621FWD: Rare Plant Monitoring Workshop, The Arboretum at Flagstaff

    Apr 1, 2006
      in Northern Arizona." <NAZENVED-L@...>, Rachel Edelstein
      <Rachel.Edelstein@...> =====
      >===== Original Message From scm4 <Sheila.Murray@...> =====
      Hello from the Arboretum at Flagstaff! I would like to invite you to attend
      an upcoming workshop on Rare Plant Monitoring, to be held here in Flagstaff.
      This is a great opportunity to learn more about techniques used to help rare
      plants, and to become part of the process!

      The Arboretum has been awarded a National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
      grant. The main goals are to provide training workshops to Arizona Native
      Plant Society members and others who would like to volunteer for plant
      inventories and monitoring. The focus this year is to set up and survey
      monitoring plots on seven threatened and sensitive plants in Arizona that may
      be incurring effects from long-term drought.

      This is the last opportunity to participate in our Workshop. It will be held
      Friday, April 21 from 9am to 5pm (please pack a lunch). Our first day in the
      field to re-survey monitoring plots near Cameron will be the following Monday,
      April 24.

      Topics to be covered are:

      how plant conservation is different from animal conservation
      various legislation relevant to plant conservation and what agencies do
      rarity in plants
      species concepts, taxonomic issues
      threats to plants
      population evaluation
      demography, population viability
      seed collecting and storage techniques and guidelines
      specific information on each of the 7 species

      The workshop is free, and trainees should anticipate assisting in some field
      monitoring during the summer and fall.

      Please contact me (Sheila.Murray@...) if you are interested in attending,
      and feel free to forward this message to anyone else who might be interested
      in learning more about this opportunity to help rare plants.

      Sheila Murray
      Research Assistant
      The Arboretum at Flagstaff
      4001 S. Woody Mountain Rd.
      Flagstaff, AZ 86001
      (928) 774-1442 ex 112

      Rachel Edelstein
      Public Programs Manager

      The Arboretum at Flagstaff
      4001 South Woody Mountain Road
      Flagstaff, AZ 86001
      tel. (928) 774-1442, ext. 110
      fax (928) 774-1441

      "The mission of The Arboretum at Flagstaff is to increase the understanding,
      appreciation, and conservation of plants and plant communities native to the
      Colorado Plateau."

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University North Union
      Flagstaff, AZ 86011 Bldg 3, APT A
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb