FWD: Randall Davey Audubon Center Fall '08 Internship Available

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2008
      >===== Original Message From "STRANG, Dana" <dstrang@...> =====
      Our education staff relies heavily on Interns and Volunteers to conduct our
      programs. Interns are college students or recent graduates who are interested
      in pursuing a career in education or science. Volunteers aid the education
      staff with program set-up and implementation.

      Internships at the Randall Davey Audubon Center (RDAC):
      The RDAC offers internships to individuals seeking professional experience in
      environmental education. Each intern receives training in a wide variety of
      education programs, the operations and activities of a nature center and
      non-profit organization, principles of environmental interpretation, art and
      historic interpretation and natural history of New Mexico. Interns will work
      directly with the education staff in carrying out responsibilities necessary
      to meet RDAC 's objectives.

      Background of the RDAC:
      Founded in 1983, the RDAC is a non-profit education center and wildlife
      sanctuary and the New Mexico State Office of the National Audubon Society.
      Audubon New Mexico's mission mirrors that of the National Audubon Society on a
      statewide basis: to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on
      birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the
      earth's biological diversity. At the RDAC, we connect and engage children and
      adults with nature so that they will better understand and enjoy the world
      around them, while developing skills to become active stewards of the planet.
      This year, we are delighted to be celebrating the 25th anniversary of
      operation. Audubon staff members and volunteers offer educational enrichment
      opportunities to a diverse range of New Mexican communities and neighborhoods.

      Roles of RDAC interns:
      Fall 2008 Internship
      During this seasonal internship, responsibilities include teaching natural
      history classes on topics such as birds, botany, watershed health, ecology,
      pollination and more, to elementary school children in the Santa Fe area.
      These programs are taught in our classroom or at local schools.

      Interns may also assist in the planning and implementation of special event
      programs. These events and programs may include presentations to after school
      or scout organizations, interacting with the public during special events held
      at the center, or helping with an Audubon booth during a community event. In
      addition to teaching responsibilities, interns duties range on a daily bases
      from facility up-keep, curriculum development, creating interruptive displays,
      orientation and interaction with visitors, clerical duties, and assistance to
      Audubon New Mexico staff. All intern responsibilities will emphasize RDAC's
      mission while participating in a team atmosphere. Constituents of RDAC may
      include, but are not limited to, students, educators, RDAC visitors, renters
      of the facility, special event participants, and RDAC staff.

      Seasonal internships are approximately 3 months in duration.

      Qualifications:
      Anyone with a minimum of two years of college-level study may apply. Academic
      training in natural resources, natural sciences (geology, biology),
      environmental science, education, recreation, or related field, is strongly
      desired. Preference will be given to candidates with some natural history
      background and a demonstrated interest in environmental education. Must be
      able to lead groups in an outdoor setting including hiking at a high
      elevation, and have willingness to do a wide variety of administrative duties.
      Spanish language skills are highly desired.

      Compensation:
      Interns receive a weekly stipend of $150.00 with shared housing, on site.
      Participants live in a quaint historic casita that is fully furnished and
      accommodates two people. Living on site also includes morning and evening
      responsibilities such as opening and closing the gate based on RDAC's daily
      schedule of operations.
      To Apply:
      Please fill out the application and send it with a cover letter, resume and
      three references to the RDAC Education Department P.O. Box 9314 Santa Fe, N.M.
      87504 or email dstrang@.... Positions are open until filled so apply
      early!

      Audubon promotes a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. It
      is the policy of the National Audubon Society to employ the person best
      qualified for the job regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual
      orientation, national origin, disability (handicap) or marital status.

      Dana Vackar Strang
      Environmental Education Manager
      Audubon New Mexico
      Randall Davey Audubon Center
      P.O. Box 9314
      Santa Fe, NM 87504
      Phone: (505) 983-4609, ext 26
      Fax: (505)983-2355
      dstrang@...<mailto:dstrang@...>
      http://nm.audubon.org<http://nm.audubon.org/>

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University Peterson Hall
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb