3049Fwd: Grant Funded Faculty Development Opportunity

    Oct 30, 2013

    Begin forwarded message:

    From: Lori Ann Rubino-Hare <Lori.Hare@...>
    Subject: Grant Funded Faculty Development Opportunity
    Date: October 30, 2013 at 12:06:30 PM MST

    Greetings,
    We are excited to announce GEOCACHE, an NSF-funded collaborative project between the Center for Science Teaching and Learning, the Department of Geography, Recreation, and Planning, and Mesa Community College. A goal of GEOCACHE is to help college faculty and secondary teachers integrate geospatial technologies into their current courses to promote career awareness.  GEOCACHE offers opportunities for faculty to learn to use and teach with geospatial technologies (GST). We are recruiting participants for GEOCACHE now.

    The Basic Institute occurs face to face two weekends in the spring with online assignments in between the meetings. It may not be necessary for individuals with experience using GST, though it will be a great review of the latest software and online capabilities of the ArcGIS platform. Mark Manone will lead this course from NAU and Karen Blevins will run the course simultaneously from MCC to reach more participants across the state.

    The Advanced GEOCACHE Institute will occur July 21-25, 2014 at MCC in Mesa. During this week, participants will develop a project-based unit integrating GST for implementation in Fall 2014 or Spring 2015. We will support participants through their implementation. It’s exciting because high school teachers will be working alongside college faculty. We hope there will be some interesting discussions about college and career readiness and mutual benefits for all.

    It will be a highly competitive process; there are only 20 spots available for both high school and college faculty participants. Applicants are encouraged to take the narrative portion of the application seriously. A panel will use a rubric to score the applications and will be looking closely at narratives. Interested faculty can find the application herehttp://www.mesacc.edu/departments/cultural-science/geographic-information-systems/geocache.

    Feel free to contact me or Mark Manone (mark.manone@...)  if you have questions.

    Regards,
    Lori

    Lori Rubino-Hare
    Professional Development Coordinator
    Northern Arizona University
    Center for Science Teaching and Learning
    PO Box 5697
    115 West Ellery Street, CHEM Building 20, Room 105
    Flagstaff, Arizona 86011-5697
    928-523-6008/928-523-7953 Fax
    Follow us on social media! Click icons to visit
    Don’t forget to check out our new PD offerings promoting STEM Education. Workshops begin in November. Register now before they fill up!

    High School Teachers and College Faculty: Apply for the NSF-funded PD  GEOCACHE today! Deadline is December 1, 2013.

    Mansel Nelson
    mansel.nelson@...