Job Opening: Oakland Fund Lead, NewSchools Venture Fund, Oakland, CA
Seeking: Leader for Oakland Fund
Nationally recognized venture philanthropy firm seeks experienced leader for a newly-launched fund in Oakland, CA focused on increasing the number of high performing schools, developing talent locally, and increasing community commitment to public education.
NewSchools is a not-for-profit venture philanthropy firm which funds and supports entrepreneurial organizations that dramatically improve public education for under-served students. Currently, NewSchools is actively investing nationally in teacher training and education technology, as well as locally through city-based funds in Washington, DC, Boston, Newark, and Oakland, where NewSchools is headquartered.
The Oakland fund leader will be responsible for managing all aspects of the Fund to ensure it meets its impact and fundraising goals:
· Develop strategy: Refine the Fund’s investment plan based on progress to date, investor feedback, and community dynamics to maximize performance and impact. Coordinate formal evaluation of Fund’s performance.
· Lead diligence: Source, evaluate, and recommend grants, contracts, loans, or mission-related equity investments, in a way that is consistent with NewSchools standards for diligence
· Support ventures: Provide ongoing support to ventures, by providing resources, connections, and advice (either informally or as a member of the organization’s Board of Directors). Organize convenings locally and nationally to share and learn best practices.
· Build donor relationships: Maintain productive relationships with Fund’s donors. Organize and lead quarterly meetings with the Fund’s donors to provide information and solicit feedback on investment decisions, strategy changes, policy and advocacy issues, and Fund performance. Prepare written reports to donors as needed.
· Develop strong community relationships: Meet with local leaders to advance the goals of the Fund.
· Manage the team: Hire, develop, and retain high performing team
· Manage Fund budget: Manage Fund budget (annually and over the life of the Fund)
· Collaborate with broader NewSchools team: Inform NewSchools team and Board about Oakland Fund progress; coordinate with other Funds to share lessons learned, support the broader portfolio, and ensure strategic alignment. Actively participate in team meetings and events. Lead and support internal NewSchools projects as needed.
· Proven track record as a leader in achieving results in K-12 public education
· Demonstrated commitment to equity and access for public school students
· Ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally, with a wide variety of stakeholders with different interests
· Demonstrated ability to build a high-performing team
· Creative and proactive about identifying opportunities and solving problems
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Deep knowledge of public education history and trends; interest in entrepreneurial approaches in public education
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and deliver high-quality work on time and on budget; excellent organizational and time management skills
Education and Experience
· Minimum 6 years’ experience in public education or not-for-profit management
· Graduate degree in management, education, and/or public policy preferred
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: asoto@...