Job opening at GreatSchools: Senior Product Manager
San Francisco, CA
Senior Product Manager
GreatSchools.net is a nonprofit, online guide to K-12 schools. Based
in downtown San Francisco, we are a small Internet corporation
funded by philanthropists, corporations and foundations. Our mission
is to provide parents with the information they need to choose
schools, support their children's education and advocate for
Senior Product Manager
The Senior Product Manager will play a key role in building the next
generation UI, design and product offering of the Web's leading K-12
The Senior Product Manager will be responsible for managing all
aspects of product planning and development for GreatSchools.net:
identifying customer needs and trends; determining market
requirements, inventing product solutions; and managing the design,
development, and continuous improvement of high-quality product
content and features. Priorities will include: improving Web site
usability through improved UI and design; helping to expand and
refine our fee-based subscription service; growing our newsletter
subscription acquisition; promoting new and current content
offerings; and working with the management team to develop,
introduce and iterate new features.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent sense of Web-user
behavior and preferences, plus the organizational, analytical and
communications skills required to create an outstanding user
experience. Excellent communication skills, a strong technical
background and a proven track record of interfacing between cross-
functional teams (e.g. editorial, business and engineering) are
The Senior Product Manager of GreatSchools.net will report to the
organization's Vice President of Marketing.
- Work closely with the other members of our product management team
to develop a product roadmap, establish product requirements and
priorities, schedule projects, and insure timely implementation of
product enhancements and new products.
- Guide projects through the development process by communicating
technical requirements to the editorial team, prototyping user-
interface possibilities, writing functional specifications for the
engineering team, and conducting QA of finished products.
- Gather and synthesize user and staff feedback, assess the degree
to which the site meets the needs of our target market, and
recommend interface changes to improve functionality and usability.
- Work with the engineering team on the timely development, testing
and rapid deployment of new features for GreatSchools.net
- Implement changes to the site, including building HTML,
coordinating content coming from the editorial and marketing teams,
and moving changes from the development server through the staging
server to the live server.
- Conduct quality assurance testing, including identifying bugs, and
work with the engineering team to both isolate their cause and
- Develop and analyze site traffic metrics to identify usage
patterns and drive product improvements with editorial and business
- Perform competitive analyses and identify opportunities for
- Work closely with other members of the GreatSchools.net product
team to devise and implement an evolving vision of the site.
- Demonstrated leadership and product management skillsa minimum of
5 years experience managing the development of successful Web
products and services for a national audience, including 3 years
working with consumer products/services.
- Excellent hands-on production skills and extensive experience in
Web site development.
- Proven track record of coordinating projects across multiple
departments and skill sets.
- Experience working with engineers in technical Web environment.
- Basic knowledge of HTML required; knowledge of PhotoShop, MySQL
and Perl (or other comparable programming language) very valuable.
- A background in working with parents and education-related
- Experience developing online communities a plus.
- Flexible, entrepreneurial and able to work in a fast-changing
- Independent self-starter and outstanding team player.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in an effective manner.
- Highly organized, deadline- and detail-oriented.
- Superior communications, presentation and strategic analysis
- Strong commitment to the organization's mission of helping parents
make better decisions about their children's education and improving
- Salary commensurate with experience. Medical, dental and vision
benefits plus retirement plan. Diversity welcomed.
Please send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to
jobs@... with "Product Manager" in the subject line.
Applications without cover letters will not be considered.