FWD: Launching of the Green Wave - a global tree-planting campaign for children and youth

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2008
      >===== Original Message From "Henderson, Amy E." <ahenderson@...> =====
      Received this release about a green wave of tree-planting around the globe and
      thought it might be of interest. The letter from the Convention on Biological
      Diversity is below, and the website for the campaign is here:
      http://greenwave.cbd.int/

      *****************************

      Date: 30 April 2008
      From: Executive Secretary, Convention on Biological Diversity, UN Environment
      Programme
      Subject: Launching of the Green Wave - a global tree-planting campaign for
      children and youth

      Dear Madam/Sir,

      As evidenced by the UNEP-led Billion Tree Campaign, and similar national,
      international and global campaigns, the planting of trees can have a real
      impact on raising awareness about environmental issues in encouraging citizen
      engagement in environmental issues, and helping people understand the work and
      the role of international organizations and multilateral environmental
      agreements - in addition to the environmental, economic and social benefits
      provided by trees.

      Given the far-reaching impacts of tree-planting campaigns, I am very pleased
      to inform you of the launch of a CBD educational campaign, the Green Wave,
      aimed at children and youth. The Green Wave is a multi-year tree planting
      initiative leading up to the International Year of Biodiversity, 2010, that
      enables children and youth to make a difference - one school, one tree, one
      step at a time. It brings together students and teachers from around the world
      to raise awareness about biodiversity and the 2010 biodiversity target.

      The Green Wave has been initiated by the German Federal Agency for Nature
      Conservation (BfN) working with the Office of Environmental Response and
      Coordination (OERC) of the Republic of Palau. The campaign has received
      support from the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature
      Conservation and Nuclear Safety, and will be coordinated through the CBD
      Secretariat. The Green Wave will support the CBD programme of work on
      Communication, Education and Public Awareness. I invite you to visit the
      website of the Green Wave at greenwave.cbd.int.

      In participating schools, students plant a locally important tree species in
      or near their schoolyard. On 22 May, the International Day for Biological
      Diversity (IBD), students around the world will count down to 10:00 local
      time, when they will water their tree in their respective schoolyards, thereby
      creating a figurative "green wave" starting in the far east and travelling
      west around the world. Throughout the day, students will upload photos and
      text summaries to the website to share their tree-planting story with other
      children and youth from around the world. An interactive map depicting all the
      Green Wave trees will go live at 20:10 local time, thereby creating a second
      "green wave". Trees planted will contribute to the UNEP-led Billion Tree
      Campaign.

      Within the CBD, the Green Wave will raise the profile of the upcoming ninth
      Convention of the Parties in Bonn, build momentum for the International Year
      of Biodiversity in 2010, contribute to annual worldwide celebrations of the
      International Day for Biological Diversity, and support the programme of work
      on Communication, Education and Public Awareness.

      The initiative will be officially launched in Bonn on 22 May 2008 by the
      Federal Minister of Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Mr.
      Sigmar Gabriel, who together with the President of the German Federal Agency
      for Nature Conservation, Prof. Dr. Beate Jessel, the Lord Mayor of the City of
      Bonn, Mrs Bärbel Dieckmann, and the Executive Secretary of the CBD, will plant
      a first, symbolic tree.

      I would like to encourage Parties to share this announcement with their
      Ministries of Education to encourage the participation of schools and to
      kindly keep the Secretariat informed of Green Wave initiatives in each country
      so that we may publicize the initiatives of teachers, non-governmental
      organizations, CBD partners and Parties on the CBD website and learn from
      these experiences for future development.

      The full text of this notification is available on the CBD website at:
      http://www.cbd.int/doc/notifications/2008/ntf-2008-057-greenwave-en.pdf
      <http://www.cbd.int/doc/notifications/2008/ntf-2008-057-greenwave-en.pdf>

      Please accept, Madam/Sir, the assurances of my highest consideration.

      Ahmed Djoghlaf
      Executive Secretary
      Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity
      United Nations Environment Programme
      413 Saint-Jacques Street, Suite 800
      Montreal, Quebec, Canada
      H2Y 1N9

      Tel: +1 514 288 2220
      Fax: +1 514 288 6588
      E-mail: secretariat@... <mailto:secretariat%40cbd.int>
      Web: http://www.cbd.int <http://www.cbd.int>

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University Peterson Hall
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb