Summer Job

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2009
      Opportunity for summer work near Santa Fe, NM:

      The watershed job will consist mainly of bird counts, nest monitoring, and veg surveys. The main thing I'm concerned about is hiking ability. I want someone who can move quickly in the mountains without any trails. All the bird counts have to be done by 10 AM, so the faster we can move, the later we get to sleep. The only other thing that's really important is the ability to learn a bunch of bird calls - about a hundred. It's a little daunting at first for everyone, but sharp ES students should be able to manage fairly quickly. I'll send out a CD to listen to before the season starts. Experience with birds would be great, but is certainly not necessary. Also, there will only be three people for the summer, so someone that is easy to hang out with is kind of a must. We'll be spending lots of time together. The job should start sometime around the 11th of May, but that could be changed if school is still going.

      That should be about it for the work. The job is great. The Santa Fe watershed is beautiful and closed to the public, so we will just be walking around alone in the woods listening to birds all summer. Plus, Santa Fe isn't such a bad place to hang out. The whole area is really nice and it has a great brewery. We will probably be camping for the duration, but renting a place isn't out of the question. We would be paying for it though - a campsite is the best housing that could be arranged through the forest service. I'm still not sure what the pay would be, but around $10/ hr is my best guess for undergrads.

      Anyone who's interested or who has any questions can drop me an email (jcploss@...<mailto:jcploss@...>) or, since time is so pressing, give me a call at 575-312-3359. The official deadline for this is this Monday, but we might be able to push it back a little bit. The sooner the better though.

      Thanks,
      Jason Ploss