Looking for a teacher-pioneer.
- Job Title: Part-Time Entrepreneurship Teacher
Salary Range: $10,000-15,000
Employment Starting Date: August 13, 2001
Businesses United in Investing, Lending and Development ("BUILD") is
a social venture, chartered in September 1999, which bridges the
divide between youth in East Palo A lot and Eastern Menlo Park
("EPA") and the business and intellectual resources of Silicon
Valley. BUILD empowers youth from low-income communities to excel in
the classroom, on the job, and beyond by giving them education in
entrepreneurship and by encouraging students to develop their own
small businesses, with real-world business experiences. Intensive
involvement of local business and community leaders in mentoring and
support of the students, and an operating youth incubator are central
and distinctive components of the program.
The Entrepreneurship Teacher will teach high school students in East
Palo Alto basic entrepreneurial skills. The program is set up for
two levels of instruction; an introductory course, and a business
incubator. The teacher will be responsible for organizing
curriculum, coordinating lesson plans, instruction and assessment of
student performance. The course is taught two evenings a week. The
teacher will meet with the introductory students twice a week and the
incubator students intermittently. The pr4ogram is mentoring
intensive and therefore the teacher will work closely with mentors to
ensure a positive learning experience for the students. The course
also relies on community leaders as guest speakers and the teacher
will also be responsible for the coordination of these appearances.
The teacher will also regularly communicate with parents to keep them
up to date and aware of student achievements and activities.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
· Act as a teacher, cheerleader, friend and supporter to a wonderful
group of high school students.
· Organize, oversee and instruct students in learning basic
· Coordinate guest lecturers from the community.
· Conduct mentor training and manage the mentors during the school
· Promote the students' emotional wellness by increasing their self-
esteem through business success and knowledge.
· Coordinate appropriate field trips that compliment the curriculum.
· Assist students in the completion of their college applications.
· Bachelor's Degree, preferably in education, business or related
· Desire to work with high school age students.
· Strong inter-personal and organizational skills.
·Desire to become personally involved in student's lives.
· Experience or training in education or business.
· Previous mentoring experience.
· Strong interest in business and entrepreneurship.
For more information, please contact Suzanne McKechnie Klahr at
(650) 688-5840 or Suzanne@....
Submit your resume and cover letter to:
Suzanne McKechnie Klahr
1600 Adams Drive
Menlo Park, CA 94025