USEPA Director Speaks Out

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 15, 2011

      Administrator Lisa P. Jackson, Remarks to the University of Wisconsin-Madison

      As prepared for delivery.

      Hello and thank you for having me here today. For an EPA Administrator, coming to Wisconsin is like coming back to the source of everything we do. It was the leadership of Gaylord Nelson and the people who supported him in this state that took a burgeoning environmental movement and translated it in the first Earth Day in 1970. And that led to the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency – as well as many other changes. After the 1969 National Environmental Policy Act, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Endangered Species Act, and the Toxic Substances Control Act were all passed in quick succession.

      That was amazing progress in a short amount of time. The Civil Rights movement had been a high-profile movement for almost two decades. The anti-war movement had also been going for years and would continue for many more years. By contrast, the modern environmental movement went from its Inauguration in the first Earth Day to a sweeping set of new environmental protections in about six years.

      People were energized at an unprecedented level. The teach-in that Gaylord Nelson proposed in 1969 resulted in 20 million people – one on every 10 Americans in those days – standing up for their health and their environment. My staff and I have been at this for almost three years and I just recently passed 13,000 Facebook fans – and I think that’s pretty good.

      That rapid pace of progress speaks to something that we need to remember today, and that I will talk about later: which is that environmental and health threats are unambiguous, nonpartisan concerns. They affect us whether we live in a red state or a blue state. Contrary to more divisive issues, people of all backgrounds want swift action when they see these threats in their communities. This movement got started when it became clear that the forces of the market were not going to be enough to stop Los Angeles from becoming the smog capital of the world, or prevent situations like the Santa Barbara oil spill and burning pollution the Cuyahoga River Fire.

      The American people demanded a new mechanism for preventing pollution. The EPA was created and a suite of environmental laws was passed so that government could set and enforce standards. That was a bipartisan effort. The EPA was created by Richard Nixon – as everyone knows, a Republican. Its first Administrator was a Republican, and many of the great advances that have happened over the years have happened with bipartisan support.

      When I came into this job in 2009, my ambition was – in the face of a new generation of environmental challenges – to facilitate advances like what we saw in the early 1970s. And to do so with the same kind of bipartisan support. I’m proud to be part of an EPA that has mobilized science and the law to create modern and innovative protections for the health of the American people. I’m also proud to be working for a president who has said that “we can’t wait” on these issues.

      We came into office during a historic economic crisis. It would have been easy to tell the EPA to sit and wait. But President Obama knows that the choice between our economy and our environment is a false choice – and he directed us to hit the ground running.

      One of our earliest steps was to resume work on the endangerment finding on greenhouse gases. This is the first administration to officially recognize that greenhouse gases pose a threat to our health and welfare, and to take action under the Clean Air Act to address that threat. We also took swift steps to institute national fuel economy standards that save drivers money and cut carbon pollution. President Obama called that “the single most important step we’ve ever taken as a nation to reduce our dependence on foreign oil.” It has also given clarity to the American auto industry, which can invest in the innovations – and workers – to build the most fuel-efficient vehicles in our history. Last year both Chrysler and General Motors announced plans to hire 1,000 workers – each – to develop fuel-efficient vehicles.

      We’ve also taken long overdue steps to limit mercury pollution from power plants; invested in water infrastructure and community cleanups; we’ve taken steps to support innovative products like biofuels that Great Lakes Bioenergy is working on, or the cutting edge water technology being developed not far from here in Milwaukee; and we’ve instituted historic efforts to protect America’s waters. That includes setting a new standard for care in the Great Lakes and ensuring a strong future for those vital waters.

      Unfortunately, many of these advances, as well as many of our fundamental environmental protections, are under threat. Since the beginning of this year, Republican leadership in the House of Representatives has orchestrated 170 votes against environmental protection. That is almost a vote for every day the chamber has been in session to undermine the Environmental Protection Agency and our nation's environmental laws. Much of this has happened in response to myths and misleading information.

      One example is an assertion made by lobbying and industry groups that the EPA is putting forward a “train wreck” of regulations that will hobble our economy. That claim has been repeated in major news outlets and on the floor of Congress. In fact, one of the bills restricting clean air protections was named “The TRAIN Act.” The claim is founded on an American Legislative Executive Council
      report that details regulations the EPA never actually proposed.

      You may have heard that EPA intends to triple its budget and add 230,000 new regulators to cut greenhouse gas emissions from sources like cows and backyard grills. In truth, we put forward a “Tailoring Rule” months ago – a commonsense plan to tailor greenhouse standards to exempt small sources, like local businesses, from regulations. A massive expansion was never a possibility – and the people citing the 230,000 figure know it. That number comes from an administration document explaining why the Tailoring Rule is necessary.

      To be fair to my colleagues in Washington, they’re not getting a whole lot of help. Some of you may have seen not long ago a Wall St. Journal op-ed, written by a long-time climate denier who performed a comprehensive study on the data he cast doubt on. After years of denial and skepticism, he looked at the data. His conclusion was, and I quote, “Global warming is real.” Contrary to the “climategate” scandal over emails from a handful of researchers – which was covered often on major news networks – the conversion of a key climate-denier, and the affirmation of the science got most of its attention in a short segment on The Daily Show.

      You begin to see why we are witnessing an unprecedented effort to rollback the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and our nation's waste-disposal laws; to see why, less than three years after a coal ash spill that covered 300 acres of Tennessee country the House majority passed legislation preventing EPA from regulating coal ash. You see why, less than two years after the Deepwater Horizon BP spill, the best idea industry groups like the American Petroleum Institute have for creating jobs is to de-regulate drilling. And you see how, after the second-hottest summer on record, followed by a foot of late-October snow on the East Coast and the reversal of a leading climate skeptic, people are still working to stop the EPA from taking vital steps to cut carbon pollution.

      We all remember "too big to fail"; this pseudo jobs plan to protect polluters might well be called "too dirty to fail." How we respond will mean the difference between sickness and health — in some cases, life and death — for hundreds of thousands of people. That is not hyperbole. Mercury is a neurotoxin that affects brain development in unborn children and young people. Lead has similar effects. Nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds contribute to the ozone alert days when seniors, asthmatics and people with respiratory problems are at serious risk if they do nothing more dangerous than step outside and breathe the air.

      “Too dirty to fail” puts our nation into what President Obama calls a “race to the bottom” for the weakest health protections and the most loopholes in our environmental policies. For those of you born after 1970, it would be the first time in your lives that the health and environmental protections you grew up with are not steadily improved, but deliberately weakened. The result will be more asthma, more respiratory illness and more premature deaths. What there won’t be is any clear path to new jobs.

      We have seen 200 percent growth in our GDP over the 40 years of EPA’s existence. After all that time and all that growth, it is clear that we can have a clean environment and a growing economy. No credible economist links our current economic crisis – or any economic crisis – to clean-air and clean-water standards. Just last week, a study by the National Bureau of Economic Research demonstrated that when ozone in the air was reduced by 10 parts per billion, outdoor farm workers increased their productivity by 4.2 percent. That kind of reduction nationwide could mean $1.1 billion in economic benefits for the agricultural sector of our economy.

      A story in the Washington Post yesterday quoted economists who said that the effect of government regulations on jobs is minimal. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics data that is collected from business executives, only 0.3 percent of layoffs in 2010 were because of “government regulations/intervention.” That story even quoted the chief executive of American Electric Power Co – one of the largest coal-based utilities in the nation – saying that when regulations require pollution control technology, AEP has to hire plumbers, electricians and others. His words were, “Jobs are created in the process – no question about that.” An AEP plant in Conesville, Ohio employed 1,000 temporary workers installing pollution controls, and created 40 permanent jobs to operate and maintain that technology.

