3182Progress Update on the AUM Report to Congress]

    Feb 14, 2014

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Progress Update on the AUM Report to Congress
      From: AUM <AUM@...>
      Date: Fri, February 14, 2014 11:24 am
      To: Undisclosed recipients:;

      Congress directed the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), in consultation with the U.S. Department of the Interior and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, to review and prepare a report on abandoned uranium mines in the United States that provided uranium ore for atomic energy defense activities.

      DOE would like to update you on the progress we have made on the Abandoned Uranium Mines Report to Congress. We have developed topic reports that will provide the foundation for the final Report to Congress. Although these topic reports are still drafts, we want to share this information with you now as we move toward finalizing these four reports and start the Report to Congress.  The topic reports will be available on our website at Topic Reports and Webinar on or near February 20, 2014.

      Over the past 12 months we solicited input for our report directly through various forums involving federal, state, and tribal agencies, as well as non-governmental organizations involved with mining and mine reclamation.  In addition, we have received input on our website, and have incorporated information from mine reclamation that DOE has done in Colorado.  We also shared an initial draft of the topic reports with the agencies, tribes and states that have participated in these forums and made changes to them based on their comments.

      Our final report will summarize the information in the four topic reports that focus on: 1) location and status of defense-related uranium mines; 2) impacts of these mines on human health and the environment; 3) potential cost and feasibility of reclamation and remediation efforts, and; 4) priority ranking for reclamation and remediation.

      Draft Topic Reports Webinar
      We will conduct a 1-hour webinar on February 25, 2014, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM (EST) to update you on our progress. We will give a 10 minute overview for each draft report, including a summary of the tasks we still need to complete. The remainder of the webinar will offer an opportunity for you to ask general questions about the reports.

      To register for the webinar, please visit our website or sign-up here: Register for Webinar
      The webinar presentation will be circulated to registered participants in advance of the webinar.

      Additional information about the Abandoned Uranium Mines Report to Congress is available on our website at http://www.lm.doe.gov/aum/

      If you have any questions or would like to send us additional information, please e-mail AUM@....