Job Opening: Rocketship Education: Manager of Talent Development
Position Description: Manager of Talent Development
Rocketship Education (www.rsed.org) is a network of public K through 5 charter schools serving primarily low-income students in neighborhoods where access to excellent schools is limited. Using a blend of traditional instruction, adaptive technology and targeted tutoring,Rocketship strives to meet the unique needs of each and every student. But we believe that truly transformative schools do more than educate students; they empower teachers, engage parents and inspire communities. Together, we can eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetime.
Rocketshipis based in San Jose, but we realize the achievement gap stretches across thenation. We're opening new schools every year to help reach the millions ofstudents striving in underperforming schools every day.
The LeadershipDevelopment Team
The Leadership Development (LD) Team is responsible for the design andimplementation of structures, tools, and programming to support the preparationof Rocketship's teacher leaders, assistant principals, and principals. This includes codifying school-basedleadership roles and competencies, running the Network Fellows principalpreparation program and other ongoing development opportunities, partneringclosely with school and regional-based teams to ensure development of allstaff, and evaluating current practice in school talent development.
The Manager of Talent Developmentwill play a critical role in setting the vision for school-based careers anddesigning structures, tools, and programming to support leadership developmentof school staff. This is an exciting opportunity to bring innovation toschool-based careers and design coherent, aligned roles across schoolstaff roles in order to develop, improve effectiveness, and retain school staffover time. This position may also include the opportunity to lead and supporton initiatives related to talent development for Rocketship central officestaff. The Manager of School TalentDevelopment is a full-time exempt role that will report to the Sr. Manager of LeadershipDevelopment.
- Collaborate closelywith key regional and school staff members as well as talent teammates to leadwork in the following areas:
School Staff Role Design
- Develop andrefine network-wide vision for school leader and teacher roles and career paths
- Refine ILS ortutor/coach role for Rocketship classroom model
- Develop and/orrefine competencies and selection criteria for Rocketship principals, assistantprincipals, teacher leaders, teachers, and Individualized Learning Specialists
Performance Management Systems and Assessment of Current Practice
- Design andimplement a 360 feedback protocol for school leaders
- Design andimplement performance evaluations for all school based instructional staff
- Design,implement, and analyze surveys to assess school leader effectiveness andcapture best practices
- Analyze currentpractice against competencies for each school-based instructional role
Training and Development
- Consult ontraining and program design in alignment with competencies, gaps, and strengthsin current practice
- Lead normingprocess for all talent-related tools at school sites
- Provide trainingdesign support
School Staff Retention
- Assess regrettable and voluntary staff departures and developretention strategies
Rocketship Central Office Staff Talent Development
- Lead and/orsupport on initiatives to drive talent development in the Rocketship regionaland national offices including but not limited to: design of performancemanagement and feedback systems, define and clarify positions, titles, andpathways, and identify appropriate training and development opportunities
- Commitment and passion for Rocketship's mission, vision, and goals
- Outstanding skills in problem solving andcritical thinking
- Innovative,visionary approach to redefining school-based careers and career paths
- Sharp eye forschool staff talent and ability to assess competencies
- Skill at building strong working relationships with people in both senior- and junior-level roles, both within and beyond Rocketship.
- Experience "managing through influence," driving results requiring contribution from multiple stakeholders without direct oversight
- Ability to boildown complex topics into usable tools and sticky language
- Ability toorganize and synthesize large amounts of data and extract key trends
- Ability to providetools, systems, and solutions for large-scale systems
- Analysis(qualitative, some quantitative preferred)
- Research skillsto identify models and best practices in other networks and fields
- Understanding ofhow adults learn and develop
- Experience in a fast-paced, highly analytical, entrepreneurial environment, with the ability and desire to help shape a new role and flexibly shift responsibilities over time as the role and department evolve
- 2+ years of teaching experience
- 2+ years of experiencein design of tools, systems, or trainings related to performance management,talent selection, adult training ordevelopment
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint required
- Schoolleadership experience strongly preferred
- Recruitment orhiring experience a plus
- Bachelor's degree required
If you are interested in this opportunity, please go to http://www.rsed.org/ to submit your online application.
Rocketship Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender,sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information,marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Education complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring,placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence,compensation, and training.
Rocketship Educationexpressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race,color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, geneticinformation, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with theability of Rocketship Education's employees to perform their expected jobduties is absolutely not tolerated.