Job Opening: Managing Director at Education Pioneers (Boston office)
- Organization: Education Pioneers
Position: Managing Director
About Education Pioneers:
Education Pioneers is an enterprising nonprofit organization that
exists to train, connect, and inspire a new generation of education
leaders dedicated to transforming the educational system so that all
students receive a quality education.
Founded in 2003, Education Pioneers seeks to dramatically increase
the talent pool and effectiveness of the next generation of
education leaders. Education Pioneers collaborates with existing
education leaders and organizations to provide graduate students in
business, education, law, and policy with a rigorous summer training
program centered on practical work experience. During the program,
participants explore key leverage areas in education reform where
they can use their skills to drive significant change. Over time,
Education Pioneers and its partners will train, connect, and inspire
a national corps of leaders who can devise and implement innovative
solutions to our nation's most pressing educational problems.
In 2004, Education Pioneers successfully piloted its Fellows Program
in the San Francisco Bay Area. During the summer, Fellows worked on
challenging projects for partner organizations four days a week. On
Fridays, Fellows convened to develop leadership skills and learn
from experienced education leaders about the K-12 education reform
landscape. In the next several years, Education Pioneers plans to
expand the Fellows Program by opening new sites in Boston, Chicago,
Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C., and other urban centers
across the United States.
Education Pioneers seeks a Managing Director to launch and lead its
2005 Fellows Program in Boston. The Managing Director will be
responsible for managing the Boston site and contributing to the
overall success of the organization. The ideal candidate will be an
entrepreneurial education leader with the skills to launch a new
program and the desire to join a start-up venture focused on
* Work closely with the Executive Director and future Managing
Directors to run a mission-focused, values-based, and results-driven
nonprofit organization and to ensure the effective management and
expansion of the organization.
* Lead the recruitment and selection of quality education
organizations and talented graduate students to participate in the
Fellows Program in Boston.
* Collaborate with all participants during the internship placement
process to find a strong fit between the skills of each Fellow and
the needs of each partner organization.
* Plan and facilitate the weekly training sessions and opening and
closing retreats for the Fellows Program in Boston by working
closely with the Executive Director, partner organizations, and
local guest speakers.
* Monitor Fellows Program evaluation and assessment through data
collection and analysis, including feedback from Fellows and partner
* Establish a Boston Advisory Board and maintain positive and
effective board relations and communications.
* Design and lead new projects and initiatives in Boston that
support the mission of Education Pioneers.
* Assist with local fundraising in Boston.
* Build a strong professional network of "hybrid" education
leaders working to transform our nation's educational system.
Experience and Qualifications:
* A graduate degree (JD, MA, MBA, MPP, PhD) is required.
* Two or more years of work experience in the field of education;
significant education reform experience in Boston preferred.
* Knowledge of the current K-12 education reform landscape.
* Entrepreneurial in leading and managing a new and growing venture.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent facilitation and networking skills.
* Outstanding team and culture building skills.
* A strong commitment to Education Pioneers' mission and core
values of courage, optimism, collaboration, and action.
* Independent, organized, and detail-oriented self-starter.
* Energetic, hard-working, and enthusiastic team player.
* Flexible, resourceful, and persistent change agent.
* Creative, imaginative, and innovative problem solver.
* Principled leader with high ethical standards.
Competitive salary, benefits, and performance bonus.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to Scott Morgan,
Executive Director of Education Pioneers, at
Education Pioneers is an equal opportunity employer. For more
information about Education Pioneers, please visit our website: