BSR Job Announcement
Business for Social ResponsibilityManager – Business and Social Entrepreneurship
Community Economic Development Program
Business for Social Responsibility (BSR) seeks a Manager for its Community Economic Development Program. The position represents a partnership between BSR and SeaChange. The position is located at BSR’s national headquarters in San Francisco.
BSR is an US-based global non-profit business association, with more than 1,400 members and affiliated companies that employ nearly eight million workers and enjoy total annual revenues of almost $2 trillion. BSR’s mission is to promote more responsible business practices by helping companies achieve commercial success in ways that demonstrate respect for ethical values, people, the community and the environment. The BSR Education Fund (BSREF), is a non-profit charitable organization serving the broader business community and the general public through research and educational programs about responsible business practices.
Background:SeaChange is a new non-profit organization whose mission is to catalyze sustainable social change through social entrepreneurship. SeaChange forges alliances among social entrepreneurs, social investors and business leaders by creating the entrepreneurial nonprofit marketplace that provides access to expertise, collaboration and capital.
To further the missions of both organizations, a unique partnership is being created. The first project of the BSR/BSREF - SeaChange partnership will seek to provide a resource for members of the business community seeking relationships with social entrepreneurs and promote collaboration among businesses and social entrepreneurs. This will be achieved through the creation of the position of Manager - Business and Social Entrepreneurship ("the Manager").
Program:BSREF’s Community Economic Development (CED) Program is a comprehensive source of information on innovative and efficient uses of corporate assets that yield economic benefits to both companies and communities. Such practices include workforce development, partnerships with minority- and women-owned businesses, site selection and financial investments. The program’s success rests on its ability to provide top-quality products and services to member companies, and to continually enhance the CED components of BSR/BSREF’s unique information resources.
Position:This Manager will focus on connecting businesses with non-profit social entrepreneurs and organizations. The position is being created by SeaChange and the BSR/BSREF to be a resource and matchmaker for members and the business community seeking partnerships with non-profit social entrepreneur organizations. The position is being initially created for a one-year trial period. Both parties will review and evaluate the partnership’s success prior to completion of the first year. The position shall only be renewed and continued upon the mutual agreement of both parties.
The Manager will be responsible for broadening BSR/BSREF’s knowledge of social entrepreneurship and helping corporations develop criteria for partnerships, identifying potential partners through research and review of the SeaChange database and facilitating relationships where appropriate.
Specific responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with CED Program and SeaChange staff, develop a strategic plan for achieving the goal of the partnership, including measurable outcomes;
- serve as an internal resource for BSREF’s work on a range of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) issues by providing information on social entrepreneurship to all BSREF programs (Environment, Human Rights, Community Involvement, Workplace, among others);
- work directly with BSR member companies and others to help identify potential social entrepreneurs for collaborative efforts;
- work directly with BSR/BSREF’s staff to conduct outreach and promote social entrepreneur opportunities and partnerships through a variety of strategies (e.g. web sites, BSR/BSREF and SeaChange publications, conferences, working groups, etc.);
- represent BSREF on a range of social entrepreneurship issues;
- research and write educational topic overviews, issue briefs, company and/or social entrepreneur profiles, strategic "how to" tools, guides and reports on areas related to business practices and relationships with nonprofits;
- Develop, conduct and collaborate on projects for companies on a range of social entrepreneurship issues as they relate to partnerships with non-profits;
- Research information on social entrepreneurship issues, including business leadership practices and emerging issues and trends, using a wide range of sources, including Internet, Lexis-Nexis, library searches and phone interviews; organize information into reports, spreadsheets and database programs;
- summarize relevant articles from print and publications, and developments in the field; and
- build relationships with companies to encourage their participation in activities relating to social entrepreneurhip via meetings, phone calls and written communications.
- a college degree (with strong preference for a graduate degree), and five years minimum professional experience;
- work experience in or with the business community;
- work experience in or with corporate partnerships with non-profit entrepreneurs and organizations;
- excellent research and business writing skills;
- strong verbal communication skills;
- ability to do thorough analytical and research work;
- ability to work independently and show initiative;
- creative problem-solving capability and ability to see tasks through to completion;
- strong organizational and project management skills, with extraordinary follow-through and attention to detail;
- ability to manage multiple tasks and projects;
- experience and comfort with information technology resources (e.g. Word, database software, internet communications);
- familiarity with non-profit and social entrepreneur intermediary organizations;
- capacity to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization that values collaboration, and to exhibit grace under pressure; and
- high ethical standards.
Diversity:BSR is committed to a diverse workforce. We actively seek to recruit people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives reflecting the full diversity of our economy and society.
Salary and Benefits:BSR offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental and disability insurance, as well as three weeks paid vacation. The salary range is $50,000 - $60,000. The position is available January 2001.
Contact:Please electronically mail resume, cover letter and two-page maximum business writing sample to: jobs@.... Please let us know how you heard about the position. No phone calls, e-mail response only please. No resumes will be accepted after February 28, 2001. Thank you for your interest in BSR.
To learn more about both organizations, please visitwww.bsr.org and www.sea-change.org