32404 ASU Modeling Workshops (June 9-27, July 7-25). Apply for $1200 tuition scholarship

    Mar 26, 2014

      From: Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@...>
      Subject: [tchrs] 4 ASU Modeling Workshops (June 9-27, July 7-25). Apply for $1200 tuition scholarship
      Date: March 26, 2014 at 9:27:07 AM MST
      To: <TCHRS@...>

      [Can you forward this update to high school physics, chemistry, and physical science teachers, & TYC faculty? Teachers tell me that they appreciate reminders.  WE HAVE some FUNDING! -- Jane Jackson]

         March 21, 2014
         ASU Modeling Workshops in Physics and Chemistry.
      Arizona State University in Tempe  offers four Modeling Workshops (June 9-27, July 7-25) for high school physics, chemistry, and physical science teachers worldwide.

      This STEM program can lead to an interdisciplinary Master of Natural Science degree. Modeling Instruction is designated as an Exemplary K-12 science program and a Promising K-12 Educational Technology program by the U.S. Department of Education.

      Two-year-college faculty and pre-service teachers are welcome, too.
      ASU resident tuition/registration is about $1850 for a 3-credit course. Non-degree registration is easy. Low-cost apartment & family housing can be arranged by Jane Jackson.

      * WE HAVE some FUNDING!  Arizona in-service teachers can apply for a $1200  tuition scholarship.
         Download the application form at
        (the MNS webpage), and submit it to Jane.Jackson@....  Sooner is better!
      * Undergraduates can apply for a 2/3 tuition scholarship.

      * Or apply to reserve a seat for non-credit (no tuition, need not apply to ASU). $150 fee.  CEUs. Limited to 20% of enrollment. Priority to teachers who commit to leadership.

      * Degree-seeking teachers can apply for forgivable Stafford loans and TEACH grants, if they teach at a high-poverty school (usually Title I), thus making it a FREE master's degree!
      Questions? Reply to jane.jackson@...

      Suggested ASU application deadline is May 10, to avoid an ASU late fee.

      Two summer sessions: June and July. ( 3 credits unless otherwise noted)

               MODELING WORKSHOPS:
      June 9-27: PHS 530/PHY 480: Methods of Teaching Physics I
                  (modeling workshop/mechanics. Jeff Steinert, with Zach Kovach.)
                    8-3:30MTWTh. 8-12F)
      June 9-27:  PHS 531/PHY 494: Methods of Teaching Physics II:  microscopic models in e&m
                 (MIchael Crofton of Minneapolis, MN. 8-3:30 MTWTh. 8-12 F)

      June 9-27: PHS 594/PHY 494: Modeling Instruction in Light
                  (Bill Edelbrock. 8-3:30 MTWTh. 8-12 F)

      July 7-25: CHM 594/CHM 480: Methods of Teaching Chemistry
                    /Modeling Instruction in HS Chemistry I
                  (Russ Shaffer & Levi Torrison, 8-3:30 MTWTh. 8-12 F at Carl Hayden HS, Phoenix)
                OTHER GRADUATE COURSES (in JULY)
      June 30-July 31: PHS 540/CHM 594: Integrated Physics & Chemistry
                  (Bob Culbertson. 11:10-2pm  MTWTh at ASU-Tempe)
      June 30-July 31: PHS 570: Spacetime Physics
                 (Carl Covatto. 3:40-6:30pm MTWTh at ASU-Tempe)

      Also: PHS 598: Leadership Workshop (1 credit):
                 (Jim Archambault. alternate Friday afternoons in June & July at ASU-Tempe)

      Teachers wrote:
      * Great chem workshop.
      * It was, without a doubt, the single greatest professional development experience of my career.
      * ASU's summer program is a national treasure!
      * Thanks to taking physics modeling course work, I am highly qualified in physics.
      * I learned more about teaching and physics this summer than in 5 years of college!
      * I LOVE this program!

      Modeling Workshops nationwide in high school physics, chemistry, and biology
      (about 50 in 20 states) are described at
        http://modelinginstruction.org and also at http://www.phystec.org/pd .

      Each MODELING WORKSHOP has these features:
      * aligned with Common Core Math Standards and ELA.
      * aligned with Arizona Science & Math Standards
      * includes all 8 scientific practices of NRC Framework for K-12 Science Education.
      * addresses multiple learning styles.
      * addresses naive student conceptions.
      * collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking.
      * systems, models, modeling.
      * coherent curriculum framework, but not a curriculum; thus flexible.
      * compatible with Socratic methods & project-based instruction.
      * science & math literacy.
      * authentic assessments.
      * high-tech and low-tech options for labs.
      Models and theories are the purpose and the outcomes of scientific practices. They are the tools for engineering design and problem solving. As such, modeling guides all other practices.

      Mansel Nelson