Job Opening: Reading Partners Regional Executive Director, Los Angeles
- Reading Partners, a highly effective literacy intervention program, is searching for an executive leader and fundraiser to manage and direct our Los Angeles Region.The perfect candidate has worked in K-12 and maintains relationships in the sector, understands the funding landscape in LA for an organization like Reading Partners, and has worked with and managed high-level stakeholders. We're looking for a great leader: somebody who will help shape the expansion and growth of Reading Partners in LA.
Regional Executive Director - Los Angeles
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 5,000 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, Maryland, and Colorado with a budget of over $13M. As one of only a handful of nonprofits to receive two highly competitive federal Social Innovation Fund grants, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visitwww.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
- Focus on children from low-income communities.
- Give one-on-one instruction at the student's reading level.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
- Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
- Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child's life.
Reading Partners is seeking a dynamic, self-starter to be Regional Executive Director (RED) - Los Angeles. S/he will oversee programs serving 10 elementary schools, lead a program, development, and administrative staff of 15+ people, and have bottom line fiscal responsibility and partnership development for the region.
The ideal candidate is a social entrepreneur who has deep connections to the K-5 educational and/or non-profit sector, state/local officials and philanthropic leaders who can accelerate Reading Partners regional program expansion.
- The RED reports to the Vice President of Field Operations and is a member of the RP Management Team.
- This position will work closely with the RP regional boards in specific sites as well as with the national board of directors.
Executive Leadership and Fund Development
- Oversee FY 2013 regional budget of $1.2 - $1.5mm
- The ED will work closely with the regional board and assume primary responsibility for raising private and municipal funds in 2012-13, with this number increasing in future years to allow for regional growth.
- Work with the national office to set fund development goals in alignment with the regional plan and ensure that these goals are consistently met or exceeded.
- Manage regional boards for fund development, program expansion and ensuring effective local leadership and ambassadorship.
- Provide executive oversight of all program operations, ensuring their compliance with national standards of program quality and efficacy in advancing RP's organizational mission.
- Partner with the RP national office to execute a rigorous program monitoring and evaluation system designed to provide the highest levels of quality assurance.
- Serve as the overall executive manager of field operations within the region, with responsibility for leading staff through training, implementation of launch and growth plans for sites.
- Oversee all business functions (accounting, HR, IT, legal, etc.) with the highest degree of professional standards in cooperation with the national office.
- Build organizational infrastructure and capacity to support future growth.
- Build and lead a high-caliber staff of program, development, and operations professionals.
- Oversee professional development and management training for regional staff, upholding RP's culture of continuous improvement and employee advancement.
- Engage and manage relationships with elected officials and public sector partners (municipal, school board, state and district staff for Congressional offices) to support advancement of Reading Partners as a key partner in the educational system in the region
- Support RP's role in the policy dialogue around literacy, education and national service
- Increase organizational visibility and profile in local media markets through the successful implementation of a regional communications plan.
- Serve as primary local public spokesperson for RP, acting as the public face of the organization within the region.
- Create and lead a broad coalition of nonprofit, for-profit, and governmental entities to work together to affect students' reading success.
- Significant experience in fund development, preferably in the Los Angeles area and including past work in both front-line fundraising and at the strategy/management level.
- Experience working with nonprofits, school districts, government officials, and philanthropic organizations in the Los Angeles region.
- At least five years of management experience preferably in the nonprofit sector as an executive/manager or highly involved board member.
- Extensive experience in staff recruitment, management, and development, demonstrating excellent leadership skills.
- Significant business management experience, including the ability to manage large and complex operating budgets.
- Exceptional communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to local accountability and an understanding of the role of a regional leader within a national organization.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, highly adaptive environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Excellent computer skills.
- M.Ed., MBA, or other relevant postgraduate degree.
- Experience in the field of K-5 education, especially within the context of Title I schools.
- Experience working with nationally or regionally scaled nonprofits, especially high growth nonprofits.
The Regional Executive Director travels within the Los Angeles region on a weekly basis.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Also requires moderate to intense concentration due to complexity and/or need to meet deadlines, and flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits and a generous vacation, sick and holiday schedule.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT
- Thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in the position, relevant experience/qualifications, and salary history for the past three roles.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.