NAU biodiversity center opens

  • Mansel Nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2008
      You are invited to the opening celebration of the new

      Colorado Plateau Biodiversity Center!

      When: Tuesday, Aug. 19th at 11:30 a.m.

      Where: NAU Laboratory Sciences Building (building #17) on north campus.

      Northern Arizona University and the Arizona Board of Regents have established
      a new center that will focus on biodiversity teaching and research. The new
      Colorado Plateau Biodiversity Center (CPBC) is already conducting research on
      the biodiversity of the Colorado Plateau with over $1.7 million in research
      funding.

      "It is critical that we accelerate our efforts to document biodiversity and
      better understand how to mitigate against global change impacts," said Neil
      Cobb, CPBC Curator and NAU assistant research professor. "The establishment of
      the center is a major step forward to promote research and education efforts
      to understand global change impacts on species and provide solutions to
      preserve biodiversity."

      The CPBC currently has collections of over 400,000 specimens that originated
      from NAU teaching and research in the Departments of Biological Sciences,
      Geology, Environmental Sciences, and the School of Forestry since the 1920’s.
      These collections include fossils, fungi, plants, insects, fish, amphibians,
      reptiles, birds, and mammals, as well as DNA and tissue-based genetic
      libraries.

      “Genetic analysis and DNA archives are giving us new insights into how
      ecosystems function and change over time,” said CPBC Director, Stefan Sommer.
      “Understanding ecosystems is important because, after all, they are our life
      support systems on Earth.

      NAU President John Haeger officially designated the Center this past spring
      and will speak at the opening ceremony on August 19th at 11:30 a.m. in front
      of the new lab science building. Dr. Liz Grobsmith, NAU Provost and Vice
      President for Academic Affairs, and Dr. Laura Huenneke, NAU Vice President for
      Research, will also speak.

      "In this era of rapid environmental changes, well-documented collections of
      biological organisms represent invaluable windows into the past ecosystems of
      our region," said Laura Huenneke, Vice President for Research. "The
      university's commitment to sustaining these collections for research and
      teaching is another demonstration of our deep connection to the Colorado
      Plateau."

      The Colorado Plateau Biodiversity Center strives to:
      •document species of the Plateau and comparative species from other regions
      •interpret the natural world through education, research and public programs
      •promote understanding of the evolution and diversity of the Colorado Plateau
      •inspire a respect for biodiversity and the environment

      The CPBC’s 16 faculty curators and diverse collections support 29 regular
      university courses across five NAU departments plus an array of undergraduate
      and graduate internships in education and research.

      For more information on the CPBC, please visit: www.mpcer.nau.edu/cpbc

      or contact:

      Dr. Stefan Sommer, Director
      Colorado Plateau Biodiversity Center
      NAU Campus Box 6077
      Flagstaff, AZ 86011
      Phone: (928) 523-4463
      Fax: (928) 523-7500
      Email: Stefan.Sommer@...
      Online: www.mpcer.nau.edu/cpbc

      --

      Mansel A. Nelson

      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
      children." Native American Proverb