Job Opening: Principal at Future Is Now High School, New Orleans
Principal at Future Is Now High School, New Orleans
Industry: Education Function: Instructional Leadership / Teaching City: New Orleans State: LA Date Listed: 2012-12-09ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Future Is Now Schools was founded in 2010, by Steve Barr, founder of Green Dot Public Schools in Los Angeles, and Gideon Stein, Vice Chairman of Success Academy Charter Schools in New York. Funders include the Ford Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, New Schools Venture Fund and the Moriah Fund. Future Is Now Schools: New Orleans (FIN: New Orleans) has been approved for a Type 5 charter and has received approval for an $800,000 i3 start-up grant through New Schools for New Orleans.ABOUT THE POSITION:
FIN: New Orleans is looking for a hard-working, dedicated principal to lead a newly launched school in New Orleans that aims to leverage community strength and educator commitment to help students reach their potential as learners and leaders.
Under the direct supervision of the FIN: New Orleans Board of Trustees, and working closely with the leadership team overseeing grades 10-12, the Principal will build the new school from grade 9 as part of the turnaround of historic John McDonogh High School in the Recovery School District. The school, supported by special education teachers, guidance counselors, social workers, and committed educators, will, in time, use technological solutions for improving math and literacy skills as well as for providing advanced course access, credit recovery, and college and career development opportunities for students.
This is an ideal opportunity for an instructional expert and collaborative school leader to participate in the honing of the turnaround model that succeeded at Locke High School in California.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Create a model for rapid improvement of student outcomes by developing and executing the overall short and long term strategy to reach student achievement goals, with a focus on promoting high levels of academic achievement for all students
- Develop a world class program to recruit, retain and motivate exceptional teachers and school office staff
- Direct the implementation of effective research-based curriculum, instruction, blended learning and assessment practices
- Work with teachers to establish specific, targeted student performance goals; create data-driven plans in areas such as curriculum and assessment, teaching and learning, and professional development
- Conduct regular formal and informal classroom walk-throughs
- Create a culture of high expectations and a relentless focus on student achievement, operational efficiency and self-improvement
- Direct and supervise the guidance program of the school, instituting supportive student discipline policies to meet student population needs
- Support instructional excellence by ensuring that teachers receive appropriate coaching to implement successful classroom management and teaching strategies
- Manage annual performance review process for teachers and staff, ensuring that they are meeting or exceeding goals and providing documentation/evidence of progress
- Identify and reward strong performance and create opportunities for professional growth
- Plan the master schedule of classes for students and, in collaboration with teachers, assign staff
- Serve as the key external spokesperson for the school, conveying the school's mission and building strong relationships with constituents including students, teachers, parents, community members, and the media.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- A proven track record of improving student achievement, with at least two years of data documenting improved student outcomes
- Relevant Masters or equivalent degree preferred
- A passion for improving urban high schools and driving education reform
- Experience working in an urban school setting
- Experience and comfort using technology for instruction preferred
- Significant prior administrative experience, preferably at the high school level, along with substantial teaching experience at the high school level
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Proven management and team building skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Valid LA Ancillary Secondary School Principal Certificate / or comparable out of State Certification
Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
Apply at http://on-ramps.com/jobs/800