Job Opening: Major Gifts Officer, NewSchools Venture Fund
POSITION: Major Gifts Officer
ORGANIZATION: NewSchools Venture Fund
REPORTS TO: Chief Advancement Officer
LOCATION: Oakland, CA
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via-email to Deborah Mintz at hr@... by no later than January 31st, 2013.
Transforming Public Education
NewSchools is a non-profit venture philanthropy firm, founded in 1998 to transform K-12 education through entrepreneurship. We believe that just as entrepreneurs have reshaped many other industries, they can and will dramatically improve public education. Over time, we believe that bold innovators will transform public schools from one-size-fits-all, "factory" models into adaptive learning environments that provide all students with the excellent K-12 education they need to lead successful lives. NewSchools is dedicated to supporting these entrepreneurs and ensuring that traditionally underserved children benefit from their innovations
Investing in Education Entrepreneurs
NewSchools finds and invests in education entrepreneurs who expand the boundaries of what can be achieved for students from low-income communities. We seek entrepreneurs with the vision and capacity to build companies that will scale to serve millions of students, teachers, or schools. In addition to financial resources, we provide hands-on support by serving on governance boards, advising on strategic issues, and making vital connections to partners, customers, and funders.
Building a Movement
NewSchools is not just an investment firm or a foundation; we are the hub of a movement that seeks to transform a broken public education system. We connect, inspire, and galvanize 900+ educators, thought leaders, practitioners, policy makers, funders, and entrepreneurs each May at our Summit in Silicon Valley. We periodically gather the leaders in our portfolio for "Communities of Practice," to transfer good ideas, tackle shared challenges, and accelerate progress towards our shared goals. We also lobby at the state and federal level for policies that are favorable to entrepreneurs seeking to transform K-12 education.
Partnering with Philanthropists to Transform Public Education
To fund our work, we raise philanthropic dollars from donors who share our belief that entrepreneurs can change public education. We support and invest in both nonprofit and for-profit organizations; any financial returns recycle back into our funds. A significant portion of our investment corpus is unrestricted, allowing us to pursue unfamiliar but disruptive ideas.
This full-time, Oakland-based position at New Schools Venture Fund (NSVF) reports to the Chief Advancement Officer and is responsible for raising major gift support for specific funds, and/or for the overall work of NSVF, at the five-figure gift level. The successful candidate will build and manage a portfolio of approximately 150 major gift donors and prospects in assigned regions, and at various stages of their relationship with NSVF. In addition, the successful candidate will devote significant time to identifying new prospects to broaden NewSchools' base of support.
Responsibilities will include cold-calling (when necessary), prospecting, setting strategy, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of the aforementioned donors and prospects. The successful candidate for this position will be willing to travel, as needed, to meet with donors and prospects. Other important components of the job may include volunteer and committee management and event planning and management.
This position requires a sophisticated and comprehensive understanding of Major Gift fundraising principles and practices including outstanding listening and communication skills, extraordinary emotional intelligence, discretion, patience and professionalism. The successful candidate will value collegiality, and the opportunity to work closely with other members of both the fundraising team and also the broader NSVF team. S/he will enjoy membership in a high performing team that is part of a highly distributed organization. S/he will be self-motivated and highly organized. Excellent writing skills are a primary requirement of this position.
This position requires a comfort level with, and enthusiasm for, the direct solicitation of major gifts at the five to six figure level, and the knowledge of when solicitations should be delayed, or managed up through the senior leadership team at NSVF.
The successful candidate for this job will have some familiarity with the challenges facing public education in America. S/he will be a fast and eager learner capable of mastering complex content related to NewSchools' multiple lines of work. S/he will share our enthusiasm for entrepreneurship as an engine of social change and be capable of inspiring donors with a passion for our mission and our model.
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven ability to motivate, engage, and work with sophisticated philanthropists, donors, prospects, volunteers, investors, or similar constituencies.
- Comfort with, and enthusiasm for, cold-calling and prospect pipeline building on NSVF's behalf.
- A target of 100-150 individual donor or prospect visits a year required.
- Some experience and knowledge of education reform is required. The candidate must be motivated to learn continually.
- Excellent speaking, presentation skills and written communication skills required.
- Must be creative and proactive yet disciplined, discriminating and able to streamline work volume in order to maintain bottom line efforts in midst of multi-tasking and daily re-prioritizing, with CAO's guidance.
- Computer literacy required; must have experience with Microsoft Office Suite or Windows software, and ideally, Salesforce as a donor database.
- There is no administrative assistant assigned to support this position, and thus, in addition to computer literacy, the candidate must be comfortable working without administrative assistance.
- As NSVF is an ethos-driven environment, the successful candidate will be passionate, positive, intellectually curious and highly results oriented.
- Comfort working in a collegial and collaborative environment in which effective internal communication is highly valued
- Must be a skilled and patient listener as well as a person who is able to influence and persuade others.
- Must be honest, discrete and trustworthy.
- Must have an even disposition and be able to deal effectively and politely with people from all types of backgrounds and experiences in all types of potentially difficult situations.
- Must have the ability to evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound, and confidential judgment.
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented, and efficient.
- Must maintain a professional and caring demeanor and have a strong and tenacious work ethic.
- Must be collaborative, conscientious, and results-oriented.
- Must have the ability to innovate, think strategically, and conceptually, manage multiple projects simultaneously and handle even difficult situations with a sense of humor.
- Must exhibit great attention to detail and have the ability to produce clear documentation.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required, masters preferred.
- Minimum 7 years' experience in advanced (ideally in a university, college, or venture philanthropy setting) fundraising and administration or related transferable experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success in high-level annual or capital giving or applicable ability, writing fundraising materials, devising sophisticated cultivation and solicitation strategies, and events management is preferred.
Working Style and Personal Qualities
- Self-directed, self-starter able to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to build strong working relationships built on trust, respect, clear communication and shared goals
- Proactively initiates, develops, and maintains effective working relationships with team members.
- Working style suited to working in a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are encouraged to apply.