GreatSchools.net Job Announcement
- Vice President of Engineering
About us: GreatSchools.net is a free, online guide to K-12 schools. We are a nonprofit Internet start-up funded in part by John Doerr and other Silicon Valley philanthropists, corporations, and foundations. Our mission is to provide parents with the information they need to choose schools, support their childrens education and advocate for educational excellence.
GreatSchools.net got started two years ago and is growing fast. We have a dedicated, talented team and a comfortable office in the SOMA area of SF. In 2001, we plan to grow from our current size of 16 employees to about 24 employees.
Job description: We seek an experienced and creative leader who is excited by technical challenges such as expanding our site to cover 13 additional states in 2001, creating a more abbreviated version of our site for the remaining states, improving site usability, and adding new features.
· Design a flexible, scalable site and database structure
· Manage and mentor a team of three full-time software engineers and part-time freelance systems administrator
· Develop and execute a tight feature release schedule
· Work closely with the GreatSchools.net team to implement an evolving vision of the site
· Write code and oversee systems administration
· Oversee internal traffic monitoring and email system
· Excellent leadership and team management skills
· Excellent strategic planning skills
· Extensive hands-on experience in Web site development
· Thorough knowledge of Internet technologies and trends
· Experience developing in Unix environment
· Experience with Linux, FreeBSD, Java, C/C++, XML, and sh scripting a plus
· Commitment to the organizations mission of helping parents make better decisions about their childrens education
Salary competitive with senior technical positions in the private sector. Medical and dental benefits plus retirement plan. Diversity welcomed.
Application: Please send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to jobs@... with VP of Engineering in the subject line.