Job Opening: Associate Partner, NewSchools Venture Fund: DC, Boston or Oakland
Position: Associate Partner
Organization: NewSchools Venture Fund
Location: Washington, DC, Boston, MA, or Oakland, CA
Interested candidates should submit a resume andone-page cover letter via e-mail to cityfundsrecruitment@.... Application deadline is March 15, 2013. Pleasespecify your geographic preference for Washington, DC, Boston, MA, or Oakland,CA in your cover letter.
NewSchoolsVenture Fund is a venture philanthropy firm working to transform publiceducation through powerful ideas and passionate entrepreneurs so that allchildren especially those in underserved communities have the opportunityto succeed. As a national nonprofit venture philanthropy firm, we supporteducation entrepreneurs, a special breed of innovators who create new nonprofitand for-profit organizations that redefine our sense of what is possible inpublic education. We take an active role with each venture in our portfolio tohelp them create sustainable organizations that generate breakthrough resultsfor the students they serve. In addition to the direct support we provide tothose entrepreneurs, NewSchools plays an important role in connecting theirwork to the broader landscape of public education reform, by analyzing the resultsof our work, publishing key insights, commissioning relevant research, and conveningthought leaders.
NewSchoolsbelieves that communities need strong systems of high-performing public schoolsin order to thrive economically and culturally. Our City Funds support the growth of entrepreneurial organizations thatcan dramatically improve education for low-income students in targeted urbanareas. We currently operate City Fundsin Washington, DC, Newark, NJ and Boston, MA and are exploring the launch ofseveral additional funds, including one in encompassing Connecticut's major citiesand one serving Oakland, CA. City Funds pool local and national philanthropy tocreate a vibrant ecosystem of education entrepreneurs who can acceleratetransformation of the public school system.
Pleasevisit our website at www.newschools.org to learn more about NewSchools VentureFund.
NewSchools is a small organization of about 35people located in three cities, Oakland (where we are headquartered), Bostonand Washington, DC. We are seeking to add multiple Associate Partners to ourteam. The Associate Partners will be key members of the NewSchools team andwill have the opportunity to work closely with educational organizations, boardmembers, and a large network of entrepreneurial leaders who are committed totransforming public education by ensuring that all children especially thoseunderserved have the opportunity to succeed in the 21st century.
The Associate Partner's role is primarily tosupport NewSchools' leadership team in the cultivation and assessment ofpotential investment opportunities, and the ongoing support of theseentrepreneurial organizations post-investment. In this role, the Associate Partner will help execute an overall marketstrategy, while at the same time taking direct responsibility for managing manyof the operational aspects of venture relationships. Investments by NewSchools'City Funds will likely focus on supporting emerging charter school networksthat are strengthening and growing the charter sector, entrepreneurialorganizations that provide talent and tools to schools to help them do theirwork better, and organizations that advance quality and accountability in education.Associate Partners also lead and participate in projects that supportNewSchools' networking and organizational activities.
Key responsibilities will include,but are not limited to, the following activities.
· Workingclosely with NewSchools' leadership team to identify, develop and assess newinvestment opportunities; lead key sections of diligence; presentrecommendations to the NewSchools leadership team; collect and analyze dataregarding venture operations and performance; and provide management assistanceto NewSchools' portfolio organizations in their efforts to achieve interimmilestones and longer term goals
· Documentlearnings and develop tools to support NewSchools' ventures in their efforts toachieve organizational and educational goals
· Assistin the management and development of the NewSchools network and events, andrepresent NewSchools at events
· Workwith the NewSchools leadership team to research, develop, refine andcommunicate organizational strategy and goals
· Supportfundraising efforts, the preparation of grant proposals and reports, and theplanning for funder meetings
· Provideguidance, assistance and development support to NewSchools' analysts, asrequired
· Collaboratewith colleagues across the organization on projects and events
Skills and Qualifications
· Demonstratedcommitment to the improvement of public education and working with diversecommunities
· Effectiveproject management skills, attention to detail, and ability to drive towardcompletion
· Strongquantitative and qualitative analytical skills in order to understand,breakdown and address complex problems; proficiency in financial modeling andfinancial statement analysis a plus
· Insightfulstrategic thinker with strong oral and written communication skills
· Provenability to develop presentations and present analyses
· Abilityto manage multiple priorities and high ambiguity
· Provenability to learn quickly and continuously
· Willingnessto take initiative and own high priority tasks and projects
· Personalpresence and communication skills necessary to effectively interact withexternal stakeholders
Education and Experience
· Minimum3-4 years of experience with progressive levels of leadership andresponsibility
· Consulting,investment banking, venture capital, or private equity experience, as well as teachingor entrepreneurial experience, highly valued
· Graduatedegree in related field (or equivalent experience)
Working Style and Personal Qualities
· Self-directed,self-starter able to manage multiple priorities
· Managementand operating style suited to working in a small-office setting with limitedsupport staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
· Abilityto build strong working relationships built on trust, respect, clear communicationand shared goals
· Identifywith NewSchools' Core Values, which include acting to create entrepreneurial,transformative solutions
A competitive compensation packageincluding base salary, performance bonus, and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equalopportunity employer. People of color are encouraged to apply. In your coverletter, please indicate how you heard of this opportunity.