Job Opening: Principal Resident, Aspire Public Schools
Aspire Public Schools is a nonprofit organization that currently operates 34 high-performing,
open-enrollment public charter schools serving 12,000 students in underserved communities
across California and will open schools in Memphis, TN in fall, 2013. Aspire is one of the
highest-performing public school systems in California, delivering a rigorous `College for
Certain' education to students in grades K-12. An unrelenting focus on college preparedness led
to 100 percent of graduating Aspire seniors being accepted to four year colleges or universities in
2010, 2011 and 2012. Aspire offers a high-quality education in six cities throughout California:
Los Angeles, Oakland, Stockton, Sacramento, Modesto and East Palo Alto. Visit Aspire Public
Schools at www.aspirepublicschools.org.
The Aspire Principal Residency Program (APR) is an opportunity for individuals to prepare to be an Aspire principal. Residents take on an administrative role within an Aspire school with a selected mentor principal. Supplemental classes, coaching, and projects provide residents experience with administration in a sheltered environment. The program supports the residents to take the School Leaders Licensure Assessment which qualifies one to receive an administrative credential.
- Work with a Mentor Principal, Area Superintendent, and Director of Aspire Principal Residency on administrative duties which will include: opportunities to run professional development, work with parents, observe teachers and plan initiatives.
- Participate in regular meetings with mentor feedback, one week summer program and additional seminars held during or after school hours and possibly 2 or 3 Saturdays throughout the year.
- If you are selected as a Memphis Resident, you will be expected to make trips to Memphis throughout the school year, join several planning meetings and phone calls to prepare for opening a new school and move to Memphis in the spring of 2013.
1) The APR Program looks for candidates who display the following competencies:
-Instructional Knowledge: Exhibits expertise in effective teaching, including curriculum standards, curriculum design and learning theory.
-Data: Uses data to increase student achievement.
-Ownership: Consistently holds self and others accountable for results, actions and decisions.
-Collaboration: Develops strong relationships with colleagues and works from a "one for all, all for one" premise in order to accomplish more together than what is possible alone.
- Purposefulness: Understands, embraces and consistently takes deliberate action to achieve Aspire's vision and mission. This includes long term goal setting, backwards mapping from the goal(s) and taking steps along the path toward the goal(s).
-Customer Service: Empathetically understands the needs and desires of the students and the families we serve.
-Beliefs: Believes all students can achieve at high levels.
2) Minimum educational level:
-Bachelor's Degree required
-Multiple Subject Teaching Credential preferred
-NCLB Highly Qualified preferred
3) Experience Required:
-5+ years working with urban students as a full-time teacher preferred
- Experience managing adults preferred
To learn more about our schools and this specific opening, please go to http://careers.aspirepublicschools.orgAspire Public Schools, where you can submit an online application.