Job Opening: Managing Director, Business & Partnership Development Breakthrough Collaborative
Managing Director, Business & Partnership Development
Location: San Francisco, CA
Organizational Overview: Breakthrough Collaborative is a leading national organization that prepares highly-motivated, under-resourced middle and high school students to enter and thrive in four-year colleges, and inspires and develops talented high school and college students to pursue careers in the field of education. Breakthrough has been recognized as the nation's top summer academic program by the National Summer Learning Association in 2007, as the 2006 recipient of the prestigious Klingenstein Leadership Award from the Klingenstein Center at Columbia University, and as one of the 2010 winners of the Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. For more information, please visit www.breakthroughcollaborative.org.
Position Overview: As we continue to expand our impact nationally, Breakthrough is seeking a full-time Managing Director of Business & Partnership Development to establish, shape and drive strategic business relationships with schools, school districts, nonprofits, universities, and charter management organizations across the country. The Managing Director of Business & Partnership Development will join Breakthrough's senior leadership team and work in close collaboration with the National Executive Director. More specifically, s/he will be responsible for: (1) Defining Breakthrough's strategic partner engagement plan; (2) Establishing, developing and managing a portfolio of national partners; (3) Building, training, and managing a team to establish and manage regional partners; (4) Preparing presentations and other collateral for potential partner pitch opportunities; and (5) Negotiating contracts and working with partners to accomplish key Breakthrough objectives.
The Managing Director of Business & Partnership Development is a new position. Breakthrough is looking for a highly innovative and strategic thinker with a proven track record in education sector business development. A competitive candidate will provide measurable results from his/her past experiences. This is a critical, highly visible position that calls for service as an ambassador for Breakthrough and its constituents in discussion with key partners. This position requires a motivated, relationship-oriented, analytical thinker, who can manage multiple people and projects at once, to communicate effectively and convincingly via multiple platforms and lead a high-performing, fast-paced team.
The Managing Director of Business & Partnership Development will be an integral member of the Breakthrough Collaborative National Team and will be charged with forging new strategic relationships with school districts, nonprofits, and charter management organizations to significantly increase the number of middle-school students and teachers served annually. The Managing Director of Business & Partnership Development will be expected to generate leads, maintain a 'client' pipeline, drive revenue growth, and close deals. Candidates should be comfortable meeting annual 'sales' targets.
This is a full-time, exempt position located in San Francisco.
Responsibilities: Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Business & Partnership Development
· Develop partnership strategy related to new and established Breakthrough focus areas based on expertise and understanding of the education sector's landscape and trends.
· Identify, structure, negotiate and close large, strategic relationships with prospective partners.
· Develop and manage multi-faceted, national and regional, strategic relationships with senior-level non-profit representatives.
· Prepare multiple professional presentations for a variety of pitch opportunities and audiences per week.
· Manage business and partnership development engagements to ensure all deliverables are completed on time, and according to pre-determined expectations.
· Lead, manage, and represent the Breakthrough Collaborative Partnerships Team through annual and quarterly planning, strategy, execution and analysis of key metrics.
· Evaluate partnership options by managing internal priorities and working to understand potential partners' needs and goals and developing win-win negotiating strategies for the benefit of each party.
· Track progress of partnership management efforts to ensure continued momentum.
· Share experiences and learnings across the organization.
· Attend and present at local, regional and national conferences focused on serving students similar to Breakthrough population.
· Provide needs-responsive support to national and local staff.
· Attend and present at Breakthrough's annual all staff retreat, conference, and other key staff events.
· Assist with other projects and tasks as needed.
Qualifications: Breakthrough Collaborative is looking for an individual who is genuinely committed to Breakthrough's mission and values and is looking to work in an organization focused on excellence. Applying candidates should meet or exceed the following qualifications:
· BA or BS required, MBA or other advanced degree highly preferred;
· 10+ years of relevant experience, including five years of related account/partner management, business development, or strategic consulting experience;
· Experience working with school districts, CMO's, boards of education, and federal and state agencies;
· 4+ years of people management experience, with a proven ability to develop and inspire people and teams;
· Experience identifying a portfolio of partners and structuring complex contracts, with a proven track record of negotiating and executing deals;
· Proven ability to build and leverage relationships toward successful outcomes and build consensus even in the face of competing priorities;
· Excellent oral and written communications skills;
· Ability to manage ambiguity and work on multiple projects and adjust quickly to shifting priorities;
· Ability to meet deadlines, exercise good judgment, and work well as a member of a team;
· Willingness to travel across the U.S. (approximately 25%);
· Desire to make a real contribution to a successful and growing nonprofit that is making a difference in education;
· Willingness and readiness to work as a member of a remote team;
· Deep-seated belief in the Breakthrough Collaborative mission.
Compensation: The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and expertise, plus competitive medical benefits and generous vacation leave.
To apply: Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter detailing your experience developing strategic partnerships in education to talent@... with the subject line "Managing Director, Business & Partnership Development." A complete cover letter will outline the specific action steps you would take to achieve the ambitious goals for the position. Your cover letter should also indicate the depth and breadth of your portfolio of contacts within education and your ability to expand and deepen Breakthrough's existing relationships. Applications with generic cover letters not specifically addressing the requirements of the position will not be considered.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Breakthrough Collaborative is an equal opportunity employer and makes a particular effort to recruit candidates from all backgrounds.