Job opening at Healthy Living Academy for Academic Director
- Position: Academic Director
Healthy Living Academy
Located near Fresno, CA and Yosemite National Park, Healthy Living
Academy is the first therapeutic boarding school for obese and
overweight adolescents ages 13-18. Healthy Living Academy's diet
and activity management programs focus on immediate and dramatic
weight loss, while the educational and therapeutic programs promote
long-term behavioral change so that the weight stays off for good.
These critical changes improve mood and self-esteem and resolve
health issues stemming from excess weight, allowing students to
accelerate their academic progress and achieve their potential. With
respect to the academic program, Healthy Living Academy is a college
preparatory middle and high school with high standards. The
curriculum is rigorous but individualized. The objective is to
accelerate academic progress so students can return to their former
school after several semesters, ahead of where they otherwise would
It is anticipated that course options will include Mathematics,
English, Science, History, Psychology, Social Studies and Health and
Nutrition, as well as a number of electives like Gardening and
Cooking. All courses explore the central theme of the Academy:
health and healthy living. Small class sizes ensure individual
attention and appropriate mapping to each student's background
and academic goals. Healthy Living Academy is a recognized as a
Private School by the State of California Department of Education.
Academic Director - Position Summary
Establishes curriculum, hires teachers, assists and guides students
in all areas of the school's program, assigns students to classes
when enrolling, prepares academic reports, provides updates on new
students, tracks student progress, responsible for teacher training,
monitors independent studies and oversees students with specific
learning needs. Provides classroom instruction in various subjects.
- Sets direction for academic program.
- Establishes curriculum.
- Hires teachers.
- Tutors students on learning needs/adaptation methods/self-
- Monitors student's progress, receiving regular input from Teachers.
- Reviews student's grades and maintains an updated student academic
- Provides updated educational information to Teachers, Admissions
Department, and other program staff on a regular basis.
- Attends and chairs faculty meetings. Meets with faculty on regular
basis to update process and discuss individual student needs.
- Prepares teachers' performance evaluations and other related
- Maintains accurate records/transcripts, compiles grades, enters
data, prints report cards, makes grade charts and maintains student
- Schedules new students in classes appropriate for their
educational plan. Provides updates and relevant information on new
- Prepares academic master schedule with input from Executive and
- Recommends budget of the Academic Department and manages to
- Supervises and directs faculty in their capacity as classroom
teachers. Arranges class coverage for teacher absences and notifies
staff of substitute.
- Oversees the scheduling of classes, and the purchasing of
necessary materials. Adapts curriculum design for special needs
- Oversees all students' academic records and regular reviews
transcripts with students, parents and referring professionals.
- Follows through with teachers and other staff to maintain an
effective system for tracking each student's academic progress.
- Coordinates with students and parents on academic probation along
with other appropriate faculty.
- Responsible for teacher training.
- Serves as a liaison between Admissions and Academics. Liaisons
with parent and consultant contact as needed.
- Monitors all aspects of independent study including student
requests, evaluation of transcripts and graduation requirements,
liaison for teachers and tutors of independents study, and
consistently monitors students participating in an independent study.
- Provides classroom instruction in various subjects, and at various
Level of Supervision
- Given: Supervises the work of academic staff with management over
site for hiring, performance management, professional development
and training, and recommending and approving personnel actions such
as salary increases and promotions.
- Received - Works under minimal supervision and relies on
experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned goals and
consults with superior or higher levels of management on the more
difficult and complex phases of work. Reports to Executive Director
of Healthy Living Academy.
- Internal: Interacts with staff, students, and professionals.
- External: Interacts with parents, consultants and academic
professional at other schools.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree required, Teaching Certificate and
Masters degree in education, psychology, social work or related
- Experience: Should have experience working with and around
adolescents. Previous teaching and supervising experience required,
preferably various subjects at various levels. Should have
experience working with special education students and assigning
students to the correct level. Exemplifies a strong overall work
ethic in all areas of responsibility, develops, and maintains
positive, healthy relationships with students. Intermediate level of
PC skills required.
Certificates, Licenses: Valid Drivers License and good driving
record, CPR, First Aid, Teaching Certificate preferred.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform First Aid and CPR.
Inclination to physical fitness and healthy living is preferred.
Decision Making Responsibilities: Will be responsible for homework,
classroom behavior, and attendance. Will confer with Program
Director and others for major decisions affecting students (grades,
graduation, and ability to succeed in classes). Makes daily
operations decisions regarding best course of action for academic
staff to enhance student learning.
To apply, please contact:
Healthy Living Academies