Job Opening: President for BUILD, Redwood City, CA
- Position: President
Location: Redwood City, CA
BUILD seeks an exceptional leader and executive manager to oversee daily operations of the organization and work closely with the CEO/Founder and National Board of Directors to help chart a course for BUILD's continued impact and growth. Reporting directly to the CEO, the inaugural President of BUILD will join the organization at an exciting time of transition and growth. The President must be a dynamic, forward-thinking leader and administrator with an exceptional work ethic and general management skills. The President will have had significant experience in managing, mentoring and motivating internal and external constituents. The President will, at times, stand in for the CEO and Founder externally, which will require the person to be a powerful speaker and facilitator. However, the President will be most focused on running the business of BUILD. The President must have vision and be able to inspire through our next high-growth phase with a broad range of fiscal and strategic responsibilities. This is a full-time position located in Redwood City, CA with periodic travel to regional sites.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Provide inspirational leadership and day-to-day management to the Executive Team overseeing all functional areas of the organization: Programs, Finance, Development and Operations, including managing Regional Directors to ensure they achieve impact and student growth in their regions
- Lead the implementation of BUILD's new national growth strategy
- Ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization; establish effective decision-making processes that will enable BUILD to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives
- Ensure that BUILD's strategy and vision are consistently aligned across the national office and regional sites
- Support the development and management of relationships with partner and other support organizations that seek to promote college readiness among disadvantaged youth
- In partnership with the CEO, steward the Board of Directors, ensuring that they are appropriately engaged, recognized and informed; help build a diverse and inclusive Board representative of the community that is highly engaged and willing to leverage networks and secure resources
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurements of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals
Organizational Development and Operational Efficiencies
- Build leadership within BUILD's senior management team to ensure effective decision-making and consistent communication and execution on organizational decisions
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization
- Create and promote a positive, multicultural work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization's strategy, operational methods and data collection needs
- Support human capital work, including the recruitment and retention of top-tier personnel and the promotion of a culture of learning that values strong links between individual and team performance and overall organizational performance measures
- Oversee the implementation of an enhanced project management system
- Partner with the senior management team and the Board to translate strategies and priorities into results-oriented action plans and ensure effective implementation of these plans across the organization
- Provide guidance and leadership in the development of the organization's budgets and reporting and maintain best practices in all aspects of financial operations, including setting financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff
Development and Public Relations
- Support the VP of Development's work to continually broaden and diversify BUILD's base of financial support for both operational expenses and future growth
- Represent BUILD with funders, partners and other supporters and serve as spokesperson for the organization as needed
- Work closely with CEO to ensure the development and cultivation of strong relationships with existing and new funders
- Coordinate appropriately with CEO to maintain a strong presence for BUILD in public policy discussion
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
- Managing Performance - Take responsibility for one's own or one's employees' performance by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback and addressing performance problems and issues promptly
- Strategic Thinking - Take into account and analyze various points of view and pieces of data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context
- Excellence in Communication - Clearly expresses ideas and concepts verbally, speaking with candor and confidence. Demonstrates attention to understanding others' ideas and perspectives through active listening. Varies communication style and method based on recipient needs. Expresses self effectively in writing. Exhibits willingness to share critical information and updates with others
- Vision - Envision innovative yet achievable possibilities for the future and communicate those possibilities to constituents in an inspiring and motivational style
- Forward Thinking - Anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies
- Entrepreneurialism - Demonstrate comfort with risk- and initiative-taking in order to achieve unique and aggressive goals
- Public Speaking/Presentations - Develop and deliver presentations to audiences of varied sizes with appropriate content, tone and timing
Strong candidates will also possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA, MPA or related advanced degree
- At least 15+ years of progressive management experience
- A combination of non-profit and for-profit experience ideal; management of a global or multi-site organization required
- Significant board development, fundraising, marketing/branding and fiscal management experience a must
- Proven management skills overseeing an executive staff and team of 30+ members with a strong commitment to the professional development of staff and exceptional track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team
- A financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate and guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills that support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions
- Outstanding and enthusiastic presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an inspirational and outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder and fundraiser
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
BUILD has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Molly Brennan at
BUILD is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
Founded in 1999, BUILD's mission is to use entrepreneurship to excite and propel disengaged, low-income students through high school to college success. We believe that the power of student ideas in action drives youth to reach their fullest potential in school and beyond. Our four-year high school program offers a unique blend of entrepreneurship, academics, and personal support that attracts and motivates many students who are otherwise at high risk of failing classes and dropping out of high school.
This real-world business experience makes school relevant and motivates disengaged youth to succeed. To help them become college-eligible, students also receive individualized academic support and advising for their schoolwork and college planning. Entrepreneurship is the hookbut college is the goal. Over the past thirteen years, 95% of BUILD seniors have been accepted to college, with over 80% accepted to 4-year colleges and universities.
BUILD currently serves over 1,000 high school students in 20 schools and has site-based operations Redwood City and Oakland, CA; Washington DC; and Boston, MA. For more information see: www.build.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained search and consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.