      As for the notion that eliminating regulation equals a plan for job creation, a former economist from the Reagan White House recently said of that idea – and I quote – “It's just nonsense. It's just made up.” A strategy to grow our economy by simply doing less is not sufficient to the challenges we face. President Obama has directed federal agencies to review regulations to eliminate unnecessary burdens for businesses and ensure that vital health protections remain intact. But that is not the beginning and end of our plan. The President also sent the American Jobs Act to congress, proposing investments in teachers and first responders. That bill also contains provisions for an Infrastructure Bank that would put $10 billion into transportation, energy and water infrastructure – creating jobs that strengthen the foundations of our economy.

      We also know that smart regulations can lead to new jobs. As the CEO of AEP indicated in the Washington Post, we can put Americans to work retrofitting outdated, dirty plants with updated pollution control technology. There are about 1,100 coal-fired units across the country, and more than 40 percent do not use pollution controls to limit emissions. The nation's first-ever standards for mercury and other pollutants from power plants – that EPA will finalize no later than December 16 – are estimated to create 31,000 short-term construction jobs and 9,000 long-term jobs through modernizing power plants. Those jobs come with health benefits estimated as high as $140 billion per year by 2016.

      Looking back 20 years after the first Earth Day, Gaylord Nelson wrote in a letter to The Wilderness Society that, quote, “The purpose of Earth Day was to get a nationwide demonstration of concern for the environment so large that it would shake the political establishment out of its lethargy and, finally, force this issue permanently into the political arena.”

      Today we need that same nationwide concern mobilized to pull these issues out of the political gridlock of the day. We saw a glimmer of hope last week when the Senate overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to stop EPA from implementing a rule that will protect more than 200 million Americans. They affirmed that protecting health is nonpartisan – something that unites us across our divisions.

      But there are still two visions competing right now for the future of our environment and our economy. One says that we can rely on science, the law and innovation to protect our health and the environment and grow a clean, sustainable economy. The alternative vision says that moving forward requires rolling back standards for clean air and clean water. It says we have to increase protection for big polluters while reducing safeguards for the rest of us.
      After 40 years of progress, the American people still believe in the first vision. A majority of Americans believe the economic and health benefits of clean air rules outweigh costs. More than half of Republican voters recently said they oppose a Congressional proposal to stop the EPA from enacting new limits on air pollution from power plants. More than three-quarters of Americans support new EPA standards for mercury and air toxics.

      Just like back in 1970, we need your help. Students, parents, educators and young people have always driven the environmental movement. You can once again answer those who claim that our success is served by eliminating longstanding health protections and turning our future over to big polluters. It is time to stop politicizing our air and water and put an end to “Too Dirty to Fail.” We are going to continue to count on talented, dedicated people from places like this University to be part of that effort. Thank you very much.

      R336

      Note: If a link above doesn't work, please copy and paste the URL into a browser.

      View all news releases related to miscellaneous topics

      Message 2
      From: U.S. EPA <usaepa@...>
      Date: Nov, Tue 15 2011 15:36 -0500 (EST)
      Subject: Trash and Recycling News Release (HQ):

      CONTACT:
      Stacy Kika
      kika.stacy@...

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 15, 2011

      EPA Highlights Recycling Efforts on America Recycles Day

      WASHINGTON
      – Today, November 15th, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) commemorates the 14th annual America Recycles Day by recognizing the progress made in recycling our country’s waste and the work yet to be done. EPA estimates that Americans generated 250 million tons of municipal waste in 2010, of which approximately 34 percent was recycled or composted. While this represents progress, it also shows that there is great opportunity for our nation to better manage natural resources that are too often disposed of in landfills. Recycling and other sustainable management practices protect our environment and strengthen our economy.

      “Conserving our natural resources is a critical part of ensuring a strong economic and environmental future,” said Mathy Stanislaus, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response. “A sustainable approach to managing materials will maximize the use, reuse and recycling of valuable resources, providing both environmental and economic benefits.”

