Job Opening: Alpha Public Schools Education Specialist
- View SourceBe the Reason a Child Graduates from College: Become an Education Specialist at Alpha Public Schools
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools operating secondary schools that use blended learning approaches to enhance teaching and personalize the student experience. Alpha: Blanca Alvarado Middle School, our first charter school, opened in the fall of 2012 in the Alum Rock School District of East San Jose. Alpha's mission is to provide children from high-poverty communities an education that effectively develops the academic skills and competencies of character to overcome the achievement gap, graduate from college, and become self-reliant and productive leaders.
Alpha is Seeking Entrepreneurial Teachers who will Thrive in a Dynamic Startup Environment
An excellent teaching corps rests at the foundation of Alpha's success. It is the vehicle by which we will deliver on our promise of exceptional student achievement. Alpha teachers have high expectations for all students and a willingness to work hard, doing whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student. They are risk takers who embrace change, commit to continuous improvement, and learn from data and from their own failures. They will be eager to and capable of giving and receiving constructive criticism and of collaborating constantly as part of a team. Our teachers possess a growth mindset, strong personal character, and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. Finally, Alpha's teachers hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college, and that it is the responsibility of secondary school teachers to ensure that success.
Alpha's Education Specialist Should:
1. Have 2-5 years of experience providing specialized academic instruction to students with disabilities in multiple grades experience in an urban public school preferred but not required; must hold a valid California Mild/Moderate Education Specialist; possession of a general education multiple or single subject credential is preferred
2. Demonstrate a relentless drive to advance the minds and lives of students with disabilities in and out of the classroom.
3. Be hard-working, punctual, urgent, energetic, and willing to learn and adapt, embracing a spirit of selfreflection and possessing a constant desire to improve.
4. Demonstrate evidence of self-motivation, desire to be a team player, and strong sense of personal responsibility.
5. Possess strong organizational skills, communication skills (with children and with peers), and problem solving skills.
6. Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese.What Alpha Offers Its Teachers
As a teacher at Alpha, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. You will significantly and directly impact the success and direction of a start-up charter school, and have the opportunity to advance into a leadership role within a rapidly growing organization. Alpha offers competitive starting salaries including a ten percent, merit-based bonus; excellent medical benefits; a safe, engaging, dynamic work environment; a remarkably supportive staff and organization with all the resources required for success; and a real chance to change children's lives and to revitalize an under-served community.
Under the direction and supervision of the principal, the education specialist will provide specialized academic instruction to identified students with disabilities who meet eligibility criteria established by federal and state
Provide push in, pull out, and/or consultative specialized academic instruction for students with disabilities.
Provide legally defensible implementation of services, supports, accommodations, and modifications as provided by students' IEPs
Demonstrate knowledge of and compliance with special education laws, as well as school policies and procedures
Collaborate with general education teachers to ensure consistent implementation of IEPs across all school environments
Prepare daily lesson plans utilizing a variety of instructional strategies and techniques based on individual need
Utilize assessment results, both formal and informal, to develop legally defensible and data-driven
Collect data on and monitor individual student performance, adjusting instruction and supports as necessary to ensure progress toward IEP goals
Provide timely feedback to and facilitate collaboration and communication between students, parents, and general education teachers
Knowledge and Skills
All areas of special education including behavior management, learning theories and techniques, and curriculum development
Current special education state and federal laws and regulations
Procedures and policies pertaining to the development of IEPs
Experience with SEIS is preferred
Assessment practices and data collection
Ability to work with administrators, teachers, staff, students, and parents in a productive and effective manner
Ability to modify general education curriculum to maintain compliance with students' IEP accommodations
Ability to plan, manage, and organize a multi-grade level caseload
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
To Apply to Teach at Alpha:
Please send the following items to Paige Abramson Hirsch at jobs@...:
2. A cover letter that includes a response to the following question: You have a student who consistently misbehaves and has not responded to the interventions of the schoolwide discipline system. What do you do?
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. A single PDF version containing both documents is preferred. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.