenne

    Program Manager

    New Mexico AMP

    From: "deifler@..." <deifler@...>
    Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 20:16:52 -0600
    Subject: student research opportunity (Namibia)

    Dear LSAMP program directors,

    I hope you are all having productive and enjoyable semesters.  I am an ecologist based at Haskell Indian Nations University.  Much of my time is devoted to creating field-based research and training opportunities for Native American students.  This effort included several years where I directed a summer program in Costa Rica.  I am writing to ask for your assistance in helping inform students about a program that I have developed.

    I spent 2009/2010 in southern Africa (mostly Botswana with some time in Namibia) and really enjoyed my time down there.  When it came time to come back home, I decided to return and bringing students with me.  I have managed to secure funding to bring 4 students a year to Namibia, for the 3 years.  I am writing to ask you to help me identify a strong cohort of students for the second year of the program.

    Some details:

    1)    We will be in Namibia for 5 weeks during the Dec/Jan break, working out of a field station in the Namib desert

    2)    Pre-trip and post-trip activities will be done as a virtual lab group

    3)    Each student will be part of a small team working on some kind of reptile ecology project

    4)    Students will be teamed with undergraduates from Namibian universities

    5)    All travel, living, and research expenses are covered

    6)    $3500 stipend

    I would appreciate you assistance with getting this information to your member institutions.  Please share the attached flyer with your network of schools and students.

    Thanks!

    Doug Eifler

    Natural Resources

    Haskell Indian Nations University