Job Opening: BUILD Site Director in Redwood City
Foundedin 1999, BUILD's mission is to use entrepreneurship to excite and propeldisengaged, low-income students through high school to college success. Webelieve that the power of student ideas in action drives youth to reach theirfullest potential in school and beyond. Our four-year high school programoffers a unique blend of entrepreneurship, academics, and personal support thatattracts and motivates students who are otherwise at high risk of failingclasses and dropping out of high school.
Ourstudents develop their own business ideas, write business plans, pitch to funders,and launch real businesses. This real-world business experience makes schoolrelevant and motivates them to succeed. To help them become college-eligible,students also receive individualized academic support and advising for their school-workand college planning.
BUILDcurrently serves over 1,000 high school students at programs located in RedwoodCity, and Oakland, CA; Washington DC; and Boston, MA. For more information, see:.
Reportingdirectly to the Program Director (PD), the Site Director (SD) will managestaff, provide programmatic leadership and accountability, oversee siteoperations, and build school and local community partnerships. While managing thesite's budget and staff, the SD ensures the site is operating effectively and programoutcomes are met.
- Manage a team of full-time and temporary staff to meet organizationally agreed-upon outcomes.
- Provide day-to-day direction and coaching for staff. Conduct mid- and year-end performance reviews with all direct reports to assure programmatic outcomes and promote staff development.
- Foster a site culture environment of effective communication, team work, perseverance, and collaboration.
- Document and share best practices and learnings between the team and across sites in partnership with other Site Directors to cultivate a culture of organizational learning and excellence.
- Manage the implementation of BUILD's program and curriculum to ensure student outcomes.
- Partner with the National Program Team (NPT) to deliver the BUILD program curriculum at your site while compiling, analyzing and reporting on the site's overall progress and performance on site metrics to ensure impact.
- Provide guidance and support to the team for all programmatic events, making sure logistics are in place and ensuring day-of event participation, including student preparation.
- Participate in the annual planning and budgeting process; manage its implementation.
- Make sure all aspects of site operations are meeting the needs of staff and students, including vendor relations, ordering supplies, etc.
School and CommunityPartnerships
- Develop and manage partnerships with school administrators, community organizations, corporations and local universities to support the implementation of BUILD programs
- Work closely with the RED to deepen program impact and secure new school partnerships, including recruiting and hiring E1 teachers as needed.
· BA or BS in education, non-profit management,social work, program evaluation, or related field preferred.
· 4+ years of managerial and relevant program experience;experiential education or entrepreneurship experience preferred. Must haveexperience working with students from under-resourced communities.
· Proven track record of effectively recruiting,training and managing staff to achieve programmatic excellence.
· Experience in developing and managing annualplans and budgets. .
· Proven ability to think strategically andexecute on multiple priorities simultaneously. Experience using data to improveprogram quality and drive decision-making a plus.
· Excellent organizational skills, analyticalability, creativity, flexibility, and strong interpersonal and communicationskills.
In addition, successfulcandidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination ofprevious education/work experiences:
- ManagingPerformance: Effectively assess the strengths andweaknesses of each employee, collaboratively set goals and provide support formeeting goals, and utilize strategies appropriate for each employee's work/learningstyle.
- Managing Change: Demonstrate support for innovation and changes needed to improve theorganization's effectiveness; help others to successfully manage organizationalchange.
- ProjectManagement: Identify the steps of a project, setappropriate deadlines, identify required participants, and hold self and othersaccountable to outcomes and deadlines.
- ResultsOrientation: Establish site focus and drive staff effortsand activities to achieving those overarching results.
- QuantitativeAnalysis: Review quantitative data in order torecognize patterns, identify additional information or data needed, and drawconclusions.
· Number of Openings: 1
· Location: Redwood City, CA
· Frequent travelbetween local sites is required so employees must have their own vehicle fortransportation (valid proof of insurance required). Mileage for work-relatedtravel beyond the normal commute will be reimbursed at the stipulated IRS rate.
· Occasional extendedtravel is required during the year for college visits, Washington, DC andBoston, MA BUILD site visits and other activities
· Capable of quicklymoving about in a fast-paced office environment, and able to lift 25 poundsfrom floor to table height.
BUILDoffers a competitive compensation and benefits package to all full-timeemployees, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending plan and a403(b) plan. In addition, BUILDemployees are eligible for paid vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per yearand a flexible work environment.
Toapply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to bayareacareers@... and include your locationpreference. Please put in the subjectline: "Site Director Redwood City". Inaddition, please include how you learned of the opening and your salaryrequirements in your cover letter.
Theposition is now open and we will begin to review resumes immediately. Please be advised that you will receive an automatedacknowledgement of your application. Wewill contact all applicants that meet the minimum requirements of therole. BUILD is an Equal OpportunityEmployer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for thisposition.