Job Opening: Director of Curriculum and Instruction, KIPP Bayview Academy (SF)
- Organization Description
KIPP Bayview Academy is a member of the KIPP Network of 45 schools in 15 states and the District of Columbia. KIPP Schools are high-performing, open-enrollment public middle schools where students develop the knowledge, skills, and character needed to succeed in top-performing high schools, colleges, and the competitive world beyond. KIPP students are accepted regardless of prior academic record, conduct, or socioeconomic background. Our schools share a core set of principles known as the Five Pillars: 1) High Expectations, 2) Choice & Commitment, 3) More Time, 4) Power to Lead, and 5) Focus on results. Learn more at www.kipp.org
The Director of Curriculum and Instruction will assist the principal in developing and implementing the overall instructional program. S/he will provide direct coaching/mentoring support to teachers and teams in the areas of curriculum development, lesson design, instructional strategies, and assessment. S/he will provide leadership in developing and implementing ongoing professional development throughout the year and will foster an environment of collaborative inquiry where teachers are constantly working to improve their practices and the learning of their students. The Director of Curriculum and Instruction will report directly to the principal but will work closely with all staff members within the school.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist principal in developing student performance targets for grades 5 through 8 in reading, writing, math, social studies and science.
- Assist principal in determining a yearly school wide instructional/learning focus area(s).
- Develop and facilitate a year long professional development plan that aligns with this focus.
- Provide assistance/guidance to teachers to develop learning goals that are aligned with the school wide student performance targets and learning focus area(s).
- Mentor new teachers.
- Assist grade level teams and departments with creating standards based long-term curriculum guides; assist teachers in organizing and maintaining curriculum/ instructional binders.
- Assist grade level teams in cross-curricular planning, specifically with an emphasis on literacy.
- Provide assistance and facilitation to grade level/department team meetings.
- Provide coaching services to meet the needs of individual teachers (co-plan, co-teach, model, facilitate reflective conversations, problem solve, provide resources).
- Provide training and coordination for peer observations. Research and share best practices as needed.
- Organize, schedule, and coordinate diagnostic and benchmark assessments for reading, writing, and math.
- Analyze results, in collaboration with staff, to inform instructional practices.
- Assist principal in coordinating the CST and SAT 10 testing and CELDT.
- Assist in establishing school wide grading systems, record keeping, and report cards.
- Assist teachers in monitoring students who are struggling academically; assist teachers in developing individual student learning plans; assist in securing additional resources for students.
- Regularly gather feedback, question, concerns, challenges, and successes from teachers in order to best support instructional needs of teachers and learning needs of students.
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics
Please compose a thoughtful cover letter which describes your qualifications and commitment to the mission of Director of Curriculum and Instruction and how your experience satisfies the following:
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree preferred
- Minimum of two years of successful teaching with excellent student achievement results
- Valid teaching certificate (or in process to receive one) Knowledge of educational best practices and adult learning Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively with multiple constituencies Excellent organizational, planning and implementation skills Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Relentless results-orientation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook Detail-oriented team player willing to roll up her/his sleeves to get the job done
- Experience with charter schools a plus
Please email cover letter and resumé to Molly Wood, Principal, KIPP Bayview Academy at mwood@...