3028ASU Red Carpet Day for HS seniors and their physics teachers

    Oct 1, 2013

      From: Colleen Megowan <Megowan@...>
      Date: October 1, 2013 at 4:39:09 PM MST
      To: "tchrs@..." <tchrs@...>
      Subject: [tchrs] ASU Red Carpet Day for HS seniors and their physics teachers

      ASU Physics Department would like to invite physics teachers and two of their high school senior physics students to our Physics Department Red Carpet Day on November 1st from 11:30-3:30.

      You and your students will be:

      ·         treated to lunch

      ·         have an opportunity to meet physicists and physics students (including our new student Learning Assistants—students who have done well in their first year of physics and are hired to assist students in intro physics recitation sessions and lectures)

      ·         spend time in an advanced lab class

      ·         visit two research laboratories

      ·         see some great physics demos

      ·         collaborate with other attendees to solve a “Fermi Question”

      ·         enter a drawing to win one of several door prizes

      ·         learn about program pathways and options

       We are limiting the gathering to 24: 8 teachers and 16 students so we the group will be small enough that the lab visits can be maximally interactive.

      If you are interested in attending please email me. If you would like to bring a couple of students, please let me know as soon as possible. Then, get a commitment from the two seniors you want to bring along (we are hoping for a diverse group of young scientists for this first gathering!) and let me know their names so we can make name tags for everyone.

      Hope to see you in a month!

      Colleen

      Colleen Megowan-Romanowicz PhD

      Research Scientist

      Physics Department & Learning Sciences Institute

      Arizona State University

      megowan@...