Fwd: Audubon NM Summer Internships Available

  • Mansel Nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2009

      Sent from my iPod

      Mansel A Nelson
      EEOP

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "STRANG, Dana" <dstrang@...>
      Date: January 28, 2009 11:43:45 AM GMT-07:00
      To: "EcoEd List Serve (ecoed@...)" <ecoed@...>
      Subject: Audubon NM Summer Internships Available

      䄀搀漀戀攀 匀礀猀琀攀洀猀

      Summer 2009 Internships at the Randall Davey Audubon Center (RDAC):
      Our education staff relies heavily on Interns and Volunteers to conduct our programs.  Interns are college students or recent graduates who are interested in pursuing a career in education or science.  RDAC offers approximately 10 week internships to individuals seeking professional experience in environmental education.  Each intern receives training in a wide variety of education programs, the operations and activities of a nature center and non-profit organization, principles of environmental interpretation, art and historic interpretation and natural history of New Mexico.  Interns will work directly with the education staff carrying out responsibilities necessary to meet RDAC’s objectives.

      Duties of RDAC Summer Interns:
      During the summer, interns primarily assist with the teaching of our popular 8-10 week summer day camp programs at RDAC, up to 6 hours per day.  Interns assist in curriculum development of camp programs, preparation for activities, and overall implementation of the camp programs.  Day camp programs are conducted at RDAC, adjoining properties and students range in age from Post Kindergarten to 11 years of age.

      All of Audubon’s Summer Day Camps are filled with science investigation, nature exploration, creative arts, stories, hiking and hands-on learning.  A variety of themes are offered throughout the summer and activities are adapted for each age group.  Duties may include family nights and an overnight camp experience.

      In addition to teaching responsibilities, intern duties range on a daily basis from curriculum development, creating interpretive displays, facility up-keep, orientation for visitors, clerical duties, and assistance to our RDAC staff.  All intern responsibilities will emphasize RDAC’s mission while participating in a team atmosphere.  Constituents of RDAC may include, but are not limited to, students, educators, RDAC visitors, renters of the facility, special events participants, and RDAC staff.

      Summer Intern Qualifications:
      Anyone with a minimum of two years of college-level study may apply. Academic training in natural resources, natural sciences (geology, biology), environmental science, education, recreation, or related field, is strongly desired. Preference will be given to candidates with some natural history background and a demonstrated interest in environmental education. Must be able flexible and able to lead groups in an outdoor setting including hiking at a high elevation, and have willingness to do a wide variety of administrative duties. Spanish language skills are highly desired.

      Summer Intern Compensation:
      Seasonal internships are approximately 10 weeks in duration and for summer 2009 are tentatively scheduled to begin June 1and end August 7, 2009.  Interns receive an hourly wage of $9.92 per hour, 30 hours per week for this 10 week period with the potential for shared housing, on site.  If housing is available on site, interns live in a quaint historic casita that is fully furnished and accommodates tow people in a dorm like setting.  Living on site also includes morning and evening responsibilities such as opening and closing the facility gate based on RDAC’s daily schedule of operations.  Authorization for a background check and satisfactory results are necessary if hired.

      To Apply:
      Please fill out the Intern application for our summer internships and send it with a cover letter, resume and three references to the RDAC Education Department, P.O. Box 9314 Santa Fe, N.M. 87504 or email dstrang@....  Positions are open until filled so apply early!

      Audubon promotes a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the National Audubon Society to employ the person best qualified for the job regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability (handicap) or marital status.

      Background of the RDAC:
      Founded in 1983, the RDAC is a non-profit education center and wildlife sanctuary and the New Mexico State Office of the National Audubon Society. Audubon New Mexico’s mission mirrors that of the National Audubon Society on a statewide basis: to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the earth’s biological diversity. At the RDAC, we connect and engage children and adults with nature so that they will better understand and enjoy the world around them, while developing skills to become active stewards of the planet. Audubon staff members and volunteers offer educational enrichment opportunities to a diverse range of New Mexican communities and neighborhoods.

      Dana Vackar Strang
      Environmental Education Manager
      Audubon
      New Mexico
      Randall Davey Audubon Center
      P.O. Box 9314
      Santa Fe, NM 87504
      Phone:  (505) 983-4609, ext 26

      Fax:  (505)983-2355
      dstrang@...

      http://nm.audubon.org

      The Randall Davey Audubon Center - Celebrating 26 Years of Conservation & Environmental Education.

      P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.