      The U.S. disposes enough trash each day to fill 50,000 garbage trucks with 18,000 pounds of trash in each. By reducing, reusing, and recycling, the U.S. can put resources back into productive use, rather than disposing of them. Recycling just one cell phone saves enough energy to power a laptop for 44 hours. Recycling is not the only avenue, adopting sustainable materials management practices can also help minimize waste and help our country conserve energy.

      Sustainable materials management examines the life cycle of materials and products to identify opportunities to consume fewer natural resources, decrease the waste going to landfills, and create economic opportunities. There are a wide variety of sustainable materials management practices, including designing products that use fewer toxic constituents, reusing products, composting organic materials and recycling.

      EPA and other federal agencies are not only encouraging Americans to adopt sustainable materials management practices, the federal government is leading by example. In July, a federal task force led by EPA, CEQ and GSA released a National Strategy for Electronics Stewardship – a strategy for the responsible electronic design, purchasing, management and recycling that will promote the burgeoning electronics recycling market and jobs of the future here at home. Additionally, through the Federal Green Challenge, EPA has challenged other federal agencies to reduce their own environmental impact through more sustainable practices by pledging a reduction goal of at least 5 percent per year in two of six focus areas: waste, electronics, purchasing, energy, water and transportation.

      This America Recycles Day take the opportunity to learn more about how you can help protect the environment and conserve natural resources.

      More information on America Recycles Day: http://www.epa.gov/waste/conserve/rrr/ard.htm

      More information on EPA’s 2010 Municipal Solid Waste Report:
      http://www.epa.gov/wastes/nonhaz/municipal/msw99.htm

      More information about the Federal Green Challenge: http://www.epa.gov/fgc/

      R337

      Note: If a link above doesn't work, please copy and paste the URL into a browser.

      View all news releases related to trash and recycling

      Message 3
      From: U.S. EPA <usaepa@...>
      Date: Nov, Wed 16 2011 12:59 -0500 (EST)
      Subject: News Release: We Can’t Wait: Obama Administration Proposes Historic Fuel Economy Standards to Reduce Dependence on Oil, Save Consumers Money at the Pump

      CONTACTS:

      Enesta Jones

      jones.enesta@...

      202.564.7873

      202.564.4355

      Cathy Milbourn

      milbourn.cathy@...

      202.564.4355

      202.564.7849

      Lynda Tran

      lynda.tran@...

      202.366-9550

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 16, 2011

      We Can’t Wait: Obama Administration Proposes Historic Fuel Economy Standards to Reduce Dependence on Oil, Save Consumers Money at the Pump

      Next phase in national program for light-duty vehicles will save consumers thousands of dollars at the pump while saving billions of barrels of oil, curbing pollution, enabling long-term planning for automakers

      WASHINGTON – Building on President Obama’s historic national program, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) today formally unveiled their joint proposal to set stronger fuel economy and greenhouse gas pollution standards for model year 2017-2025 passenger cars and light trucks. Cars, SUVs, minivans, and pickup trucks are currently responsible for nearly 60 percent of U.S. transportation-related petroleum use and greenhouse gas emissions.

      Today’s announcement is the latest in a series of executive actions the Obama Administration is taking to strengthen the economy and move the country forward because we can’t wait for Congressional Republicans to act.  When combined with other historic steps this administration has taken to increase energy efficiency, this proposal will save Americans over $1.7 trillion at the pump, nearly $8,000 per vehicle by 2025. These combined actions also will reduce America’s dependence on oil by an estimated 12 billion barrels, and, by 2025, reduce oil consumption by 2.2 million barrels per day – enough to offset almost a quarter of the current level of our foreign oil imports. Taken together, these actions will also slash 6 billion metric tons in greenhouse gas emissions over the life of the programs.

      Today’s proposed standards alone will slash oil consumption by 4 billion barrels and cut 2 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas pollution over the lifetimes of the vehicles sold in those years.

      “These unprecedented standards are a remarkable leap forward in improving fuel efficiency, strengthening national security by reducing our dependence on oil, and protecting our climate for generations to come. We expect this program will not only save consumers money, it will ensure automakers have the regulatory certainty they need to make key decisions that create jobs and invest in the future,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. “We are pleased that we’ve been able to work with the auto industry, the states, and leaders in the environmental and labor communities to move toward even tougher standards for the second phase of the president’s national program to improve fuel economy and reduce pollution.”

      "By setting a course for steady improvements in fuel economy over the long term, the Obama Administration is ensuring that American car buyers have their choice of the most efficient vehicles ever produced in our country. That will save them money, reduce our nation's oil consumption and cut harmful emissions in the air we breathe," said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. "This is an important addition to the landmark clean cars program that President Obama initiated to establish fuel economy standards more than two years ago. The progress we made with the help of the auto industry, the environmental community, consumer groups and others will be expanded upon in the years to come -- benefitting the health, the environment and the economy for the American people."

      The proposed program for model year 2017-2025 passenger cars and trucks is expected to require increases in fuel efficiency equivalent to 54.5 mpg if all reductions were made through fuel economy improvements. These improvements would save consumers an average of up to $6,600 in fuel costs over the lifetime of a model year 2025 vehicle for a net lifetime savings of $4,400 after factoring in related increases in vehicle cost. Overall, the net benefit to society from this rule would total more than $420 billion over the lifetime of the vehicles sold in model year 2017-2025.

      Today’s action builds on the success of the first phase of the Obama Administration’s national program(2012-2016), which will raise fuel efficiency equivalent to 35.5 mpg by 2016 and result in an average light vehicle tailpipe CO2 level of 250 grams per mile. These standards are already in effect and saving consumers money at the pump now. Combined with 2011 fuel economy standards and the standards in effect for 2012-2016, today’s proposal represents the most significant federal action ever taken to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve fuel economy.   Taken together, these actions would reduce greenhouse gas emissions by half and result in model year 2025 light-duty vehicles with nearly double the fuel economy of model year 2010 vehicles.

      The national policy on fuel economy standards and greenhouse gas emissions created by DOT and EPA provides regulatory certainty and flexibility that reduces the cost of compliance for auto manufacturers while reducing oil consumption and harmful air pollution. By continuing the national program developed for model year 2012-2016 vehicles, EPA and DOT have designed a proposal that allows manufacturers to keep producing a single, national fleet of passenger cars and light trucks that satisfies all federal and California standards. It also ensures that consumers will continue to enjoy a full range of vehicle choices with performance, utility and safety features that meet their individual needs.

      The standards will rely on innovative technologies that are expected to spur economic growth and create high-quality jobs across the country. Major auto manufacturers are already heavily invested in developing advanced technologies that can significantly reduce fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions beyond the existing model year 2012-2016 standards. In addition, a wide range of technologies are currently available for automakers to meet the new standards, including advanced gasoline engines and transmissions, vehicle weight reduction, lower tire rolling resistance, improvements in aerodynamics, diesel engines, more efficient accessories, and improvements in air conditioning systems. The standards should also spur manufacturers to increasingly explore electric technologies such as start/stop, hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles. The model year 2017-2025 proposal includes a number of incentive programs to encourage early adoption and introduction of “game changing” advanced technologies, such as hybridization for pickup trucks.

      The proposal released today follows President Obama’s announcement in July that the administration and 13 major automakers representing more than 90 percent of all vehicles sold in the U.S. have agreed to build on the first phase of the national vehicle program. EPA and DOT worked closely with a broad range of stakeholders to develop the proposal—including manufacturers, the United Auto Workers, the State of California, and consumer and environmental groups.

      There will be an opportunity for the public to comment on the proposal for 60 days after it is published in the Federal Register. In addition, DOT and EPA plan to hold several public hearings around the country to allow further public input. California plans to issue its proposal for model year 2017-2025 vehicle greenhouse gas standards on December 7 and will finalize its standards in January.

      More on the NHTSA and EPA’s notice of proposed rulemaking: http://www.nhtsa.gov/fuel-economy

      More information: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/climate/regulations.htm

      R339

      Message 4
      From: U.S. EPA <usaepa@...>
      Date: Nov, Wed 16 2011 13:21 -0500 (EST)
      Subject: News Release: TODAY: We Can’t Wait: Transportation Secretary LaHood and EPA Administrator Jackson to Discuss Historic Proposed Fuel Economy Standards

      CONTACTS:
      Enesta Jones
      jones.enesta@...

      Cathy Milbourn
      milbourn.cathy@...

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 16, 2011

      TODAY: We Can’t Wait: Transportation Secretary LaHood and EPA Administrator Jackson to Discuss Historic Proposed Fuel Economy Standards

      National program for light duty vehicles will save consumers $1.7 trillion at the pump, $8,000 per vehicle by 2025

      WASHINGTON: U.S. Transportation (USDOT) Secretary Ray LaHood and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Lisa P. Jackson will hold a telephone press briefing at 2:30 p.m. EDT, today, Wednesday, November 16, to discuss the next phase in the Obama Administration’s national program to improve fuel economy and curb pollution. The proposal issued by USDOT and EPA today will set stronger fuel efficiency and greenhouse gas pollution standards for model year 2017-2025 passenger cars and light trucks.

      When combined with other historic steps this administration has taken to increase energy efficiency, today’s announcement will save Americans more than $1.7 trillion at the pump and an average of more than $8,000 per vehicle by 2025; reduce America’s dependence on oil by an estimated 12 billion barrels and reduce oil consumption by 2.2 million barrels per day by 2025 (enough to offset almost a quarter of the current level of our foreign oil imports); and slash 6 billion metric tons in greenhouse gas emissions over the life of the programs.

      WHO:   U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood
                  U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson
                  National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Deputy Administrator Ronald Medford
                  U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Assistant Administrator Gina McCarthy

      WHAT:  Telephone Press Briefing on Proposed Fuel Economy and Pollution Reduction Standards for model years 2017-2025 Light Vehicles

      WHEN: 2:30 p.m. EDT, Wednesday, November 16, 2011

      HOW: To participate, members of the news media should use the following dial-in information:
      Call in number: 888-539-8821 and provide the conference ID # 28779254

      R340

      Message 5
      From: U.S. EPA <usaepa@...>
      Date: Nov, Wed 16 2011 13:30 -0500 (EST)
      Subject: Partnerships and Stewardship News Release (HQ): EPA Honors 19 Organizations for Leadership in Clean Energy

      CONTACT:
      Molly Hooven
      Hooven.Molly@...

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 16, 2011

      EPA Honors 19 Organizations for Leadership in Clean Energy

      WASHINGTON –
      Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) presented the 11th annual Green Power Leadership Awards to 19 EPA Green Power Partners across the country. Winning partners range from iconic commercial buildings and Fortune 500 companies to local governments and higher education institutions. Through the use of clean, renewable energy sources, partners are increasing our country’s energy security, reducing harmful pollution and helping protect people’s health and the environment. EPA's Green Power Partnership is a voluntary program helping to increase the use of electricity generated from renewable resources among leading U.S. organizations.

      “EPA’s Green Power Leadership Award winners are at the forefront of our economy, driving the development of innovative, renewable energy sources and demonstrating that green power makes as much sense for our health and our environment as it does for our business' bottom lines,” said Gina McCarthy, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation. “We applaud their efforts to cut pollution and advance the market for green energy, one of the most important frontiers of our economic future. We hope that they will be an example for other organizations.”

      The 2011 Green Power Leadership Award winners include:

      Green Power Partner of the Year:
      Empire State Building, Google Inc., Intel Corporation, Kohl’s Department Stores, and Staples
      Green Power Community of the Year:
      Portland, Ore. and Washington, D.C.
      Green Power Purchasing:
      Adobe Systems Inc., Allegheny College, Datapipe, Inc., Franklin & Marshall College, Jackson Family Wines, Mercyhurst College, MetLife, Santa Clara University, State Street Corporation, and the University of Central Oklahoma
      On-site Generation:
      City of San Francisco and SC Johnson & Son

      The City of San Francisco, Intel Corporation, Kohl’s Department Stores, and Staples are all previous winners of EPA's Green Power Leadership Award. Washington, D.C. also won EPA’s 2010-11 Green Power Community Challenge title for using the greatest amount of green power annually.

      EPA presents the Green Power Leadership Awards in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Energy and the non-profit Center for Resource Solutions. Awards will be presented today at the Renewable Energy Markets Conference in San Francisco.

      EPA, through the Green Power Partnership, works with close to 1,300 partner organizations to reduce the environmental impacts of conventional electricity use. Partners voluntarily are using more than 21 billion kilowatt-hours (kWh) of green power annually, equal to avoiding annual carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from the electricity used by more than 1.8 million average American homes. Green power is electricity generated from renewable resources such as solar, wind, geothermal, biogas, and low-impact hydro and produces no net increase of greenhouse gas emissions.

      More information on the Green Power Leadership Awards: www.epa.gov/greenpower/awards
      More information on the Green Power Partnership: www.epa.gov/greenpower

      R342

      Message 6
      From: U.S. EPA <usaepa@...>
      Date: Nov, Wed 16 2011 14:32 -0500 (EST)
      Subject: News Release: DOE and EPA Release 2012 Annual Fuel Economy Guide

      CONTACTS:
      Enesta Jones (News Media Only)
      jones.enesta@...

      Cathy Milbourn (News Media Only)
      milbourn.cathy@...
      202.564-7849
      202-564-4355

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 16, 2011

      DOE and EPA Release 2012 Annual Fuel Economy Guide

      WASHINGTON – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Energy (DOE) are releasing the 2012 Fuel Economy Guide, providing consumers with information that can help them choose a more efficient new vehicle that saves them money and reduces greenhouse gas emissions. While fuel efficient vehicles come in a variety of fuel types, classes, and sizes, many new advanced technology vehicles debut on this year’s annual list of top fuel economy performers. Fuel economy leaders within each vehicle category – from two-seaters to large SUVs – include widely available products such as conventional gasoline models and clean diesels.

      Some 2012 models will be displaying a new fuel economy and environment label that provides consumers with more comprehensive fuel efficiency information, including five-year fuel costs or savings compared to the average vehicle, as well as new greenhouse gas and smog ratings. These labels are actually required in model year 2013, but automakers may voluntarily adopt the new labels in model year 2012.

      Each vehicle listing in the guide provides an estimated annual fuel cost. The estimate is calculated based on the vehicle’s miles per gallon (mpg) rating and national estimates for annual mileage and fuel prices. The online version of the guide allows consumers to input their local gasoline prices and typical driving habits to receive a personalized fuel cost estimate.

      Printed editions of the guide are coming to dealer showrooms. EPA and DOE will provide online updates of fuel economy information as more 2012 vehicles become available.

      More information and a complete version of the guide: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and at fueleconomy.gov/m for mobile devices.

      View the 2012 fuel economy leaders within each class and the lowest fuel economy models: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/basicinformation.htm

      More information about the new label: http://www.epa.gov/carlabel/

      R341

      Message 7
      From: U.S. EPA <usaepa@...>
      Date: Nov, Thu 17 2011 12:01 -0500 (EST)
      Subject: Air News Release (HQ): EPA Releases Guidelines to Ensure Healthy Indoor Air during Home Energy Upgrades

      CONTACT:
      Molly Hooven
      hooven.molly@...

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 17, 2011

      EPA Releases Guidelines to Ensure Healthy Indoor Air during Home Energy Upgrades

      New protocols protect indoor air quality while enhancing home energy efficiency

      WASHINGTON
      The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released its Healthy Indoor Environment Protocols for Home Energy Upgrades to better integrate health protections into energy efficiency programs. This first-of-its-kind guidance will provide the home energy industry the ability to identify, manage, and reduce health risks during home energy upgrades, retrofits or remodeling.

      "These protocols will help the home energy retrofit industry deliver high quality work while protecting the health of families," said Gina McCarthy, EPA Assistant Administrator for the Office of Air and Radiation. "Homeowners, occupants, and the energy services industry will benefit greatly from this simple and clear guidance for addressing critical indoor air quality risks during home energy upgrades. Following these protocols will help families save money on utilities while safeguarding their health.”

      EPA’s new protocols describe a step-by-step process for conducting assessments to evaluate indoor air conditions and the potential for risks that may arise during residential energy upgrades. The protocols include recommended minimum specifications and best practices to maintain or improve indoor air quality.

      The protocols serve as a companion document to the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) guidelines for Home Energy Professionals. The DOE guidelines are intended to foster the growth of a skilled work force that will increase the homeowner’s confidence in the retrofit industry and increase the demand for home energy retrofits. Together, the DOE guidelines and EPA protocols will help facilitate increased home energy efficiency, improve the quality of work performed and provide healthier homes for America.

      By working with the home energy upgrade industry, other federal agencies, industry standard organizations, and state and local programs to implement these protocols, EPA and its partners will help improve indoor air quality and energy efficiency in homes around the country. The protocols were announced today at the Weatherization Plus Health Regional Conference in San Diego, Calif.

      U.S. Department of Energy’s Guidelines for Home Energy Professionals:
      http://www1.eere.energy.gov/wip/retrofit_guidelines.html
      EPA's Healthy Indoor Environment Protocols for Home Energy Upgrades: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/homes/retrofits.html

      R343

      Note: If a link above doesn't work, please copy and paste the URL into a browser.

      View all news releases related to air issues

      Message 8
      From: U.S. EPA <usaepa@...>
      Date: Nov, Fri 18 2011 15:31 -0500 (EST)
      Subject: Compliance and Enforcement News Release (HQ): Columbus Steel Castings to Pay $825,000 and Install Monitoring Equipment as Sentence for Violating Clean Air Act

      CONTACT:
      Stacy Kika
      Kika.stacy@...

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 18, 2011

      Columbus Steel Castings to Pay $825,000 and Install Monitoring Equipment as Sentence for Violating Clean Air Act

      WASHINGTON –
      Columbus Steel Castings Company, Inc., located on the south side of Columbus, Ohio, was sentenced today to pay $825,000 and install additional devices to prevent air pollution after pleading guilty on July 28, 2011 to six counts of violating the Clean Air Act. The violations include failing to operate air pollution controls, failing to report violations, failing to perform required monitoring, and failing to conduct stack testing to demonstrate compliance with the Clean Air Act.

      “EPA is committed to protecting communities from illegal air pollution that threatens people’s health,” said Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. “Today’s sentence will benefit the local community and shows that companies that fail to operate the necessary air pollution controls will be held accountable.”

      “This sentence helps safeguard against further violations,” U.S. Attorney Carter M. Stewart said. “It also provides for environmental education and health care services for residents who live near the plant.”

      The company admitted that between 2004 and 2007 it failed to operate air pollution controls for four different emission sources at the plant for varying periods of time. The company also failed to report malfunctions of air pollution control equipment. Daily visual emission checks, designed to determine if the plant was emitting excess dust or smoke, were not conducted on weekends while the facility was operating. Stack tests, which are necessary to ensure compliance with the Clean Air Act, were not conducted as required by the company’s air permit. The company also failed to submit accurate annual compliance certifications.

      The company was sentenced to pay a $660,000 fine and a total of $165,000 to two different Columbus charitable organizations, Grange Insurance Audubon Center and Physicians Free Clinic, which serve residents who live near the pl

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)